Where would I find...

Mistyck

Where would I find the greens that a Veiled chameleon would eat? I feed him crickets now but I need to start giving him other food. He's about 6 months old now. If anyone has any information on what other foods that he might eat?

Thanks in advance.

Brandi

Well, it's controversial because some Veiled's will eat greens, and other's won't touch them. You'll have to experiment with your Veiled. Here's a list of greens you can feed off:

Mustard Greens
Collard Greens
Green Pea's
Hubiscus Flower's
Strawberries

These are just foods I've personally used myself, and my Veiled really seems to like them. :E

how do you get him/her to eat the greens & flowers? I put some in the tank and they basically ignored it. is there a way to encourage them to try vegetation?
do you cut them into little pieces?

I have a Hibiscus, that I have out of their cage now, which Im trying to revive it since they ate almost every leaf off it lol. Try putting a Hibisucus, Ficus, or some kind of live, non-toxic plant in their cage. I tried putting some collards in the cricket dish with the crickets, but they never touched them. But they will eat the plants I have in there.

bka said:
how do you get him/her to eat the greens & flowers? I put some in the tank and they basically ignored it. is there a way to encourage them to try vegetation?
do you cut them into little pieces?

I would chop them up into fine pieces, and cup-feed them off with insects in the cup as well. That way, your Veiled may just innadvertantly grab a slice of strawberry (or whatever else) and actually like it. It can be difficult to get them to start feeding on greens, and just to let you know, some will never touch them.

Chamcham505 said:
I would chop them up into fine pieces, and cup-feed them off with insects in the cup as well. That way, your Veiled may just innadvertantly grab a slice of strawberry (or whatever else) and actually like it. It can be difficult to get them to start feeding on greens, and just to let you know, some will never touch them.

My guy is bowl fed as is. you think this would help him learn to eat greens more? I also have a ficus in his cage now, he eats off that alot. he almost killed his last one. If i don't feed him the greens will he be ok with just the plant in his cage?

plants

I have a pathos in my cage and my 3 month old chomps on it quite a bit. I thought he was falling the first time until I saw him take a big rip out of a leave. Having plants that they can eat in their cage is excellent because then he can eat some vegitation whenever he wants. Also your guy is still young and I know they eat alot more veg as they get older so maybe training him to take greens out of feeding bowl will work. Let me know if you have any succsess with it. Good luck

I started bowl feeding my guy greens the other day. He seems to like them. Not as much as he does his crickets of course, but he deffinately likes the greens. I'm going to try strawberries next. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Back
Top Bottom