When forcefeeding becomes necessary?

omai didnt realise it was this young. ill retract my other post's. make sure you are feeding appropriate size crickets. give the youngin sometime and let her properly acclimate. dont mess with her and put as much coverage as possible in the cage for her to feel safe. putting the cage high in the room also will make her/him feel safe also. spray the cage three times a day and set up a dripper. set basking temps around 80* with 72*ambients. crickets should be the sized from the distance between her/his eyes. make sure to remove all crickets everynight.

Hey guys, good news and bad news. The good news is that i found a new piece of poop in the chams cage, the bad news is that its like orangish with the white dot thing. IS this bad?

Sooo tiny & cute.

Okay I panicked too w/ the orange urate that my cham was having when I got him but now that isn't a problem. You said there is white in there... I'd up the mistings & make sure you keep a drip cup dripping. Hopefully next one will be white or at least whiter in color.

I would get some live plants & give him lots of coverage to hide in, try to set the cage on a table for some height, don't handle for a while.
What worked with mine as far as feeding and watering went, was he only seemed to eat if the crickets were climbing up the screen wall. So I'd put one at a time on the wall about halfway up, and walk away and sit down so he'd have privacy to eat it. Same with small supers, climbing the wall, but mine wasn't that small as yours. He wouldn't dream of eating from my hand, or even crawlin on a vine. Only on the screen.
As for watering, get the water nice & warm. Start misting a plant on other side of cage, then move your way closer, but turn it facing up, so that the water will be going up then falling gently down on the chameleon. It's the only way mine would tolerate getting himself misted, otherwise he'd move away and hide till I left then drink from the closest leaf from there. He loved to drink off plants though, so I would try to get real plants in there asap, it will help with humidity and drinking and overall hydration, as well as provide a more natural environment for coverage and climbing. If they're constantly seeking out coverage it may affect their basking, which in turn will affect their digestion.
If their conditions aren't right the resulting stress will make any existing parasite load catch up with them. That might happen anyway though, so be prepared. :(
I know my flapneck didn't make it, but maybe our experience with his preferences will help you and yours.

Today i saw my baby cham take interest in baby crickets i put in her cage, she followed them with her head which probably means she was trying to target them. So i left her alone so she could eat

Back
Top Bottom