Where do I store worms?

I just got my chameleon starter pack from rainbowmealworms! Comes with super worms, hornworms, phoenix worms, and dubia. What do you recommend as for storing and caring?

I was told that superworms can be refrigerated and I keep my other worms like the horned and silk worms at room temp., in separate containers, and with air vents.

my one friend has several roach colonies and he keep them in opaque bins in the dark with a mesh top. He uses egg crates to keep them happy and disposes of them weekly. He puts apple and potatoe in there for feeding them and he has had great success. I always have roaches from him that I can get and he has about 20 reptiles he feeds with his stuff, so he must be doing something right lol.

hope I was able to help!

I was told that superworms can be refrigerated and I keep my other worms like the horned and silk worms at room temp., in separate containers, and with air vents.

my one friend has several roach colonies and he keep them in opaque bins in the dark with a mesh top. He uses egg crates to keep them happy and disposes of them weekly. He puts apple and potatoe in there for feeding them and he has had great success. I always have roaches from him that I can get and he has about 20 reptiles he feeds with his stuff, so he must be doing something right lol.

hope I was able to help!
Superworms can not be refrigerated. Hornworms can be cooled to stunt growth (just learned this) at around 55*. Silkies are best at room temps.
You might want to pass on to your friend with the roaches the following infographic. Apples and potato will keep the roaches alive, but they aren’t passing on much nutrition to whatever is eating them.
B9E1E581-A32E-4347-BC67-DFD8E884FD19.jpeg

I just got my chameleon starter pack from rainbowmealworms! Comes with super worms, hornworms, phoenix worms, and dubia. What do you recommend as for storing and caring?
All of these need special care and TLC. Is best to keep them in bed with you and allow them to free range. ?
I keep supers in their original container, which usually is an oat bran mixture. I’ll give them bits of sweet potato and other veggies for added gut load and keep them hydrated. Hornworms should come with their specific diet and can be kept in original container. They grow fast! You can chill them to 55* to delay their growth. Phoenix worms aka bsfl also can be kept in whatever substrate they come in. I usually get them in a coco coir. They don’t need to be fed. They too can be kept chilled to slow their growth. However, if they hatch into flies, it’s happy hunting for your cham. I keep my roaches in a big clear plastic tote bin. I had a substrate of roach chow, until mealy bugs invaded. Currently they have no substrate (it’s pending) but do have egg carton to hide in. I feed them according to the gutload infographics I posted above and occasionally use water gel too. They like it warm if you are breeding them. Otherwise room temp should be fine.

All of these need special care and TLC. Is best to keep them in bed with you and allow them to free range. ?
I keep supers in their original container, which usually is an oat bran mixture. I’ll give them bits of sweet potato and other veggies for added gut load and keep them hydrated. Hornworms should come with their specific diet and can be kept in original container. They grow fast! You can chill them to 55* to delay their growth. Phoenix worms aka bsfl also can be kept in whatever substrate they come in. I usually get them in a coco coir. They don’t need to be fed. They too can be kept chilled to slow their growth. However, if they hatch into flies, it’s happy hunting for your cham. I keep my roaches in a big clear plastic tote bin. I had a substrate of roach chow, until mealy bugs invaded. Currently they have no substrate (it’s pending) but do have egg carton to hide in. I feed them according to the gutload infographics I posted above and occasionally use water gel too. They like it warm if you are breeding them. Otherwise room temp should be fine.

Lol Mealy bugs were in your substrate??

If they came in plastic containers with holes, start saving those. ?
Also start saving other plastic containers you can drill holes in.

I usually order 1000 ½" dubias and 500 Lg. supers at a time. Gobs-o-fun.
Phoenix worms didn't work out well for me; they kept pupating & dying too fast, and my lizard won't eat anything that isn't moving.
Haven't tried hornworm$ or silkworm$.

Dubias & supers keep fine for months in plastic containers at room temperature (or at room temperature in plastic containers). ?
Dubias need to be warmer to breed, but that's another thread.

I use PT & TP rolls for the dubias, stacked vertically in the plastic containers. They can work just like cricket tubes (Pull out a tube, hold it over your bug bowl, and rap on the side with a pencil or tweezer forceps).
I toss in a baby carrot or 2 (or whatever's left over) every couple days for feeding & gutloading.
Dubias grow very slowly—that's why they cost so much.

I do exactly the same with the supers, except instead of paper tubes, I fill the container halfway with rolled oats. Toss in carrot, etc. every couple days or so. Pluck 'em out with aforesaid tweezer forceps.

I keep both right under the enclosure.

Cautionary Note: Supers can be addicting. My beardie got hooked on them right off, and held out for 2 weeks (and lost 10 grams) before he'd eat dubias again (stubborn little turd ?).

Superworms can not be refrigerated. Hornworms can be cooled to stunt growth (just learned this) at around 55*. Silkies are best at room temps.
You might want to pass on to your friend with the roaches the following infographic. Apples and potato will keep the roaches alive, but they aren’t passing on much nutrition to whatever is eating them.
View attachment 268680
Thanks for the updated advice. That fantastic to know!! I’ll have to tell my friend about this so his reptiles can be healthier. Thank you MissSkittles!

Back
Top Bottom