Where can I get me an Oustalet's?

Exactly Sticktongue. It also depends on your basking uvb spot from the top of the cage, wattege and what it's passing through. If its say 12 inchs from the bulb on a 5.0 and its on a reptarium, your maybe getting 1/2 the output. Where as a 10.0 its probly gets cut down to about 8-9.0 uvb down to 20 inches.

Even with a reflective there is still a difference. And i doubt half the people that are new pay the 50 bucks for a zoomed reflective hood compared to a 25 dollar lll brand one.

Personally, I think a 10.0 would be fine for an adult Oustie, considering their body and cage size. Just saying my thoughts:)

The best way to end the debate is to just use a UVB meter. I can tell you my 6% Arcadia through an Reptibreeze XL at 12" puts out around 29 for the UVB. At 4" it puts out around 58.

From what I have read and seen from other people is that the 6% Arcadia puts out more UVB than the 10.0 Reptisun. So I would say there is no problem with a 10.0 when going through screen.

i use the Power sun flood light with my boys because the spread pattern is different and reaches further down.

you may also find this interesting-

T-Rex Active UVHeat lamps emitted higher levels of irradiance and had higher ampoule conversion concentrations than ZooMed PowerSun.
2. All incandescent lamps, with the exception of ZooMed PowerSun at 1.5 m, had a significant drop in irradiance from the initial measurement until 1 month.
3. High UVB irradiance measurements do not necessarily correlate to high vitamin D synthesis.
4. Until UVB requirements for vitamin D3 synthesis in animals are determined, it is not possible to state that any lamp is superior to another.

Quantifying the Vitamin D3 Synthesizing
Potential of UVB Lamps at Specific
Distances Over Time
Debra A. Schmidt,1 Diane Mulkerin,1 Daniel R. Boehm,1 Mark R. Ellersieck,2 Zhiren Lu,3 Matthew Campbell,1 Tai C. Chen,3 and Michael F. Holick3

I saw that, but I'd really like to be able to see the animal I'm buying before I buy it. I want to make sure it's healthy. I want to talk to the breeder or retailer too. I'm willing to wait until I establish that kind of contact.

I've read a few very poor reviews about back water reptiles. I've never used them myself, however I don't think it's worth risking the chameleon's welfare to find out if they're true or not.

The best way to end the debate is to just use a UVB meter. I can tell you my 6% Arcadia through an Reptibreeze XL at 12" puts out around 29 for the UVB. At 4" it puts out around 58.

From what I have read and seen from other people is that the 6% Arcadia puts out more UVB than the 10.0 Reptisun. So I would say there is no problem with a 10.0 when going through screen.

I should really invest in one of those. I saw a thread on here a while ago where a couple people tested brand new bulbs to find that they emitted no UVB at all. It might not be enough, but we take Mr.Pink outside whenever it's nice for a good bask, but the weather will be colder soon, and since I would like to own more than one chameleon, I think it would be a good investment.

Backwater reptiles is not a good company. My friend on here ordered 2 adult ousties. She said they both looked bad, the male died. They catch them in florida not madagascar. You shouldn't buy wc if you can help it.

Yeah I want CB, for sure, and I'm willing to hold out until I find someone who breeds them.

I've heard very bad things about Backwaterreptiles, including accounts of the owner writing his own testimonials, and even slandering competitors. In addition, I've read many stories about messed up orders, and many DOA's. :(

I've also read many articles about how WC ousties usually carry a higher parasite load, that is harder to treat due to their size. As someone who's too scared to feed my veiled anything from outside, I can't see myself settling for anything less than a CB juvenile :p

I want to do things right the first time with this chameleon.

Contact the forum user by the name - Tay and a
Or look up brays chameleons. I know alysha has a oustie I believe she is going to breed. She's located in Portland but will ship. I picked up my last guy from her.

Most species of chameleons are governed by CITES regulations so therefore need proper paperwork before crossing international borders. Small hobbyists and several big breeders in the US find obtaining this paperwork to be expensive and time consuming to ship one or two specimens. I know some of you mean well but please note the members are in Canada.

I have written a blog about importing into Canada that some of you on both sides of the border might find helpful: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/783-import-export-cites-animals-canada.html

To my Canadian members, in a few weeks the big Canada Reptile Breeders Expo is taking place. I can’t see many people having true CB Furcifer oustaleti or Furcifer verrucosus but you may find some decent wild caught or long term captive specimens there. Unfortunately people working with and establishing the odd species up here is few and far between. Honestly I can't think of anyone working with either of those species. If you are in or near Toronto it’s worth checking out: http://www.reptilebreedersexpo.ca/

Depending on where you live i would suggest coming into the us to pick one up of you are that determined to get one you can't find there. Find an expo closest to where you live and ask the breeder of they can bring it so yoi can pick it up.I live 40 minutes south of the Canadian border and if you have a enchaned drivers license it's not an issue from what I understand to drive a chameleon across the border as long as you have an export permit from the us which is cheaper.

Importing or Travelling with Pet Amphibians and Reptiles
These requirements apply to:

animals entering Canada permanently
animals in transit through Canada on their way to a final destination
animals entering Canada for a temporary visit

amphibians such as salamanders, frogs, toads, newts
reptiles such as snakes, crocodiles, caiman, iguanas, turtles, tortoises
Amphibians and reptiles (excluding turtles and tortoises) are no longer regulated under the Health of Animals Regulations (other than Part XII that regulates the transport of all animals). As a result, there is no Canadian Food Inspection Agency requirement to obtain an import permit, nor a health certificate. Under normal circumstances, border inspections no longer happen. Imports are permitted from any country, for any use, to any destination in Canada.

Import Restrictions
The reason for restrictions on turtles, tortoises and their eggs is that there is the risk of transmitting serious diseases, such as salmonella. Until a Risk Assessment demonstrates safety, no permits will be issued for turtle and tortoise eggs for personal use or commercial purposes (i.e. pet stores).

Depending on where you live i would suggest coming into the us to pick one up of you are that determined to get one you can't find there. Find an expo closest to where you live and ask the breeder of they can bring it so yoi can pick it up.I live 40 minutes south of the Canadian border and if you have a enchaned drivers license it's not an issue from what I understand to drive a chameleon across the border as long as you have an export permit from the us which is cheaper.

Importing or Travelling with Pet Amphibians and Reptiles

animals entering Canada permanently
animals in transit through Canada on their way to a final destination
animals entering Canada for a temporary visit

amphibians such as salamanders, frogs, toads, newts
reptiles such as snakes, crocodiles, caiman, iguanas, turtles, tortoises
Amphibians and reptiles (excluding turtles and tortoises) are no longer regulated under the Health of Animals Regulations (other than Part XII that regulates the transport of all animals). As a result, there is no Canadian Food Inspection Agency requirement to obtain an import permit, nor a health certificate. Under normal circumstances, border inspections no longer happen. Imports are permitted from any country, for any use, to any destination in Canada.

Import Restrictions
The reason for restrictions on turtles, tortoises and their eggs is that there is the risk of transmitting serious diseases, such as salmonella. Until a Risk Assessment demonstrates safety, no permits will be issued for turtle and tortoise eggs for personal use or commercial purposes (i.e. pet stores).

Please inform yourself of the proper international protocols concerning endangered species. It's true Canadians don't need an import permit and potentially inspections but they sure do need valid CITES paperwork from the originating country if the animals are regulated by CITES. Please read my blog.

That's why I said from what I understand, thank you for the information though it is useful. Sorry If I came arrogant, I meant to put a question mark after the "from what I understand"
I'm guessing having an export permit from America is not the only thing you need ?

Wow, that was really informative Trace, I had a feeling there were fees and permits to get, but I had no idea to what extent. :eek:

Now, there are 3 reptile stores (including 'Canada's largest reptile zoo) that place orders through their contacts. I've already contacted one of them who said they were available for $150... somehow. Maybe there is a mystery breeder in Ontario, or this guy orders online from a company that exports wholesale. I don't expect him to give up company names, but I should be able to get some answers to the millions of questions I'm bound to ask.

I'm really willing to wait, months, or a year or two. Maybe I'll get me a Nosy Faly, which I know are available here :) And Oustie can be my 3rd Chameleon :p

I'd still love to research them as much as I can, and talk to people who have them as pets. Thanks for all the info so far everyone!

Most species of chameleons are governed by CITES regulations so therefore need proper paperwork before crossing international borders. Small hobbyists and several big breeders in the US find obtaining this paperwork to be expensive and time consuming to ship one or two specimens. I know some of you mean well but please note the members are in Canada.

I have written a blog about importing into Canada that some of you on both sides of the border might find helpful: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/783-import-export-cites-animals-canada.html

To my Canadian members, in a few weeks the big Canada Reptile Breeders Expo is taking place. I can’t see many people having true CB Furcifer oustaleti or Furcifer verrucosus but you may find some decent wild caught or long term captive specimens there. Unfortunately people working with and establishing the odd species up here is few and far between. Honestly I can't think of anyone working with either of those species. If you are in or near Toronto it’s worth checking out: http://www.reptilebreedersexpo.ca/

Thanks Trace! Really helpful!:)

If anybody has a male CB Oustalet's (preferably 2-4 months) or knows someone that does, let me know! I was in the process of getting one shipped to me from FLChams, but unfortunately their males aren't quite healthy enough for sale, so it got called off. I've got a brand new enclosure sitting here, but no Oustie to put in it! :(

I would post in the classified's, but I'm assuming since I'm still relatively new I'm not yet able to.

Back
Top Bottom