Where should i place the cage?

suncei

I am proudly awaiting a new Veiled Cham, and have a beautifully set up 24"x 24"x 36" cage... my question is about the locations of the cage in my apartment... bedroom, living room, or den... the bedroom and living room would give the cham more natural light.... but the den is more private than the other two rooms.... also the den does have vibrations and noises from other apartments where the other two rooms dont...... any help would be great thanks~

christian

To start out with pick the room with the least traffic. Placing the cage near a window to allow natural light will help them feel more at ease when adjusting to their new environment. Other apartment vibrations and other outside noises shouldn't really be too big a factor unless someone is working construction outside your window or having a rock concert. Glad your doing your research before you have him or her in your care and your on the right forums to continue your learning! Keep us posted!

Wow

WOW this was completely unexpected ..... that was super fast! Yea i have done a lot of research and I am getting everything ready for the babies arrival. I guess then the least traffic would be the Den.... although it doesnt have any windows.....would it be ok to move the cage from time to time to give the chameleon some natural light? And lastly what size chameleon do u recommend for the size cage i have..... i was thinking about 4-5 month old?

thanks again you guys are awesome!
christian :D

First off, welcome to the forums! :)

You have to be careful putting the cage in front of a window because of the extra heat that may bring in. Natural sunlight coming in is certainly not a bad thing, but having it right in front of a window may make regulating your temps harder. UVB does not cross glass or plastic so you will still need a UVB bulb regardless so the natural light from indoors is not much benefit really. (remember those bulbs need to be changed every 6 months or so because they stop emitting UVB even though they're still shining) Taking your cham outside (carefully supervised at all times) would be a great thing to do though!! Real light and UVB is still far superior than what we have tried to replicate.

Glad to see you getting the facts before you get your little guy, can't wait for pics!

Excited!

First off, welcome to the forums! :)

You have to be careful putting the cage in front of a window because of the extra heat that may bring in. Natural sunlight coming in is certainly not a bad thing, but having it right in front of a window may make regulating your temps harder. UVB does not cross glass or plastic so you will still need a UVB bulb regardless so the natural light from indoors is not much benefit really. (remember those bulbs need to be changed every 6 months or so because they stop emitting UVB even though they're still shining) Taking your cham outside (carefully supervised at all times) would be a great thing to do though!! Real light and UVB is still far superior than what we have tried to replicate.

Glad to see you getting the facts before you get your little guy, can't wait for pics!

Definitely! knowledge is king when in comes to Chams!
So great then i could put him in a more "dimly lit" room, and just use the repti glo 5.0 15w and the 100w basking Sun Glo lamp i have to provide him sufficient UVB rays.
2 questions: can the Repti Glo 5.0 go above the screen terrerium? or must it go under?? and
I've read that a fluorescent full-spectrum tube (18") could help give the cham necessary light... ??

peace
christian

All lights should go above the cage, not inside. I believe the sunglo lamp does not provide any UVB, just UVA but I may be wrong on that. The 5.0 is all you will need for your UVB. 100W is a high a wattage to use. You want your basking temp in the low 80's for a young veild so be careful. You can use the 100 watt but just play around with the heighth above the cage to achieve the correct temp. If it is still too warm, then just use a regular old white housebulb(it is what most of use) like a 60 watt or so.

Great tip

Well thank you... It is possible that I may be interested in a 6-7 month old panther ambanja cham. what would be the appropiate basking temp for this species chameleon?

peace
christian

I am actually in Las Vegas, and Im currently negotiating with vegas shooby for his panther! maybe we can help each other...;)

hahaha that is hilarious! i hope he settles on my price so he doesnt have to ship him.;) im setting everything up now.... i told shooby on the phone, i will be ready by this weekend with everything i need to take care of him... hopefully...

maybe we can help each other ;)

fingers crossed

peace

christian

you mean you and I helping each other or Shooby and you!??? Everyone here on the forum is great. Tons of helpful people who all share a passion for chameleons!

haha hopefully shooby and I can help each other haha.... I get a good deal on a beautiful ambanja panther and he doesnt have to worry bout shipping it! And it wont be to far.... he could come by and say hello! haha

peace
christian

oh I get ya!! An adoption with visitation rights! ha!!! Well it is 3 am here in Florida and I am off to bed! Nice talking to you and I am sure I will be seeing you around on the forum!! Good night!!!!

Welcome to the forum, you are definitely doing the right things. I was actually looking at the same panther you are looking at. I love his colors and he looks really healthy. I live on the east coast and know the seller doesn't want to ship so that's kinda of a long drive for me :D

yup Im from NY originally but ive been in Las Vegas for a while now.... just got off the phone with him.... looks like i will have him by the end of the week :D

is that your panther in the picture?

Back
Top Bottom