Where to buy veiled safe plants?

also i hope he won’t have any problems and need to go to the vet but i’m willing to take him of course, i’m waiting till monday so i can call the vet i took my mouse to when he was sick and see if they’ll see chams bc i don’t want to be scrambling to find a place if i ever need vet care fast

also i hope he won’t have any problems and need to go to the vet but i’m willing to take him of course, i’m waiting till monday so i can call the vet i took my mouse to when he was sick and see if they’ll see chams bc i don’t want to be scrambling to find a place if i ever need vet care fast
Search for a vet that specializes in chameleons or reptiles, that will be your best bet.

hey guys just thought i’d update! so i purchased a new bulb his basking spot now reaches 90-92 degrees instead of 102
i also just placed an online order for a bunch of different bugs, pictured below
and i got the three plants i want, and a good linear uvb! i’m so glad i joined this forum bc i’ve learned so much already and as soon as the mail comes, he’ll have a much better cage!

Attachments

• AF95CA5D-109C-4353-93DC-D042C3F2765E.png
    AF95CA5D-109C-4353-93DC-D042C3F2765E.png
    311.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 7598C4B2-C973-4609-859E-E2A3FF242202.png
    7598C4B2-C973-4609-859E-E2A3FF242202.png
    354 KB · Views: 196
hey guys just thought i’d update! so i purchased a new bulb his basking spot now reaches 90-92 degrees instead of 102
i also just placed an online order for a bunch of different bugs, pictured below
and i got the three plants i want, and a good linear uvb! i’m so glad i joined this forum bc i’ve learned so much already and as soon as the mail comes, he’ll have a much better cage!

That is a couple great orders that will make for a very happy chameleon :D. You may eventually decide to add some LED lights for the plants if needed.

I would consider keeping the hornworms in a cooler with ice packs on the opposite side (not touching the container they are in) or offer limited food to some as they will tend to all get large at the same time. You can also keep some of the Phoenix worms there as well so they don't all start hatching out at the same time. A wine fridge can help out with that as well.

Back with another quick update! his lights and bugs came today! just waiting on the plants now so i can redo his cage
the first picture is a before and the second is an after of the new lights, i also included a pic of the bugs (ew)
oh and i also picked up some vitamin supplement that i will be using every other week

Attachments

• 63533E53-2E69-4D02-A285-8EC173ACE5A0.jpeg
    63533E53-2E69-4D02-A285-8EC173ACE5A0.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 163E542E-97E1-4C5B-96C0-78D3A1BC0059.jpeg
    163E542E-97E1-4C5B-96C0-78D3A1BC0059.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 3185CCF6-C96B-43A1-B80F-DE7283F6ADEC.jpeg
    3185CCF6-C96B-43A1-B80F-DE7283F6ADEC.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 176
okay guys! happy to announce i’m on the homestretch!
plants arrived today, i included a picture of the big mess i made
i need to find a pot for the umbrella and on sunday i will be doing a cage redo which will include:
rearranging vines to make them all horizontal
cutting the sticks and bamboo he has to make them also fit horizontally, along with sanding the bamboo bc it’s too slippy
and,
the addition of the live plants
now all i need is to get my hands on a damn ficus tree! i’ve been looking for at least a week now
ALSO: if anyone has any ideas on where to put him while i fix up his cage, if i can’t figure something out i was just going to have my friend hold him in another room but i know that’s not ideal

Attachments

• 405A8B6B-2F2D-44DD-A6E9-38956F05B3D9.jpeg
    405A8B6B-2F2D-44DD-A6E9-38956F05B3D9.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 171
okay guys! happy to announce i’m on the homestretch!
plants arrived today, i included a picture of the big mess i made
i need to find a pot for the umbrella and on sunday i will be doing a cage redo which will include:
rearranging vines to make them all horizontal
cutting the sticks and bamboo he has to make them also fit horizontally, along with sanding the bamboo bc it’s too slippy
and,
the addition of the live plants
now all i need is to get my hands on a damn ficus tree! i’ve been looking for at least a week now
ALSO: if anyone has any ideas on where to put him while i fix up his cage, if i can’t figure something out i was just going to have my friend hold him in another room but i know that’s not ideal
Make sure to angle some branches and vines, just a majority need to be horizontal. Make a container like people do to take their chams to the vet.

For my vet container, I took a Sterilite storage bin, cut out most of lid and hot glued mesh over the hole. I then hot glued some bendable vines into place, and whenever I use it, I add a damp paper towel to the bottom.

For my vet container, I took a Sterilite storage bin, cut out most of lid and hot glued mesh over the hole. I then hot glued some bendable vines into place, and whenever I use it, I add a damp paper towel to the bottom.
sounds good! how did you cut out the lid? aren’t they pretty thick?

best update yet!
we cut and scored and sanded the bamboo
cut the branches
made vines better
added the live plants
switched around fake plants
and to recap from before, he also has a better heat and uvb light and gets hornworms, bsfl, crickets, dubia, waxworms, and superworms
he also has calcium and vitamin powder
i included a before picture
the mess we made aka a during picture
his little carrier we made
some pictures of the vine and stick structures and the final product with him in it

overall it was super fun to do and i had a lot of help, my mom potted the plants, my dad helped sand and he cut everything and drilled holes so i could put fishing line through, and my best friend and i put it all together and decide where everything should go
7CA3A817-3CA4-4F41-8391-BF976CF58BFB.jpeg

F37A272A-254C-47DC-B3A8-4F26380D4281.jpeg

B531CA95-586C-4D54-9E1D-61260BBBA38D.jpeg
28BDB5A5-AF8A-43DE-9072-B72BB69CE975.jpeg

13E6850C-8A9D-453F-8F8E-EBC123515EEE.jpeg

174FFD68-8135-4866-B876-246694102D2B.jpeg

best update yet!
we cut and scored and sanded the bamboo
cut the branches
made vines better
added the live plants
switched around fake plants
and to recap from before, he also has a better heat and uvb light and gets hornworms, bsfl, crickets, dubia, waxworms, and superworms
he also has calcium and vitamin powder
i included a before picture
the mess we made aka a during picture
his little carrier we made
some pictures of the vine and stick structures and the final product with him in it

overall it was super fun to do and i had a lot of help, my mom potted the plants, my dad helped sand and he cut everything and drilled holes so i could put fishing line through, and my best friend and i put it all together and decide where everything should go
View attachment 215749
View attachment 215742
View attachment 215747 View attachment 215743
View attachment 215744
View attachment 215745
Great job!

I will add one important step to whatever plants you get....
Any plant bought usually has insecticides and fertilizer. You will need to wash plant thoroughly, buy some ORGANIC potting soil and wash off as much old soil as possible and repot in new soil. On top of the soil cover with pebbles large enough that your cham can't accidentally swallow while going after a bug. This also keeps the cham from ingesting the soil which could cause impaction. Welcome to the wonderful world of chams/money takers.:ROFLMAO:
Unfortunately, there are also systemic insecticides, like Bonide Systemic Granules Insecticide, which are taken up by the plant and remain there. I don't know if they are generally used by houseplant suppliers. The active ingredient in the Bonide product is acephate. It is supposed to protect against insects for eight weeks, so I would guess that that is a minimum waiting period to introduce a plant that might have been treated. I don't know about other systemic products.

Unfortunately, there are also systemic insecticides, like Bonide Systemic Granules Insecticide, which are taken up by the plant and remain there. I don't know if they are generally used by houseplant suppliers. The active ingredient in the Bonide product is acephate. It is supposed to protect against insects for eight weeks, so I would guess that that is a minimum waiting period to introduce a plant that might have been treated. I don't know about other systemic products.
thank you i will keep this in mind when buying plants this spring!

Back
Top Bottom