Which is Easier?

Nic Pic

Hey guys, just wondering.. but which is easier to take care of, a panther or a jacksons. Thanks!:D

IMHO both are cool and fun to work with. the only difference you have to look ouf for the temps and humidity, jacksons like lower temps and prefer and need higher humidity levels than a panther. both needa a large cage 2 x 2 x 4, jacksons maybe small but they like to roam:D

many start with jacksons as their first, though not recommended. as ACE said, jacksons need lower temps and higher humidity levels. where as a panther is more forgiving than jacksons when it comes due to husbandry. i say this and promote outstanding care to every animal no matter what species or how less of work they are.

Yes of course, any animal should receive unconditional care. But I just thought I would get the easier one to take care of as I am a beginner and have only had a veiled:p

Yes of course, any animal should receive unconditional care. But I just thought I would get the easier one to take care of as I am a beginner and have only had a veiled:p

do you still have this veiled? if you do and you think you're ready, i personally would get a jacksons. panthers are pretty close in husbandry and care, so if you want something a tad more advance i would go jacksons

Hey guys, just wondering.. but which is easier to take care of, a panther or a jacksons. Thanks!:D

Jackson's aren't as hard to care for as people say in my opinion. Even regulating temps and humidity was not hard. Actually, I think caring for a Jacksons is just as easy as a Panther or Veiled

Here's how I did it, without humidifier:
1. Short distance from basking area, used UV bulb as heat lamp, as it gives off some heat
2. Watered 2 times during lights on, and sprayed heavily before lights out so humidity during night was what was required

The real question is: Would you rather horns or color?

LPR08

The real question is: Would you rather horns or color?

LPR08

I want BOTH! boy that would be cool... I seen a pic of a blue jackson's, to bad it was just a photo trick. tho I must say I've seen some cool pics of the mt. meru (spelling) jackson's but from my understanding thats a whole new ball game...

they are both cool in thier own way IMO, but I just couldn't resist the colors of the panther

do you still have this veiled? if you do and you think you're ready, i personally would get a jacksons. panthers are pretty close in husbandry and care, so if you want something a tad more advance i would go jacksons

Sadly I do not have this veiled anymore as I had to put him down weeks ago... this was due to a bacterial infection but I now it had nothing to do with my care for him.

and Stanly... I think I would prefer coulour, but thank you for the tips!:D

if you want color I'd go with panther (which i did) also the nice thing about panthers is few people (non chameleon people) have seen a adult panther in real life, while jacksons are more common it pet stores (tho I'm guessing most are WC and don't look half as good as some I've seen in forum members pics)

my first cham was a female jackson..she was a sweetheart...she sparked my love for all chams to begin with...IMHO jacksons, veileds , and panthers ...are the most common and what "beginner keepers" can look for as there first few chams..but i feel if you research enough info and have your setup correctly..you can house any cham you wish to house..with proper guidance, research, etc....:)

Last edited:
my first cham was a female jackson..she was a sweetheart...she sparked my love for all chams to begin with...IMHO jacksons veileds , and panthers ...are the nost common and what "beginner keepers" can look for as there first few chams..but i feel if you research enough info and have your setup correctly..you can house any cham you wish to house..with proper guidance, research, etc....:)

My first was a jacksonii xanth also. This is when I named my chameleons. Now I just hate them, leave them alone as much as possible and like to observe their natural behaviors (which I did with this one besides a name). I took the pet shops word, which isnt the worst in the world but..., and raised a tiny, tiny male maybe 2 months old. I had him at least 4 years before I decided to get another chameleon. I could have done some things different (gutloading being the most) but for a jacksonii he should have lived much longer. I took him to a vet who told me to gut load with dog food (dont need to go further obviously). But, I suspect he was suffering from gout. I euthanized him myself.

Ponce Cha'Meleon and my niece.
Picture256.jpg

My point is, we have all been in the same place. There are way too many people here who want to judge and act rude when they themselves have been in the same place. They learn/read what is a general concept of chameleon husbandry and repeat it like its the bible. I might have a more scientific point of view when it comes to chameleons rather than a pet point of view but it does not mean I am not passionate. Anyway, RANT!

OP, either is equal along with many other species if you know their natural habitats. There are just many factors that come into play. With a panther it is more easy to get a captive bred specimen than a jacksonii. Wild caught specimen of any species are much harder to acclimate than captive bred specimen. If you do find a captive bred jacksonii you want to make sure it is established. At least 3 months of age because it seems live bearers can have more complications still around this age compared to the regularly bred veileds and panthers. Along with any other species. You can acclimate and choose a wild caught jacksonii as your first chameleon but you must be prepared and hope for a good specimen. So many times wild caughts come in very emaciated and dehydrated. This along with not being accustomed to cage life is a disaster for failure.

Sorry to hear about your veiled passing. If you want to get a cham with color i would say panther for sure. I bet you could take perfect care of both of them sense you know what its like to have a chameleon already. The truth is though they are both perfect animals. :)

Jackson's aren't as hard to care for as people say in my opinion. Even regulating temps and humidity was not hard. Actually, I think caring for a Jacksons is just as easy as a Panther or Veiled

I think this would also depend on where you live and what your house climate is from season to season. For example, if you live in the dry hot desert southwest, a jax could overheat in summer or dehydrate if you rely on an AC. If your house is hot at night you'll need to plan some way to provide the 10-15 degree temp drop at night for a jax. Doesn't mean it can't be done, just that a proper cage setup will take more planning, design, and probably $$.

I sometimes wonder if many animals have adapted to different or harsh enviornments but would actually pefer more "normal" condtions. Could it be every time we mist them they complain "damm it's raining, if i catch cold knucklehead will take me to the vet again".

Back
Top Bottom