White spot on young panthers skin

guanagator

Avid Member
Gus
3C0E211F-3805-4CD3-B961-850C19302639_zpsg7ohzxt4.jpg

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. 3-4 month Panther. How long has it been in your care? 2 weeks bought from a site sponsor
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Twice this week to take outside to sun on an outdoor pothos.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets and silkworms What amount? What is the schedule? Free roaming crickets and silkworms put about 15 small crickets in the morning and a few silkworms around 3pm he eats most of the crickets and all the silkworms. I take out 4-5 crickets a night usually the bigger ones he ignores. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Calcium gel water, this week fresh mustard greens and carrots with some of the dry cricket gutload mix. Last week was potato and Apples.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? ReptiCalcwithout d3 on all his crickets, herpetitive and calc with d3 once so far, repashy low d came in mail today will be switching to that tomorrow for both my chams daily feeders.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand mist 3 times daily with non chlorinated tap water that's been treated and sat at least 24 hrs. See him drink rarely but occasionally he will immediately go to his umbrella plant and drink. Usually find him down in the plants if I come back while they are still wet so think he's just shy about it.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Looks normal solid and dark then white tip, I haven't had him tested yet.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He's an ambilobe bought from a site sponsor, long time breeder with good reputation. I sent them pics of the spot in question and he didn't know what it was which worried me but instructed me to monitor its size and the chameleons behavior.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 18x18x36
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 13 on 11 off to somewhat mirror what's happening outside now in north Florida will go to 12/12 in a few months. 4 bulb t 5 hood with one 5.0 for UVB and rest plant bulbs- no basking currently as temps are in desired range for young Panther.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking 83 bottom 74 dual digital thermometers
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Never below 45 usually high 60s. Mist a few times a day but in Florida even running ac humidity stays minimum around 50 inside.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Umbrella plant and jade plant, organically grown no foliar fertilization or pesticide with bigger pond stones covering soil.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is on a dresser in low traffic room with one side nearby north east facing window that gets direct am sun, no air directly hitting viv but circulation in room.
Location - Where are you geographically located? North Florida

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

A day or two after getting him a white spot appeared on his hip area about where the knee comes at rest. It hasn't grown in size or changed texture much since I first noticed it. Was whiter first few days then it is now. Since the beginning it's been barely noticeable when's he's relaxed and blue green hue but stands out like whiteout when he stresses or goes dark. Up close skin appears normal just lighter color. No other symptoms in fact the day I noticed it was the first day he started feeding heavily, first 24hrs or so he drank but didn't eat more than a few crickets. Sent pics to breeder after it didn't go away and he thought it may be a bruise or a mild burn but couldn't see how with my lighting set up. He's become more comfortable with us over the last week and now starts hunting as soon as prey is introduced. Other than the spot seems to be fine. He does spend a lot of time climbing around upside down, especially when hunting in the morning. Don't see him up there as often later in the day so I'm wondering if he's starting to want a bit hotter basking area? I'm going to add more vines at the top but already have multiple branches and vines just a few inches from screen top, more than my other Panther who never climbs upside down and only occasionally will use walls. Anybody have any ideas on the spot? Doesn't seem like a normal pre shed loosening and I've spent a few hours searching the forum and other websites but haven't came up with anything that really looks the same. Can take him to the vet but don't know if exposing him to that stress is worth it when otherwise he's acting fine, breeder said to keep an eye out and monitor its size. Pics hopefully attached.

8/4
4D845E9D-C403-45E2-9205-729A202A946F_zpsbgdwfxky.jpg
[/URL][/img]
F54B4B96-5427-40A9-BCC3-8541355F113A_zpsxyf1hosu.jpg
[/URL][/img]
8/6 last time I took him outside, wanted to get another shot today bc I think it's getting a little better but it's raining so will try tomorrow direct sun is only way to get a clear look or image since he's so tiny and active in his viv.
FB401800-7574-4F6E-AB56-1E07F3F7C614_zpsfxiuoqxk.jpg
[/URL][/img]
His home
49F7E9BF-B8D0-4A69-8406-29C62201E384_zpss7jywoej.jpg
[/URL][/img]

It seems to be fading back to normal, at least appears so this morning when I misted him. Even in his darker coloration the spot wasn't as obvious as it was last week. Hoping we have some afternoon sun so I can get a clear look later today. He was blue/ green when I observed him yesterday afternoon in his viv so I couldn't see any changes clearly. Still not sure what caused the spot initially, maybe a cricket took a bite? One or two have snuck past and overnighted with him but I couldn't discern any irritated spot within the discoloration. Still drinking, active, and feeding as soon as prey is introduced. He also seems to go on another hunt after his late afternoon misting, usually only has one or two crickets left but as soon as I stopped misting last couple days he's stalked them down.

It seems to be fading back to normal, at least appears so this morning when I misted him. Even in his darker coloration the spot wasn't as obvious as it was last week. Hoping we have some afternoon sun so I can get a clear look later today. He was blue/ green when I observed him yesterday afternoon in his viv so I couldn't see any changes clearly. Still not sure what caused the spot initially, maybe a cricket took a bite? One or two have snuck past and overnighted with him but I couldn't discern any irritated spot within the discoloration. Still drinking, active, and feeding as soon as prey is introduced. He also seems to go on another hunt after his late afternoon misting, usually only has one or two crickets left but as soon as I stopped misting last couple days he's stalked them down.

I don't know what this might be. The skin itself looks fine so I doubt it was due to a cricket bite. There isn't any swelling or pink around the edges of the spot that would suggest some sort of infection. An unusual place for a burn (if it was, it was a mild one). It almost looks like a hard water stain, but an odd place for one. He looks great overall. I also like your setup! Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks Carlton, it's got the breeder and I stumped as well. Ended up fishing last night so Gus didn't get any outside time but should have a chance to get him in the sun today. Really curious about the cause, ultimately I want to use his viv for another Cham when I move him to a bigger home in a couple months and I'm worried it may happen again if it was triggered by something environmental.

Back
Top Bottom