where can i order insects?

i have been trying to get horn worms and prey-mantis and have no clue where is the best place to get them from because no shops near me sell any.

If you don't mind hatching and growing your own mantises, I bought an ooth from Nick Barta in the classifieds. They hatched out just fine, had plenty on hand. Just make sure you don't follow in my footsteps and forget to feed them or you'll have a little tub full of dead mantids (not good).

Silkworm eggs from Coastal Silkworms. Hornworm eggs from Coastal and Great Lakes. Mantids I have ordered from Amazon (stiffle the laughter, they worked), Nick Barta (on this site), and mantisplace. I liked amazon, two cases for $14 total, shipping included. Hatched about 100 babies from each.

Last edited:
Silkworm eggs from Coastal Silkworms. Hornworm eggs from Coastal and Great Lakes. Mantids I have ordered from Amazon (stiffle the laughter, they worked), Nick Barta (on this site), and mantisplace. I liked amazon, two cases for $14 total, shipping included. Hatched about 100 babies from each.

Hmm, I just checked amazon for the mantids...don't' see anything but books.

not sure about the mantids, but i would love to throw out some props to http://gordosfeederbugz.com I have ordered from there a couple times and they have very nice bugs. they come very well packaged and very much alive. i had one little issue with some silk worms (had a rough trip though the postal service) the food had broken apart and crushed all but one :(
I was at work and my wife received the shipment, I was not able to respond within the one hour time window but they refunded the silkies anyway. GREAT customer service! Will definitely be buying from them again and again. I have ordered from a few other sites and lets just say either i have bad luck or there is definitely a need for some quality control and quality bug service out there LOL
Gets me thinking... maybe time to start a bug farm and put customer service and quality a priority, Amazon style!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom