Where can i buy a Parsons Chameleon?

If you (speaking in general) are fascinated by the size or looks of parsonii, go find them in the wild and let Malagasy people know their primary forest is worth more in the long run if not slashed and burned.

Right! This holds true for many other less known species, not just the big bold charismatic ones. Same thing for lemurs...most people know about the ring-tailed, aye aye, or the indri, but there are many other species just as important and probably better indicators of ecological health. I was lucky enough to visit Madagascar and see many species in their natural state; parsonii among them. Yes, we did see an occasional juvenile in logged over forest but that doesn't mean everything is OK with them.

Our tourist dollars get spread out to a lot more people than the purchase of one chameleon does. Many people we met were shocked (then excited to learn) that we would fly halfway around the world just to see a "fady" animal in second growth forest (forest that has already lost its big market value timber).

How many eggs do you have Kent?

None. I really want the challenge of hatching the species but don't want to fuel interest in smuggled specimens. I'm starting to lean towards doing it, since they're already here and not going back, but I'm undecided still.

No, that the reason for not sharing photos is weaksauce (which is fine as is, check urban dictionary good sir!) The majority of parsonii keepers share a couple photos four times a year, on average. I didn't know that was the reason why, and now that I do I'm very surprised. And doubtful that it's having the intended effect, personally.

I knew this thread would be alright, just needed a good push...

I agree, sort of like saying if women didnt wear revealing clothing, they wouldnt get raped.

You guys are guessing as to why Parsonii keepers do not post pictures as often as other keepers post pictures of other species of chameleons.

I hate to bring it up however it has taken Jann a great long while before even she was ready to pictures of her Parsonii. I think its been almost over six months. Again my condolences to Padre.

Last edited:
I read the page and I'm familiar with IUCN. Without reading the rest of the page or knowing anything about IUCN, however, the classification of "Near Threatened" should be alarming enough. But in this case, their population declined 15-20% (but probably closer to 30%) over the past 15-18 years, and is still declining. Furthermore, the page says parsonii is closer to qualifying for an even more serious threat classification (Vulnerable) than for a lesser class (Least Concern).

They might live in agricultural areas or secondary forest, but I believe they still depend on primary forest for future existence.
Quotas should not be established before habitat degradation is halted and their population has been at least stable once more for a number of years.
Until that time, people shouldn't buy parsonii, since it will only keep illegal bussiness alive. There are enough species to work with that are far less threatened in the wild, offered for sale from legal sources, and way easier to care for.

If you (speaking in general) are fascinated by the size or looks of parsonii, go find them in the wild and let Malagasy people know their primary forest is worth more in the long run if not slashed and burned.

Ferdy

I understand your concerns. However, in a growing third world country where the main agricultural area is the Eastern Forest area a reduction in the forest by fifteen to twenty percent should be somewhat expected. That is part of a developing third world nation. The main problem is reforestation after land is abandoned from agriculture. As for not exporting any Parsonii until the species population has stabilized I understand that logic too. However conservative exports of Parsonii (as seen with two hundred and fifty Furcifer campani a year) could act as a conservation tool and provide legitimate jobs for Malagasy and lessen the demand for black market animals. Along with linking people who are working these quota Parsonii almost first hand to conservation issues in Madagascar. This does create an awareness and a passion that lasts to Madagascar conservation and if the animals were not around would not accomplish. The concur though conservation of Madagascar forests has got to continue.

However, because of interested parties (along with continued development inside Madagascar) outside of Madagascar such as groups from North America, Europe and possibly Asia I think these problems can be solved. I for one would jump at the opportunity to contribute.

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Hmm this thread gets more and more interesting with every post, I do wonder sometimes why i have never seen a Parsonii care sheet. I would love to own one in the future, hopefully they are more people who breed them in Captivity but I'm sure that wont be for a while because doesn't Parsonii eggs take like 3 years to hatch?

Hmm this thread gets more and more interesting with every post, I do wonder sometimes why i have never seen a Parsonii care sheet. I would love to own one in the future, hopefully they are more people who breed them in Captivity but I'm sure that wont be for a while because doesn't Parsonii eggs take like 3 years to hatch?

There are a couple of great Parsonii care sheets out there. Here's one written by the most accomplished Parsonii breeders in North America to date Ken Kalisch. Brad has got a copy in the bookstore.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/bookstore/chameleons-avs/

Fauna

There is a male for sale on fauna atm I don't think it's a scam cause he offers local pickup....but it would be a waste if you do not have a female to keep them going.

Interesting that people say there are no illegal parsonii in Europe. Here is a conversation I had over two months ago:

me: Hi,
What are the prices of columma parsonii? Are they CB? And their parents?

seller: Hi, this is a farm, price 600 euro, delivery to Poland!
me: Where is it located?
seller: Moscow! Delivery within 4 days of the car go!
me: Thank you for your reply. I'm actually not looking to buy parsonii just yet, but maybe in the future. If you have some eggs or are expecting to have some, I may be ready to buy then. Thank you again for the info.
seller: No eggs no, tezhelo breed as incubation of eggs 1 year and 8 months, there is little Parson 12-14 centimeters

Doesn't that sound fishy?

You need differ between Europe and European union. European union (EU) works in this from law POV like super country.
Chameleon is in Russia (out of EU) and he offers delivery to Poland (inside EU) because simple nobody will purchase it in Moscow.
Do not forget that even legal animal in Moscow can not be transported to EU and vice versa without CITES permits. Legal animal from Poland can be. transported to any other EU country ( B annex what are CITES II and III animals).

So this illegal parsonii is not in European union and high probably never will because simple it is too expensive and nobody will risk to be jailed to purchase animal that he can get for +- similar price from legal source (unless is it some rare variety like green giants, etc).

How look situation with parsonii in Ukraine, Russia etc I have no idea. If they breed them or not I really do not know (may be, in both countries are some top breeders).

get parson's

Does anyone have a clue as to where i can get an adorable little parsons chameleon?

once in a wile is an add for Parsons, but first get involved and learn how to keep them alive, check if you can afford the cost of food, big real big cage and a good raining system.jajaja and the challenge to keep them happy, Chameleons are not the beginners choice for having a whim moment.check at www.kingsnake..... $ 6,500.00 pair.LoL.

Really big cage ... you do not need (in principe they do not need more like comfortable cage for pardalis male).
Raining system ... you do not need (if you can spend 10 minutes daily for them. But if you can not spend 10 minutes daily than they will not live long).
Btw they want drink (by not too high temperatures and if you offer water to them "ad libitum") just every other day.

What you need is good quality variable food ideal are LEAF EATING insect because they are gutloaded every time. I feed crickets, 3-4 roach species, flies, katydids, grashoppers, stick insects (several species), moths (caterpillars I did not learned eat them) and snails.

Oh, and if you can put them outside. However you need have "cold shelter" for really hot days. Nothing can replace unfiltered sun.

My final remarks on this for a while. I think quotas for Calumma parsonii can be done however for this to happen the quotas have got to be sustainable for the species and forest habitat. This is job that has to be done and worked out ideally by the big three Madagascar, the IUCN Red List, and CITES. This then showing the privileged and that the world reptile community is worthy of quotas of such a spectacular species. Example of conservation progress, such as conservation accomplishments such as increased Rhino numbers and a decrease in Ivory trade in past decades have got to be seen. Recent outburst of from neighboring areas in regards to Elephant Ivory and Rhino Horn killings says that the world and world wildlife markets are currently not worthy of sustaining export quotas of a spectacular species such as a Parsons chameleon presently. Until the world is capable again and controls and sustains exports we have not earned the privileged of working with quotas of Parsons Chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom