When to Replace Cricket Water Cubes?

I tend to prefer a dry gutload + water gel combo myself, just cause I really don't like the maintenance an entire cricket ecosystem.
The stuff I use gets small and rubbery when it dries out, and I usually end up replenishing it every 4 days or so. It's not the same stuff you linked so this information might not be relevant

TBH, the water cubes are unnecessary. Gut loading with a gut load /fresh veg & fruit will provide them all the water they need.

I’m debating between gutloading with veggies and leaves. I understand this is ideal, but I also know this is much more upkeep and can stink quite a bit more.

If I’m using a high quality gutload such as Arcadia’s insectfuel, is there a large benefit of going fresh? At end end of the day I want to do what’s best for my chameleon.

I tend to prefer a dry gutload + water gel combo myself, just cause I really don't like the maintenance an entire cricket ecosystem.
The stuff I use gets small and rubbery when it dries out, and I usually end up replenishing it every 4 days or so. It's not the same stuff you linked so this information might not be relevant

This is my preference as well, as long as it’s still gutloading feeders with the proper nutrition.

I find that gutloading with veggies and fruit scraps is pretty easy and doesn't smell or mold, so long as I change it out every other day. I usually just put away a bit of any veggies or fruits I'm eating that I know are good for gutloading and that suffices for my two roach colonies and superworms. I'm in Florida so my humidity and temps are high in general. Why do you think fresh fruits and veggies would stink? They get eaten before they compost lol

I find that gutloading with veggies and fruit scraps is pretty easy and doesn't smell or mold, so long as I change it out every other day. I usually just put away a bit of any veggies or fruits I'm eating that I know are good for gutloading and that suffices for my two roach colonies and superworms. I'm in Florida so my humidity and temps are high in general. Why do you think fresh fruits and veggies would stink? They get eaten before they compost lol

I guess I had the idea of food out in the open going bad. That being said I haven't tried it. So I shouldn't knock it until I do :)

I guess I had the idea of food out in the open going bad. That being said I haven't tried it. So I shouldn't knock it until I do :)

Definitely give it a try! I keep the food on egg crates so the bugs can get to it easily and I can also remove it easily. If you're keeping crickets, they can smell bad (the bugs not the food) due to their poo, but vermiculite seems to help with that.

Yep that'll do! You can get a bigger cheaper bag at a home improvement or hydroponics store. I know it says that product is higher quality but regular would work just fine and is easier on the wallet. Plus what you find at a nursery or hydroponics store is also probably high quality. :)

That makes a lot of sense. Do you just end up replacing the vermiculite every time you get a new batch of crickets?

Back
Top Bottom