Where do you keep your bugs?

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
Pretty straight forward question. Right now I have my chameleon enclosures in their own room and I have a bug shelf. I plan to get a large show piece enclosure for a new Cham in the new year and place it in my living room. (I live alone, no kids. I'm an introverted hermit so it's always low traffic in there. I do have a dog but the showpiece enclosure will be high enough that the doggo will never notice him and she doesn't have free range of the house when I'm gone.) I'm not sure where to keep the bugs, if I should keep them in the original Cham room or get some sort of cabinet to hide them in the living room. Thoughts?

Depends on type of bugs you use. Most feeders like dubia an crickets like it warm. I keep mine near my dubia colony it has a heating mat. Also keep dubias near the cham cages. They like humidity also. Hornworms are good with usual room temps. Then nutri grubs like keep them near a cool window. Works like a wine cooler even lately. Just really depends on feeders you use. An what there requirement is an how much you keep on hand.
I tried alot of different things but my luck with crickets isn't good. I usually like gut load an feed em off fast as I get them.

Depends on type of bugs you use. Most feeders like dubia an crickets like it warm. I keep mine near my dubia colony it has a heating mat. Also keep dubias near the cham cages. They like humidity also. Hornworms are good with usual room temps. Then nutri grubs like keep them near a cool window. Works like a wine cooler even lately. Just really depends on feeders you use. An what there requirement is an how much you keep on hand.
I tried alot of different things but my luck with crickets isn't good. I usually like gut load an feed em off fast as I get them.
I don't keep colonies so I'm not worried about their temp needs necessarily. More so an aesthetic question. Also I'm clumsy and can see myself walking from one room to another with a cup full of bugs and bam...I fall and their are now crickets all over my da** floor. I know some people keep their roaches etc. In the garage. Mind gets too cold for sure in the winter time. Also I'm just curious where people keep them in their house / relation to their enclosure.

I’m Missiouri idk if anywhere else has them we have things called a john deer room where you put mowers and storage it’s located under the garage in the basement and that where I put mine they don’t stink up the house and are out of the way. You could also put them in like the furnace or storage room

I keep mine in my living room which is where my Cham is. I don’t have much choice since my apartment is small. I kinda stick them behind the chair or at the end of my sofa on the floor so they aren’t right out for everyone to see. I only buy a 50 crickets and 50 Dubia at a time since I only have 1 Cham.

I keep the crickets and dubias in basement in furnace room most of the year. 3 or 4 months out of the year I keep them upstairs in dining room cabinet. Dining room is more like a plant room and not for eating.

A little messy but I literally keep the bins of the floor of my basement scattered around with the warmer ones with under tank heaters for insects that barely get to 90 if that and I don’t have a specific spot but that’s just cuz I’m lazy and don’t wanna get them out everytime I need them as I have many different insectivorous reptiles with different feeding schedules

Dubias under the beardie enclosure, crickets under the chameleon's enclosure, and giant mealworms in the fridge door. Other occasionals/treats on top of the roach bin or in the fridge door.

Back
Top Bottom