White scab on knee

edtheroach

I am a first time Chameleon owner. I named her Sylvanas Vinewalker (after my fav character in World of Warcraft).
PXL_20220613_214651819.MP.jpg

Current Problem - I noticed a few days ago that she has a white mark on her knee that looks different from her other knee so I'm worried it's a scab or wound or maybe an infection.
PXL_20220613_215624153.MP.jpg

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled female, approx. 8 to 9 months old. Purchased at Reptile show on April 23rd and was told she was between 6 to 7 months old.
Handling - I don't touch her at all
Feeding - I feed her about 10 small crickets a day (recently pinhead crickets and 10 to 20 fruit flies), about 3 to 5 wax worms a day (1 butterworm every other day), a few dubias here and there but she doesn't seem to eat them. Today I just started feeding baby hissers (my adults had a clutch a couple days ago). Was feeding both in morning and evening but now am only feeding in the morning as I read more about their ideal schedule. I have a mealworm feeder attached to the cage but I put wax worms in there to try and entice her more to eat them. I do not feed her mealworms.
Supplements - repticalcium D3 free on worms/roaches/small crickets (too hard to dust pinhead crickets) every feeding. Zoo Med's reptivite once every two weeks.
Watering - I mist enclosure twice a day by hand (misting system I bought has a leak). I have a pump water fountain inside enclosure and I've seen her drink from it a handful of times.
Fecal Description - brown fecal matter the size of a small bean. Yellowish substance that is a streak on the leaves.
History - I bought her at a reptile show from Southern Reptile Supplies in Austin, TX. They told me to buy the chameleon kit and a bunch of plastic plants which I realize now was bad advice. I've been watching Neptune Chameleon's YouTube channel and am waiting for the large UVB light to arrive. I just put a 1 gallon bucket of play sand in the enclosure yesterday. I'm hoping I'm not too late and that she isn't egg bound already.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - from zoo med reptibreeze Chameleon kit...30x16x16
Lighting - zoomed tropical lighting/heat kit. (Reptisun T5H0 coming on Thursday)
Temperature - 89.4 during the day. 76 lowest at night. Using zooMed digital thermometer on top of cage next to light. 12 hrs on, 12 hrs off.
Humidity - this is an area I'm struggling with. I spray the enclosure twice a day...the mister I bought has a leak that I haven't figured out how to fix yet. Right now in Texas summer, it's humid already.
Plants - next paycheck I will be purchasing life plants but for now she only has plastic plants.
Placement - her enclosure is on a small wooden table at the foot of my bed. I am typically only in my room a few hours a day and then at night so there's not a lot of traffic and no other pets are allowed in the room.
Location - San Antonio Texas
PXL_20220614_220150488.jpg
PXL_20220614_220129306.NIGHT.jpg

You said..."I am a first time Chameleon owner. I named her Sylvanas Vinewalker (after my fav character in World of Warcraft)"...welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons! Interesting name!

You said..."Current Problem - I noticed a few days ago that she has a white mark on her knee that looks different from her other knee so I'm worried it's a scab or wound or maybe an infection"... Not 100% sure it's a papilloma...but pretty sure.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled female, approx. 8 to 9 months old. Purchased at Reptile show on April 23rd and was told she was between 6 to 7 months old.
Feeding - I feed her about 10 small crickets a day (recently pinhead crickets and 10 to 20 fruit flies), about 3 to 5 wax worms a day (1 butterworm every other day), a few dubias here and there but she doesn't seem to eat them. Today I just started feeding baby hissers (my adults had a clutch a couple days ago). Was feeding both in morning and evening but now am only feeding in the morning as I read more about their ideal schedule. I have a mealworm feeder attached to the cage but I put wax worms in there to try and entice her more to eat them. I do not feed her mealworms.
SINCE SHE'S 8 OR 9 OLD, SHE ONLY NEEDS TO BE FED TWO OR THREE TIMES A WEEK AND MEDIUM OR LARGE CRICKETS SHOULD BE GOOD (go by the width of the some between her eyes). MAKE SURE THEY ARE WELL FED/GUTLOADED AND DUSTED. YOU'LL WANT TO CUT KEEP THE NUMBER IF FEEDERS LOWER TOO TOMSTOP HER FROM PRODUCING HUGE CLUTCHES...AND CONTROL THE TEMPERATURE TOO.
Supplements - repticalcium D3 free on worms/roaches/small crickets (too hard to dust pinhead crickets) every feeding. Zoo Med's reptivite once every two weeks.
Watering - I mist enclosure twice a day by hand (misting system I bought has a leak). I have a pump water fountain inside enclosure and I've seen her drink from it a handful of times.
Fecal Description - brown fecal matter the size of a small bean. Yellowish substance that is a streak on the leaves. SEEMS LIKE A SMALL ANOUNT IF POOP...SO MAYBE ITS BECUSE IF THE SIZE OF INSECTS YOURE FEEDING HER. IS THE OTHER PART VERY YELLOW OR JUST A TINGE IF YELLOW?
History - I bought her at a reptile show from Southern Reptile Supplies in Austin, TX. They told me to buy the chameleon kit and a bunch of plastic plants which I realize now was bad advice. I've been watching Neptune Chameleon's YouTube channel and am waiting for the large UVB light to arrive. I just put a 1 gallon bucket of play sand in the enclosure yesterday. I'm hoping I'm not too late and that she isn't egg bound already.
GOOD THAT YOUVE BEEN WATCHING NEPTUNE. YOU COULD WATCH CHAMELEON ACADEMY TOO. https://chameleonacademy.com
GOOD THAT YOU PUT A LAY BIN IN HER CAGE!
Cage Info:
Lighting - zoomed tropical lighting/heat kit. (Reptisun T5H0 coming on Thursday) THE UVB IS IMPORTANT!
Temperature - 89.4 during the day. 76 lowest at night. Using zooMed digital thermometer on top of cage next to light. 12 hrs on, 12 hrs off. I WOULD LOWER THE BASKING TEMPERATURE TO 80F NOW.
Humidity - this is an area I'm struggling with. I spray the enclosure twice a day...the mister I bought has a leak that I haven't figured out how to fix yet. Right now in Texas summer, it's humid already.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE HUMIDITY IS?
Plants - next paycheck I will be purchasing life plants but for now she only has plastic plants. ITS IMPORTANT TO HAVE REAL PLANTS...NON TOXIC...WELL WASHED, BOTH SIDES IF THE LEAVES SINCE VEILEDS (ESPECIALLY FEMALES) MIPUNCH ON THEM.
Placement - her enclosure is on a small wooden table at the foot of my bed. I am typically only in my room a few hours a day and then at night so there's not a lot of traffic and no other pets are allowed in the room.

I MAY HAVE MISSED A COUPLE OF THINGS... @MissSkittles does a better job of this than I do!

@kinyonga seems not to have missed anything. I do have a question about your ReptiVite…does it have D3 in it? If it doesn’t, you’ll need to get/use a calcium with D3 one feeding per week (the week in between using the ReptiVite).
How are you struggling with humidity? Too high or too low? Ideal level during the day is between 30-50%.
For feeders, variety is best. Here’s the graphics for feeders, gutloading and adding for plants too. :)
I’d definitely be taking her to a good vet experienced with chameleons for the knee bump.
CF7BF3EE-3F05-4EEA-AC53-BEE92AE563A1.jpeg
AC4AA43B-058D-470B-9A25-5CEA09D6E8AD.jpeg
CF358528-6347-4FEF-96AD-8227E78C5974.jpeg

@MissSkittles said..."I do have a question about your ReptiVite…does it have D3 in it? If it doesn’t, you’ll need to get/use a calcium with D3 one feeding per week (the week in between using the ReptiVite)"...see...I did miss something!

Also...she should be fed 3 to 5 medium to large crickets a day now...or equivalent in other insects.

You said..."I am a first time Chameleon owner. I named her Sylvanas Vinewalker (after my fav character in World of Warcraft)"...welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons! Interesting name!

You said..."Current Problem - I noticed a few days ago that she has a white mark on her knee that looks different from her other knee so I'm worried it's a scab or wound or maybe an infection"... Not 100% sure it's a papilloma...but pretty sure.

Chameleon Info:
SINCE SHE'S 8 OR 9 OLD, SHE ONLY NEEDS TO BE FED TWO OR THREE TIMES A WEEK AND MEDIUM OR LARGE CRICKETS SHOULD BE GOOD (go by the width of the some between her eyes). MAKE SURE THEY ARE WELL FED/GUTLOADED AND DUSTED. YOU'LL WANT TO CUT KEEP THE NUMBER IF FEEDERS LOWER TOO TOMSTOP HER FROM PRODUCING HUGE CLUTCHES...AND CONTROL THE TEMPERATURE TOO.
Fecal Description - brown fecal matter the size of a small bean. Yellowish substance that is a streak on the leaves. SEEMS LIKE A SMALL ANOUNT IF POOP...SO MAYBE ITS BECUSE IF THE SIZE OF INSECTS YOURE FEEDING HER. IS THE OTHER PART VERY YELLOW OR JUST A TINGE IF YELLOW?
GOOD THAT YOUVE BEEN WATCHING NEPTUNE. YOU COULD WATCH CHAMELEON ACADEMY TOO. https://chameleonacademy.com
GOOD THAT YOU PUT A LAY BIN IN HER CAGE!
Cage Info:
Lighting - zoomed tropical lighting/heat kit. (Reptisun T5H0 coming on Thursday) THE UVB IS IMPORTANT!
Temperature - 89.4 during the day. 76 lowest at night. Using zooMed digital thermometer on top of cage next to light. 12 hrs on, 12 hrs off. I WOULD LOWER THE BASKING TEMPERATURE TO 80F NOW.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE HUMIDITY IS?
Plants - next paycheck I will be purchasing life plants but for now she only has plastic plants. ITS IMPORTANT TO HAVE REAL PLANTS...NON TOXIC...WELL WASHED, BOTH SIDES IF THE LEAVES SINCE VEILEDS (ESPECIALLY FEMALES) MIPUNCH ON THEM.

I MAY HAVE MISSED A COUPLE OF THINGS... @MissSkittles does a better job of this than I do!
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been really busy. I bought some real plants from Josh's frogs but they are very small...any recommendations on getting larger plants are appreciated. I will be buying a lower temp bulb to lower the basking temp. I bought a humidity reader and it's consistently between 35 and 40 percent humidity.

@MissSkittles said..."I do have a question about your ReptiVite…does it have D3 in it? If it doesn’t, you’ll need to get/use a calcium with D3 one feeding per week (the week in between using the ReptiVite)"...see...I did miss something!

Also...she should be fed 3 to 5 medium to large crickets a day now...or equivalent in other insects.
Thank you, I checked and unfortunately it doesn't appear that the ReptiVite has D3, so I will order a different vitamin dust. The Calcium definitely does not have D3.

yes, I apologize for taking so long to reply. I noticed that the white scab becomes a dark color when she turns bright green at night. I have six live plants but they are small so I need to buy more - they are not in the enclosure yet because I need to buy potting soil first. I have started feeding her larger crickets due to the advice on here and she seems to be doing fine with that. I also started feeding black soldier fly larva. What baffles me is that she seems to refuse all roaches - dubias and baby hissers. I don't know what to do with these excess roaches she won't eat. They are getting bigger. This hissers are still babies, they were born about a week ago so I wouldn't think their exoskeleton is too hard yet. I ended up making a new feeder - based on the shotgun feeders. I used an amazon echo box and attached a mesh back so bugs can crawl up and entice her. She seems to only want crickets and worms though. I also mixed her play sand with ecoearth and added more water because I haven't seen evidence of her digging yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20220616_034414140.jpg
    PXL_20220616_034414140.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220628_205909562.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220628_205909562.MP.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20220628_053003184_3.jpg
    PXL_20220628_053003184_3.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 73
Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, local plant nurseries, etc will have cheap, big plants! If there are Houston Garden Centers that west, that's where I get 90% of my plants!

I also forgot to mention that her poop has been bigger lately - the size of a large bean and the other substance has been white instead of yellow. I did notice when cleaning out her waterfall pump device (cleaned once a week) that there was some kind of snot looking stuff on the filter...no idea what that is.

You can sell the roach colonies she didn't like, too, to free up space and get some extra cash. If you want to, try red runner roaches! Silkworms and grasshoppers are great to try, too, along with other things!

Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, local plant nurseries, etc will have cheap, big plants! If there are Houston Garden Centers that west, that's where I get 90% of my plants!
Thank you, I wasn't sure if I could buy plants from stores because of the potential of pesticides..will washing them with soap and water be sufficient for cleaning off pesticides?

I also forgot to mention that her poop has been bigger lately - the size of a large bean and the other substance has been white instead of yellow. I did notice when cleaning out her waterfall pump device (cleaned once a week) that there was some kind of snot looking stuff on the filter...no idea what that is.
Toss the waterfall, she should get her water from misting, drippers (non recirculating ones), and cool mist fogging (if the conditions are right)

Thank you, I wasn't sure if I could buy plants from stores because of the potential of pesticides..will washing them with soap and water be sufficient for cleaning off pesticides?
I use Physan, but there are tons of options. If you give me a second, I can pull some up!

With cleaning plants, you want the entirety of the plant rinsed off extremely well, with all the leaves scrubbed (gently if course, just extremely well, too) to make sure there is no residue from whatever you used left behind

Back
Top Bottom