Which Chammy is this??

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_111137570.jpg
    IMG_20210830_111137570.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 78
Don't, and I repeat, DON'T get a petco chameleon and expect a healthy animal. Just looking at it at a glance, with the sunken cheeks and crest, implies this reptile is sick.

Which species is he? Is it worth it to try and rescue him? I don’t want it to just to die. He’d get the right care under an experienced vet. My vet seems way more knowledgeable than I.thanks.

Which species is he? Is it worth it to try and rescue him? I don’t want it to just to die. He’d get the right care under an experienced vet. My vet seems way more knowledgeable than I.thanks.
buying Jackson's from petstores is always a high risk situation. They are normally all imported chams... Which means parasites and god only knows what else. If you want a healthy jackson you need to buy direct from a reputable breeder. In the end it is your decision what you do. But expect a lot of vet bills. And make sure you can provide the environment it needs.

I would assume xanth, but I am not sure about Jackson's chameleons. While it may seem nice to rescue them, which I fully support in situations where the chameleon is in dire need of help, Petco simply sees them as a numerical value, regardless of intention. They see somebody bought one, so they stock two. Personally, I would not go for it and wait for a reputable breeder to have babies. That way you support somebody who properly cares for their reptiles, and if enough people end up preferring private breeders over petco, petco may begin to stock less. Unfortunately, I do not know any breeders for Jackson's. I know jacksjill does breed and has before, but I do not know when they will have babies. Just my two cents.

I rescued a Xanth from petco and took him to a chameleon vet and he deemed him healthy and his fecal was clear however this isn’t always the case. Did I get lucky or blessed? I think I was blessed! It looks like a Xanth to me but with those dark stress colors it’s hard to tell. It is better to get one from a reputable breeder but these guys deserve a chance to. Just hope you have plenty of money in case. And know a good Cham vet.

When will breeders you could vouch for have xanths available? Is there a particular season when they’re given birth to?

Back
Top Bottom