Which plants/trees are safe for veiled chameleon?

whysoez420

Hi guys, havnt been on in awhile.
I just set my chameleon up with a enclosure that's 7 1/2 feet tall by 7 1/2 feet wide. Now I'm going to need some tall plants/mini trees for him so I'm just wondering if anyone knows which common trees are ok for chameleons if my veiled were to eat the leaves which he will. He seems to like scheffluras so that's what he's had but they don't grow Tall enough :(
Any input/help is greatly appreciated.

I really like the Pothos it seems to hold the water for a long time and also does quite well inside. The Ficus and Schefflera also do great indoors and will grow quit tall if planted in a large pot. The Hibiscus is a favorite of the veileds but needs allot of light so your need to use hibiscus outside or have a couple to rotate from inside to outside for sun. Your plants will need to be washed and rinsed well and replanted before you use them. Use organic soil and buy large river rocks to cover the soil so your cham will not be able to eat the soil. Make sure the rocks are very large so the cham cannot eat the rocks.

Lol Jann you are a pioneer on here, always one of the first posts. You helped me 2 years ago when I got my first cham. Seems like your post is copy/pasted perhaps because it doesn't answer my question and almost directly goes against my question lol.

Lol Jann you are a pioneer on here, always one of the first posts. You helped me 2 years ago when I got my first cham. Seems like your post is copy/pasted perhaps because it doesn't answer my question and almost directly goes against my question lol.

All the trees mentioned about with the exception of the pothos can grow quite tall. I have some more that 8 foot high. You just have to plant them in a large pot. The leaves are all safe for the veileds to eat. I still keep 4 veileds and use all of these trees outside for them to free range on in the evenings while my husband and I sit outside and watch them. A hanging pothos would also be very nice in a cage that tall.

All the trees mentioned about with the exception of the pothos can grow quite tall. I have some more that 8 foot high. You just have to plant them in a large pot. The leaves are all safe for the veileds to eat. I still keep 4 veileds and use all of these trees outside for them to free range on in the evenings while my husband and I sit outside and watch them. A hanging pothos would also be very nice in a cage that tall.

OK thanks, I do plan to use about 4 hanging pothos in the enclosure but was wondering if there are any other tree like plants besides hibiscus that would work

For a tall tree in an 8' enclosure, your best bets are ficus, schefflera arbicola (dwarf umbrella tree), hibiscus and dracaena. Most big box stores will only carry small ones though, so if you need a tall one immediately, check out local nurseries and green houses (they tend to be pricey though).

Here is the most comprehensive list of plants that are safe for chameleons. There may be more tall plants I don't know about, but be sure to check if its safe before you use it.

http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp

For an enclosure that size, have you considered an actual tree? Maybe a smaller variety? You would have to prune it regularly, but almost any tree can be "bonsai-ed", this would just be a larger version of that practice.

I bought a 5' magnolia this summer for the outdoor cage ( they were on clearance). I'm going to try to keep it pruned to pot size. Ask me in year or two if I'm successful :)

use japanese maple trees, they require lots of light, but if they dont get it the leaves will just turn green instead of red. I have read that maples are safe but have never actually used them.

Are your for veiled chameleons kept in the same enclosure?

Each chameleon has to have it’s own enclosure and a divider or something between the enclosures because they can’t even see each other.
Yep. To much displaying can cause overexaustion and dehydration. Make sure the dividers are secure

Back
Top Bottom