Which uvb brand/bulb is next?

It’s coming time to change my boys uvb and I wanted to know what brand is preferred? It holds an 18” bulb. I know it should be 5.0 - 10.0
Dos desert or tropical matter?
Repti-sun? Zilla or another kind?

Do you have a Solarmeter? I just got one and I am using it to help me decide which bulbs I like best for my setup. It's like oddly expensive, but it giving me huge piece of mind to know exactly the UVB index that is making it through at various levels and spots in the enclosure.

This podcast (Bill Strand's Chameleon Breeder) has been a great resource: and the guy (Todd) who runs a related reptile lighting website (Light Your Reptiles) is also willing to talk you through a bunch of things, if you want to call him or email which seems pretty cool (I have not called him yet though personally).

I'm using linear ExoTerra Repti-Glo T8 10.0 with a Zoo Med Linear Daylight 6500K for visual brightness and then a spot 50w basking bulb. I would have preferred T5's because they are more efficient and smaller, but the T8 is the hood I have. I am about to add a night time bulb to create a "sunset" and "sunrise" low light condition for about 30 mins in the morning and evening before lights on and off.

I'm curious what you end up getting, especially if you like it, let us know :)

Add: I guess I should mention, to me the only thing that matters most is how much UVB is getting in and where. The "Desert" ones tend to be rated higher on that scale than the Tropical lights. Most of the manufactures will have a helpful little chart that breaks down what percentage each bulb has and the distance away you'll need to keep your little buddy. My opinion (limited as it may be) is that any mainstream brand will likely work fine as long as you get the right calibration in your setup--which is the critical part. 10.0 could be too strong depending on where the perch is and if there isn't much shade etc. That's where the Solarmeter really is helping me out. Zoo Med Chart Link is an example of one brand breakdown.

Last edited:
I use the reptisun 5 but will eventually switch to Acadia 6% once this set goes out. The only problem is that reptisun are available at my local store and they sell them for a good price so I have not switched yet. I know Arcadia lasts longer and is supposed to be better for the reptiles though.

I use the reptisun 5 but will eventually switch to Acadia 6% once this set goes out. The only problem is that reptisun are available at my local store and they sell them for a good price so I have not switched yet. I know Arcadia lasts longer and is supposed to be better for the reptiles though.

Have you found a good place to order the Arcadia products from (other than Light Your Reptiles)? I have noticed their stuff seems harder to find. Are they based in the UK?

I use the reptisun T5 HO and love them. You may also want to look into a solarmeter it does help to know if your light is putting out any uvb, i have had new bulbs that light and put no uvb out.

I got a solarmeter and I highly recommend it. I was running a 6% Arcadia uvb in a quad fixture... I switched to a 12% after getting my solarmeter to get my levels at the right amount at basking level. I buy all my Arcadia stuff from Todd at light your reptiles. I like the customer service he provides and the extra time he gives :)

Have you found a good place to order the Arcadia products from (other than Light Your Reptiles)? I have noticed their stuff seems harder to find. Are they based in the UK?

No, the only place I have seen is light your reptiles. It's just so easy for me to find the reptisun and even though I have to replace it more often the convenience and price make it easier. I have a reef tank that I have to order bulbs for as it is so I don't need to have the repti ones complicated too haha.

The T5HO Arcadia bulbs last longer, not the T8's.

I use Acadia t5 ho. I ordered mine through Pangea. They may still be sold out, though, they were recently. When I ordered from them I used 2 day shipping and had my bulbs a day and a half after I ordered.

Panthers get 6% UVB for the most part but if you want accurate answers we need to know how dense your foliage is and the distance between your light and basking spot. Pics help !

Back
Top Bottom