Which Gecko(S)

BunnyGirl

As many of you know I am looking for another type of pet to get. I have decided on geckos. I have a 5.5' tall x 1.5' wide x 2' deep glass shelving unit. I have 4 shelves for it. They are all equally distanced apart so each is about 1' 4" tall. I would like to have a few species of geckos. They will of course be seperated, and will not be able to see each other. I am making custom hardscapes for each wich woud include the back, floor, and two sides. I just wanted to know which species of geckos can live in spaces like that. I would love love love it if I doidn't need basking lights. I know I may need one in front just to warm it up to the 70's in the winter, but summer I would like to not have to use a basking light.

I have leopard geckos, theyre at least as handleable as chameleons, possibly even more. They have a ton of color morph options available too. They're very hardy, and pretty easy to care for. They're also nocturnal mostly, so you don't need uv, I have also never used a basking lamp, but I have undertank heat mats. They do need a heat source of some kind. There are also supplements needed just like chams, they have "leopard gecko" dust available, and I'm sure you already know about calcium requirements of reptiles. Can be kept singly in the space of a 10g aquarium. Males must be seperated, females can be together. Or you can have one male and a "harem" of a few females, just requires more space.

Last edited:
You'll wanna go with nocturnal geckos if you want to keep them at room temperature and lower (mid to high 60s to low 80s)

Any Rhacodactylus species will do in this temperature range. But if you want some variety, you'll have to google the temperature requirements of any geckos you're interested in.

If it were me, I like diurnal geckos. So any day geckos, Phelsuma or Lygodactylus.

It also depends on how much money you wanna spend. If you want to get some heat mats for each bin, Nephrurus species are cool lookin!

I have been looking into Leporeds, Creasted, Gargoyle(I love the white ones!), and possibly a tokay, I know they can be nasty but they are so pretty! How would these do?

I have had gargoyle geckos before, I currently have a crocodile gecko also. I have decided I prefer to stick with the geckos that dont have the ability to climb glass/walls/etc. I don't have to be as concerned with making sure everything is all "buttoned up" to prevent an escape, and loss. Tokays are a pretty aggressive gecko. I had thought about getting one, because they do look cool, but I have heard from everyone I talk to(no personal experience) that they can/and will bite, most of the time they say they do it anytime you put your hands in their cage. I also like that the ground based geckos(leopards/fat tails/knob tails??) are more handleable. The smaller geckos that can climb anything and everything are just to quick and dont seem to lend themselves to being held.

I have used book shelves for "gecko condos" for years...each shelf and the top of the book shelf has a flourescent light suspended under it. The cords are put out through a hole cut in the back board of the unit. This means every shelf but the bottom one has heat from the light below and light from the suspended lights. The bottom shelf can have a heat pad added as a heat source.

There are lots of smaller type geckos that would do well in these cages. I have kept Bibron's, stenodactylus, Madagascar ground geckos, mourning geckos, leos, fat-tails and a few more species in these condos.

Since they are lit by fluorescents you can even use a UVB bulb and other diurnal species could be kept in this setup.

Can gargoyle and creasted be kept in the cage I talked about in the first post. I could put only two shelves in so they would have a larger area.

Back
Top Bottom