When to sun a baby?

Catdragon

Saturday I got a 2.5 month old Nosy Be at the Reptile Show from Amazing Blue Reptiles. I was wondering with all this wonderful Ca. sun, how long before I can give him some natural sunshine? He is adjusting well, eating, drinking, pooping, should I wait till he is more comfortable in his new home? Thanks in andvance.

i guess after he is comfy in his new home but make sure when you take him out that the cage had a spot where the sun doesnt hit so he can chill there :)... and get some pics we love pics in the forum :D

Thank you for the quick response. He is my second cham. I have a six month old also. But it was always too cold to take him out. By the time it warmed up enough he was already older and secure. Will post pictures. :)

This is Kal-El. He's about 6 months old. He's super friendly, loves attention. He really enjoys his sunshine time.

IMG_7635.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7569.jpg

And this is my newbie Lex. Of course he's not game for anything right now, especially pictures.

IMG_8006.jpg

IMG_7987.jpg

I think I will give Lex a little more time to settle in before I take hime out.

yeah, I mean if you just got him then give him a couple of weeks to get settled in.

Carol, if you don't mind me asking...would you shorten the amount of time of UVB light my chams get when they're outside or keep it on as usual for 12 hours?

you got some nice boys there i took mine out for a bit today :D he loves it

Attachments

• IMG00833-20110620-1233.jpg
    IMG00833-20110620-1233.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 88
My amazing Hugh is from Amazing Blue Reptiles and he is the GREATEST ever! I personally picked him out and got to meet them. They are GREAT people and very nice. I'm sure if you would have contacted them about your situation they would have worked with you. Chameleons are NOT for holding or cuddling with them (depending on the cham) and you just got a pissy tempered one. My female Panther Sambava HATES me and anything that has to do with me, I got her from Ryan Jerosek and he is AMAZING with his animals. I have been bitten by her plenty of times while feeding her or trying to spot clean her enclosure. Them not handling their babies is the best thing to do to avoid unneeded stress and keep them as healthy as they could be. It's not fair to bash a breeder for the personality of a chameleon... They are all different and unique just like a person would be. I would buy from them again any time! :D

I am very happy with my newbie. He is healthy and adjusting well. The people at Amazing Blue where very nice and all their animals looked wonderful. This is actually the first negative I have ever heard about them. So sorry you are not happy with your cham. :(

you got some nice boys there i took mine out for a bit today :D he loves it

He is so sweet looking. How old is he and how long have you had him? I am was trying to figure out when is a good time to introduce him to outdoors. I have only had him since Saturday. I am guessing I should wait a few weeks. I take Kal El out all the time...I have had him longer.

He is so sweet looking. How old is he and how long have you had him? I am was trying to figure out when is a good time to introduce him to outdoors. I have only had him since Saturday. I am guessing I should wait a few weeks. I take Kal El out all the time...I have had him longer.

ive had him for 2 weeks now i waited like 5 days to take him out and handle him but he ate food from my hand the second day... i think by now if he feels comfy you can go for it :) and thnx for the compliments

Sunlight n uvb bulb

check the feeder chow and dusts for D3' D3 is typically used for reptiles that get no regular exposure to nat sunlight.

So if your regimen includes D3 and you're going to regularly expose any rep to sunlight a decent amount of time a week, it's a good idea to substitue for chow/dusts that don't have D3 at least part of the time.

This is even more important for the little guys because it's typical to supplement twice as much during the early part of life than after.

Controlled sunlight exposure is most likely the best option but plenty of keepers keep/breed without sunlight.

The combination of d3 and sunlight will cause harm faster and more acute than the combo of sunlight and UVB bulb.

I believe the uv rays are strongest from 12 to 2?

Good advice.

I did take him out today. Pictures under the thread, Baby Lex. He didnt bite and wasnt hard to handle at all. He was a very good boy :)

Good advice.

I did take him out today. Pictures under the thread, Baby Lex. He didnt bite and wasnt hard to handle at all. He was a very good boy :)

Nice. Did you use any special way to get him out? I tried to lure my guy onto a stick but he wasn't having it and split too fast that he lost balance and fell 10 inches onto a large vine that broke his fall. I tried putting a bush outside his cage too but he didnt once go close to it.

I have been working up towards getting my hand closer to him by placing crickets on his perch from the get go. I think he thought I was giving him crickets, cause I got close enough to put my hand under him and the other hand over him, basically cupped him. Hubby opened doors while I carried him to his sun cage. When I put him in he sat on my hand awhile and just looked around. Then off he went.

Back
Top Bottom