When Should I Start Handling my Chameleon?

I recently got a 3 month old male panther chameleon 5 days ago, when can I start handling him? Here is all of his husbandry filled out below:

Sex: Male panther chameleon
Basking temperature: 80 degrees Fahrenheit
Humidity levels: 45 (I ordered plastic shower curtains so I can put it on the sides of his enclosure to increase humidity levels)
Feeders: Dubia roaches, waxworms, hornworms, and BSFL, waxworms (He isn't eating yet but I already recieved help for that from other members)
Supplements: Calcium without D3 (I use this 6 days a week), calcium with D3, I use this every other week for one day, and a multivitamin( I use this every other week for one day)
UVB light: Linear T5 HO 5.0
Frequency and amount of food: Once a day, 10-15 feeders (at least planning to since he won't eat yet)
Cage size: 2 feet x 2 feet x 4 feet screen cage
Handling Care: I do not handle him since I got him so recently.
Watering: I use a mistking mister and it goes off 3 times a day for 2 minutes, yes I see him drink water
Fecal observations: Dark brown, slimy residue on it
I have never gotten a fecal from him but his poops are dark brown and has a bit of what looks like slime around it. He has never been tested for parasites because he was $300 so I assume his breeder took care of him well. I bought him from RobersonReptiles and he was shipped to me overnight from Florida. I am using all live plants- A money Tree, a Hawaiian Ti Plant, a Pothos plant, an Umbrella Tree, a Calathea Plant, a Wandering Jew, a Weeping Fig, a Spider plant, and a Prayer plant. For the placement, my cage is located in my room, very low traffic and quiet. It is not near any fans or air vents. The very top of my cage stands at about 4'10 feet tall. I live in California.

U sure its 3 months? Most decent sellers dont let loose till 5 months.

But anyways, just leave the cage door open, and try to coax them out with treats that they only get from the hand.

And I would never put my hand in the cage of a cham i was taming, that is their room.

Is he still black from stress?
No this is what he looks like now.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 3.07.40 PM.png

But anyways, just leave the cage door open, and try to coax them out with treats that they only get from the hand.

And I would never put my hand in the cage of a cham i was taming, that is their room.
Yeah he's 3 months, thanks for the advice!

Check out Beman blog on this site for handling she has veileds but my guess is it would work with panther as well- I’m doing it with my veileds and it’s working- planning on using it when I get my panther in a couple months...oh I also hold his cup and they didn’t at first but now eat out of the cup from my hand as well and will willing come out on my arm to eat... so it does work

I recently got a 3 month old male panther chameleon 5 days ago, when can I start handling him? Here is all of his husbandry filled out below:

Humidity levels: 45 (I ordered plastic shower curtains so I can put it on the sides of his enclosure to increase humidity levels)
Feeders: Dubia roaches, waxworms, hornworms, and BSFL, waxworms (He isn't eating yet but I already recieved help for that from other members)
Supplements: Calcium without D3 (I use this 6 days a week), calcium with D3, I use this every other week for one day, and a multivitamin( I use this every other week for one day)
Frequency and amount of food: Once a day, 10-15 feeders (at least planning to since he won't eat yet)
Watering: I use a mistking mister and it goes off 3 times a day for 2 minutes, yes I see him drink water
I have never gotten a fecal from him but his poops are dark brown and has a bit of what looks like slime around it. He has never been tested for parasites because he was $300 so I assume his breeder took care of him well. I bought him from RobersonReptiles and he was shipped to me overnight from Florida. I am using all live plants- A money Tree, a Hawaiian Ti Plant, a Pothos plant, an Umbrella Tree, a Calathea Plant, a Wandering Jew, a Weeping Fig, a Spider plant, and a Prayer plant. For the placement, my cage is located in my room, very low traffic and quiet. It is not near any fans or air vents. The very top of my cage stands at about 4'10 feet tall. I live in California.
I have a veiled but I’m sure it’s not much different. I’d let him adjust to the new cage before you start. This is a new place for him and you don’t want to stress him out. I’d wait a month before starting to handle him. My cham still isn’t very open to the idea of coming out. I’ll try and bring her out with treats but she’ll just eat them and run away🙄 don’t force him out if he doesn’t want to come out he doesn’t want to come out. Don’t ever grab him or some will not hesitate to bite. If he absolutely needs to come out for like a vet or you’re doing something to your cage that he can’t be in there for then yes bring him out but don’t grab and yank since it can damage their nails amongst other stuff. Mines all bark and no bite but I don’t know mines a female so yours might not hesitate to bite. Like the comment above said Beman’s blog is great!

My new VOHEMAR Panther cost $440 and arrived with MBD.
Price certainly doesn't prove that the animal is healthy.
Beware.

Your husbandry looks pretty good. Only change I suggest is raising your enclosure. Chams feel safest when they are higher than us.

Check out Beman blog on this site for handling she has veileds but my guess is it would work with panther as well- I’m doing it with my veileds and it’s working- planning on using it when I get my panther in a couple months...oh I also hold his cup and they didn’t at first but now eat out of the cup from my hand as well and will willing come out on my arm to eat... so it does work

I love the final entry "and after all of that, i learned about TVS Teenage Veiled Syndrome"

Back
Top Bottom