when should i worry/go to the vet

Very sorry for your loss. They can go downhill so fast. :( I was really hoping they could help get him back up and going strong. RIP little one.

So sorry mate always hard to lose a pet not alot of people would understand as they dont get reptiles but good to see you got so many people on here that feel your pain
I have herd that when they get sick they can go down hill very quick and not easy to get them back to good health so i would say if anyone thinks their cham is not right don't wait get them to a good reptile vet soon as

It breaks my heart to say that the vet just called and Creature has passed. Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. They were unsuccessful in their attempt to get bloodwork, and are quite honestly unsure of the cause.

cham creator: 150w full blast would certainly be too hot. I have it on a dimmer so that i can regulate the temperature, due to fluctuating temps this is the only effective method i have found.

The uvb is an arcadia 6%

Wow I'm shocked.. That's horrible.. Sorry for your loss, I have been there. I would also have someone do a necropsy as he mentioned, more knowledge can prevent this from happening again, as I'm sure you would want to know why he passed. Sorry to hear this..

I am sorry to bump this depressing thread. A necropsy was never offered despite my expression that I would like to know the cause. I should have been more firm, however this was not my strongest moment.

I am hoping that this does not deter me completely from getting another, I truly loved the little guy when he was with me.

Given that I do not know the cause, what should be done when I am ready to bring another home. I imagine his cage should be disinfected, but with what? Should I replace the plants/branches?

Finally, could a moderator/superuser please remove the picture of him sick...he did not look like that until the day of his passing and that is not how i want to remember him :(

I lost my first Cham and I remember how hard it was for me. Almost stopped me from getting my next, it took me a year to get my second. I can honestly tell you I am so happy I got him, I have learned much since the passing of my first and I still have much left to learn. I got a new cage at DIYcages.com I bought the 2x2x4 cage for my baby panther and he does really well with this larger size, he's juvenile now. The cage plus shipping ran me under $100 really good deal.
To disinfect the cage I use chlorhexidine glucconate (sorry if I butchered the spelling lol) but I found a gallon of it concentrated on amazon.com and you dilute it one ounce of the chlorhexidine in one gallon of water. Safe for the chameleons as vets use this to clean out infected chameleon mouths. I put it in a spray bottle and hose everything down in the cage, if you don't have a Cham in the cage while you do this, let it soak for half an hour. I cleaned all my branches and what not like this. I also have a misting system that washes away any excess disinfectant. Really works well.
But seriously, when you get one Cham, you will get more, you will be happy if you do, trust me on this one.

Back
Top Bottom