White around nose and mouth

Gf33

Today i noticed that my female veiled chameleon had white around her nostril and mouth. I was wondering what this meant?
She is still eating and moving around alright. Two days ago, i switched her uvb light from a T8 light to a T5. Could that have something to do with it?

Attachments

• 7E2554E3-4804-43F3-A066-41365B6F12A4.jpeg
    7E2554E3-4804-43F3-A066-41365B6F12A4.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 0FA862A0-940E-46A2-A9CD-282AE68333C7.jpeg
    0FA862A0-940E-46A2-A9CD-282AE68333C7.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 126
Hi can you fill this form out and post it back here just for any case. Don’t get me wrong in any way but just by that you don’t know that chameleons shed maybe there’s something else that you missed (not saying you did just trying to help ?)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi can you fill this form out and post it back here just for any case. Don’t get me wrong in any way but just by that you don’t know that chameleons shed maybe there’s something else that you missed (not saying you did just trying to help ?)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, female, 7 months old, in my care for about two months.
  • Handling - I handle my chameleon about once every day.
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon 6 crickets and usually 1 superworm a day. I gutload my crickets with carrots, apples, pumpkin, and escarole.
  • Supplements - reptivite multi vitamin once a week. Repti calcium without D3 six days a week.
  • Watering - I hand mist my chameleon enclosure three or four times a day. I have never actually seen my chameleon drink, but she’s always seemed healthy so i never thought anything of it.
  • Fecal Description - my chameleon has never been tested for parasites, but her poop has consistently looked healthy and firm since I’ve had her.
  • History - she has been very healthy since i have gotten her. Very active with a big appetite.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - i use the cage i got with the Chameleon kit. It is a screen cage, 16 in by 16in by 48 inch.
  • Lighting - i have the lights on in the cage from 7Am to 7Pm. I use the dual light from the chameleon kit as well as a 12 inch T5 UVB light. I just switched to a T5 light from a T8 light within the past few days.
  • Temperature - basking temp is around 80 degrees. Night time temperature is probably 65-70 degrees.
  • Humidity - i am not positive about the humidity levels in the enclosure but i frequently mist and have a croc pot full of water on high next to the enclosure for several hours to create humidity.
  • Plants - i have live plants. Hibiscus plant and a corn plant.
  • Placement - it is in the back of a room. Moderate traffic. It is on a table to the top of the cage is eye level.
  • Location - New York
Current Problem- Today i noticed that my female veiled chameleon had white around her nostril and mouth. I was wondering what this meant?

Idk what is causing the white around the mouth but i can tell you just by looking at your husbandry form that your over supplementing on vitamins. You should be providing calcium NO D3 practically EVERY feed. Then you will alternate between your multivitamin and calcium WITH D3. So for example you would do d3 on the 1st and multivitamin on the 15th. I think hyperD3 can cause the white around the mouth but I'm not 100%

Hi. Putting my feedback in red.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, female, 7 months old, in my care for about two months. At this age she can and will lay eggs at any time even if she’s never even seen a male. It’s best to keep a lay bin as a permanent part of her enclosure. It’s just a plastic bin at least 10x10x10” and filled about 6-8” deep with moist play sand. It needs to be kept moist enough so that it forms a tunnel without collapsing.
  • Handling - I handle my chameleon about once every day.
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon 6 crickets and usually 1 superworm a day. For a female you are over feeding, which can lead to frequent egg laying and larger clutches of eggs. This greatly shortens their lives. It’s best to cut her back to 3 feeders every other day. After she lays her first time, cut that back to 3 days a week. I gutload my crickets with carrots, apples, pumpkin, and escarole. Attaching feeder and gutloading sheets for reference.
  • Supplements - reptivite multi vitamin once a week. Is this the one with or without D3? It should be given once every 2 weeks. If it does not have D3, you’ll need to get a calcium with D3 to give once every 2 weeks, alternating with the Reptivite. Repti calcium without D3 six days a week.
  • Watering - I hand mist my chameleon enclosure three or four times a day. I have never actually seen my chameleon drink, but she’s always seemed healthy so i never thought anything of it.
  • Fecal Description - my chameleon has never been tested for parasites, but her poop has consistently looked healthy and firm since I’ve had her.
  • History - she has been very healthy since i have gotten her. Very active with a big appetite.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - i use the cage i got with the Chameleon kit. It is a screen cage, 16 in by 16in by 48 inch. She’s ready now for her grown up enclosure. She needs a minimum of a 2x2x4’ or equivalent.
  • Lighting - i have the lights on in the cage from 7Am to 7Pm. I use the dual light from the chameleon kit as well as a 12 inch T5 UVB light. I just switched to a T5 light from a T8 light within the past few days. Are you using the coil uvb bulb in the dual dome still? It really serves no purpose if you have the T5. What is the strength of your uvb bulb? The T5 really needs to be long enough to span the width of the enclosure.
  • Temperature - basking temp is around 80 degrees. Night time temperature is probably 65-70 degrees. Perfect! You don’t want basking temps to get any higher than 80.
  • Humidity - i am not positive about the humidity levels in the enclosure but i frequently mist and have a croc pot full of water on high next to the enclosure for several hours to create humidity. You really need to know what your humidity levels are. Ideal is between 30-50% during the day, which is actually much drier than you’d think. Get rid of the crock pot. Even if you did need to add extra humidity, it would need to be a cool mist. Heat + high humidity can create respiratory infections and is possibly causing the shedding problem.
  • Plants - i have live plants. Hibiscus plant and a corn plant. How is the hibiscus doing? They need some heavy light and just the enclosure lights aren’t enough. I use a 70w grow lamp for mine. I’d suggest adding a pothos or philodendron too. As they grow they create great vines which add more climbing opportunities. Make sure your plants are creating a nice shaded area for your cham.
  • Placement - it is in the back of a room. Moderate traffic. It is on a table to the top of the cage is eye level. Chams really like to be higher than us...it makes them feel safer. Upgrading to a larger enclosure will provide more height.
  • Location - New York
Current Problem- Today i noticed that my female veiled chameleon had white around her nostril and mouth. I was wondering what this meant? It does look like the start of a shed. Chameleons are dry shedders, so high humidity may become problematic. As she’s older, she won’t shed her whole body at once. They usually shed in sections and it can take some time. With correct husbandry, chams generally have little problems with shedding and need no intervention. Only if the shed around a limb or tail gets stuck and constricts the blood flow do we need to step in and ‘help’. The various shed aids on the market are not for dry shedders and can make things worse. Hope this all helps. :)
1D9D9E3F-B299-4B45-9F83-41F9CFB531F1.jpeg
D0A22056-C008-47FB-B26D-E3BA946BBBC6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom