When do dubias typically eat?

azrael

We got some dubias the other day to see if Shiva and Kali would like them (they did, at least for today).

However, I've put some of the gutload blend that I feed the crickets and I haven't seen the dubia eat yet. Are they nocturnal eaters?

We got some dubias the other day to see if Shiva and Kali would like them (they did, at least for today).

However, I've put some of the gutload blend that I feed the crickets and I haven't seen the dubia eat yet. Are they nocturnal eaters?

Yes, they are much more nocturnal and shy compared to crickets, which is why i prefer not to use them.

But, at the end of the day, they are scavengers and will eat what's available, whether they like the taste or not.

no matter time of day when i put my home made mix in they all ambush, i love it lol. but yeah they def eat alot faster and alot more if it was dark

from my understanding they hold their food alot longer than crickets do. however you should just constantly feed them, i believe it will keep them healthier

Yes, they do hold onto the nutrition longer. While I agree that crickets gutload immediately, and are always eager to eat. IMHO dubia are a better feeder, I have mine in a very dark navy blue bin and anytime I look in there they are always eating. They also live longer, and are easy to breed.

Scott

1st post in quite a while as I do not have a chameleon anymore but I feed my dubias lettuce, bell peppers, carrots, kale, apples and cuties (small oranges), celery, and even dog food once in a while. They are given fruits once a week as treats and dog food 2-3x a month. Honestly my roaches eat better than I do!

Related question:

Do Dubia's eat their dead? I frequently find empty Dubia shells inside their feeder box, as though their tank mates have eaten everything but the shell….

When the dubias (or any other arthropod) moult, they leave their shell behind. Freshly-moulted dubias are white, but it doesn't take them long to darken up.

~B.

Back
Top Bottom