Where should I be buying a veiled chameleon from?

Hxec

I've recently been making an enclosure for a veiled chameleon and planned on buying from LLLreptiles, but after doing research on here, I've reconsidered and moved to FL chams. I even found a "premium" one that I really liked. But once again I read negative comments on them as well. Are these just peoples opinions or is there some truth to the bad reputation? I don't live near any sort of local breeders so I need to go with something shipped, but I haven't found a very reputable site for a standard Veiled from what I've read. I don't dare go to a petsmart and bring home a cham with MBD lol.

It's safe to say not all petstores like petsmart, petco etc will have reptiles w.MBD or any other health problems. But unfortunately sometimes .. alot it does happen. Even soo. It's best to go somewhere else. Those you mention do have good & bad reviews. It truly depends on who you ask. Lol I'm sure people will respond with good answers for you soon. 😉

Hi. Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of well known breeders for veileds. I would definitely not buy from LLL reptile, backwater or any of those places. FL Chams has gotten mixed reviews. I personally wouldn’t buy from them and especially wouldn’t buy one of their ‘premium’ veileds. I would keep an eye on the forum for sale ads, look around at small locally owned pet store for a veiled or even look at reputable breeders of other chameleons or reptiles and ask if they know of any good sources. Occasionally on the forum there are some who for various reasons need to rehome their chameleons. Currently I believe there’s someone in PA looking to rehome theirs.

I would avoid LLL reptile along with a few others like them. I would go to petco or petsmart before ever buying from a place like LLL. Petco and petsmart can be perfectly fine if you get one that has not been there more then a week or so. I have gotten 2 from Petco... They both were perfectly healthy because they were not there long enough to have damage done. Of course your looking at the cham... watch its movements, are they alert, focused on what is going on around them, are their eyes normal and not sunken in, they shouldnt be sleeping during the day when lights are on. Etc...

Last edited:
Ok so I got my boy Alastair from FLchams. I was lucky and got a healthy baby, but that was after month of rehab. When I got him he had no heat, no padding (styrofoam) in the box. Small airholes were put in the box and he only had a slip of paper to stand on. One piece of newspaper in as "padding". He was almost black and sickly looking when I opened the box and I think one more day would have killed him. To get to my point, I vote no to buying Chams from FL. There are so many other better options.

It's safe to say not all petstores like petsmart, petco etc will have reptiles w.MBD or any other health problems. But unfortunately sometimes .. alot it does happen. Even soo. It's best to go somewhere else. Those you mention do have good & bad reviews. It truly depends on who you ask. Lol I'm sure people will respond with good answers for you soon. 😉
Thank you for the response. I’ve had bad luck with petsmart on my first chameleon. Spent over $400 on vet bills for him to pass after a couple months. And again got a sick veiled from a mom and pop store that didn’t live very long. I guess I’ve just been paranoid with the bad luck I’ve gotten, I don’t want to get another sick chameleon.

I would avoid LLL reptile along with a few others like them. I would go to petco or petsmart before ever buying from a place like LLL. Petco and petsmart can be perfectly fine if you get one that has not been there more then a week or so. I have gotten 2 from Petco... They both were perfectly healthy because they were not there long enough to have damage done. Of course your looking at the cham... watch its movements, are they alert, focused on what is going on around them, are their eyes normal and not sunken in, they shouldnt be sleeping during the day when lights are on. Etc...
Thanks for the info. I may call and see when they get new ones in and try to arrange something with them.

Thank you for the response. I’ve had bad luck with petsmart on my first chameleon. Spent over $400 on vet bills for him to pass after a couple months. And again got a sick veiled from a mom and pop store that didn’t live very long. I guess I’ve just been paranoid with the bad luck I’ve gotten, I don’t want to get another sick chameleon.
I'm sorry, that's unfortunate. My first one was a sick one as well. I was very unformed & un educated. But then I got a beautiful boy from petco! & I was lucky there was nothing wrong w.him.

Thanks for the info. I may call and see when they get new ones in and try to arrange something with them.
The key is grabbing one when they first get them in. Then they are not over supplemented, with MBD started, and then of course RI risk. My Beman is almost 4 years old and is still thriving. I got him when he was 4 months old. I brought him home like the 5th day they had him. My other baby was a little over 9 months when I had to rehome him due to an unexpected out of state move. I got him like the 3rd day after they got him in at 3 months old.

Your other option is going with a Panther. There are some wonderful Panther chameleon breeders and honestly 9 times out of 10 they have calmer better personalities than a Veiled will. Veileds are more like temperamental toddlers.

I have thought about a panther and would eventually like one. I’m more nervous I guess since I haven’t kept a chameleon for very long. I don’t want to get something I’ve always wanted just to have bad luck with it. I’ve definitely considered it.

I have thought about a panther and would eventually like one. I’m more nervous I guess since I haven’t kept a chameleon for very long. I don’t want to get something I’ve always wanted just to have bad luck with it. I’ve definitely considered it.
Here is my advice.... It does not matter Veiled vs Panther. They are both the same level of care and housing. So get what you really want. But first ensure you have everything set up perfectly. And you still buy from a good breeder. There are a few Panther breeders I really like.

You can utilize the forum by having us review your enclosure and overall husbandry. Then we are able to point out areas that need to be corrected prior to you getting a chameleon. Then you create your own success.

Which breeders do you like and trust?
I currently have a smaller cage but all the other stuff for the bigger cage 24x24x48 I just ordered. When I get that cage I will set it up, take photos, and give you all the setup details. I’ve had live plants for about 6 months preparing to use them haha.

I've recently been making an enclosure for a veiled chameleon and planned on buying from LLLreptiles, but after doing research on here, I've reconsidered and moved to FL chams. I even found a "premium" one that I really liked. But once again I read negative comments on them as well. Are these just peoples opinions or is there some truth to the bad reputation? I don't live near any sort of local breeders so I need to go with something shipped, but I haven't found a very reputable site for a standard Veiled from what I've read. I don't dare go to a petsmart and bring home a cham with MBD lol.
Check BBB for complaints & reviews.
Check with other site sponsors. It appears FramsChams (sponsor) has male veileds.
https://framschams.com/

Morphmarket appears to have some breeders; I have not vetted any of them.
https://www.morphmarket.com/us/search?q=veiled&cat=42
FB likely also has veiled breeders.
Also https://www.breedir.org/chameleons (likewise not vetted).

Back
Top Bottom