White dots on panther chameleon

andrea67

My panther chameleon has several white dots all over his body. He is misted a minimum of twice daily, is well fed (crickets, super worms), crawls, has correct lighting, sufficient space. He seems healthy, except for those white dots which appeared about two months ago. He is approximately 3 years. Does someone have an idea as to what this is? Thanks!!!
3292395A-FE82-4215-A74C-10C73A74A596.jpeg
3292395A-FE82-4215-A74C-10C73A74A596.jpeg

Attachments

• 235C207B-8F63-489D-87FB-A9D4DBFBA1C4.jpeg
    235C207B-8F63-489D-87FB-A9D4DBFBA1C4.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 76
Can you post some better pictures of him? Is he always so dark in color? Have the spots multiplied? Are they growing? Are they always white?
He’s not always dark in color, he’s usually teal with green but not as bright as he used to get. The dots have multiplied but they haven’t grown. They are white but appear to get smaller at times especially when his green starts showing.

Repashy calcium plus
So, if you are only giving this supplement, immediately stop giving this to your chameleon. You need to be giving Calcium "without" vitamin D at every feeding, and Calcuim "with" Vit D only twice a month really. The spots you are seeing might be calcium deposits in the soft tissue after prolonged overuse of vitamin D. You should probably book a vet appointment as soon as possible, and do not wait to do this.

What type of supplementation are you using?
Repashy calcium plus.
Can you post some better pictures of him? Is he always so dark in color? Have the spots multiplied? Are they growing? Are they always white?
He’s not always dark in color, he’s usually teal with green but not as bright as he used to get. The dots have multiplied but they haven’t grown. They are white but appear to get smaller at times especially when his green starts showing.
EDE989C0-C64A-4E0E-B7AE-D81DF20A2331.jpeg

So, if you are only giving this supplement, immediately stop giving this to your chameleon. You need to be giving Calcium "without" vitamin D at every feeding, and Calcuim "with" Vit D only twice a month really. The spots you are seeing might be calcium deposits in the soft tissue after prolonged overuse of vitamin D. You should probably book a vet appointment as soon as possible, and do not wait to do this.
Thanks I only give it to him about 3 times a month, not at every feeding. I’ll definitely be taking him to the vet.

No, just repashy.
You also need to be supplementing with plain calcium (without D3) every feeding. D3 helps your cham utilize the calcium that is supposed to be dusted on your feeders. I would rank this as a highly important next step. While this may not be the cause of the spots, it should be taken seriously as inadequate calcium can cause mbd.

I know that too much D3 can essentially take calcium from the bones and redeposit them to other parts of the body. I have no idea if this would happen if a cham was given a normal dose of D3 without the frequent plain calcium (w/o D3) dusting. Though I doubt that this calcium redeposit would appear on the skin. I think only @kinyonga would know that.

What is your basking temperature? And have you had him for three years or did you recently get him?

You also need to be supplementing with plain calcium (without D3) every feeding. D3 helps your cham utilize the calcium that is supposed to be dusted on your feeders. I would rank this as a highly important next step. While this may not be the cause of the spots, it should be taken seriously as inadequate calcium can cause mbd.

I know that too much D3 can essentially take calcium from the bones and redeposit them to other parts of the body. I have no idea if this would happen if a cham was given a normal dose of D3 without the frequent plain calcium (w/o D3) dusting. Though I doubt that this calcium redeposit would appear on the skin. I think only @kinyonga would know that.

What is your basking temperature? And have you had him for three years or did you recently get him?
I’ll try the calcium without D3 thank you. I’ve had him for 3 years and he’s been good until a couple of months when those white dots appeared. His basking spot is at about 75 degrees. This is a picture of him before the dots.
4A8D8AEB-4738-41CD-8F56-D9A2608F6D97.jpeg

I’ll try the calcium without D3 thank you. I’ve had him for 3 years and he’s been good until a couple of months when those white dots appeared. His basking spot is at about 75 degrees. This is a picture of him before the dots. View attachment 292718
You want the basking spot to be at least 80 degrees (no more than 85F). As for the white splotches, I don't really have a clue as for why they are appearing. You can wait for answers here or you could take him to the vet. BTW your cham is insanely beautiful!

You want the basking spot to be at least 80 degrees (no more than 85F). As for the white splotches, I don't really have a clue as for why they are appearing. You can wait for answers here or you could take him to the vet. BTW your cham is insanely beautiful!
Thank you I will fix that. And yes I’ll be taking him to the vet..he is beautiful😊

Back
Top Bottom