Wheat bran for dubia?

Yessabub

Established Member
I have so much wheat bran because I use it for my superworms and I just happened to think can I feed my dubia colony wheat bran?

I would encourage you to try something like this, it is a daily pill container that I use to offer different things to my roaches and learn what foods they like and which ones they REALLY like. You offer little same-sized portions of seven different things at a time, you can try dry or wet too. I have tried every type of breakfast cereal that I happened to have, Tang, Ovaltine, wheat germ, corn meal, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, buttermilk powder, basically anything I have that I can try. I have seen too many care sheets that look like they were just cut and paste repeated old things I want to know for myself. They do have favorites, but in general, they will eat anything!

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a cool idea but that didnt answer my question can they eat wheat bran? I know they would eat it but is it good for them?

You have a point, another thing- just because they really like something doesn’t mean it is good for them in quantity and could affect their suitability as a feeder for chameleons. So I guess circus peanuts is not a good roach diet? :)

I have so much wheat bran because I use it for my superworms and I just happened to think can I feed my dubia colony wheat bran?

CAN you - yes
SHOULD you - probably not, at least not alot, if you are then using the dubia as feeders for your chameleons. Wheat bran (grains generally) has the wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio.

The answer somewhat depends on are you trying to make the roaches happy, or are you gutloading with the objective of making the insect nutritious for the chameleon?
I find some of the best items to feed roaches, both for the health and breeding of roaches and more importantly for the healthy of my chameleons are:
Dried alfalfa
Dried or fresh dandelion leaves
Carrots
lightly steamed Butternut Squash
Mustard Greens
Orange (the fruit)
Papaya
Plus occassionally some bull kelp powder, spirulina, sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, brewers yeast.
more info: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/425-may-2011-gutload.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...just-crickets-roaches-gutload-everything.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/443-superworm-substrate-gutload-one.html

Last edited:
IM about to Do this. Feeding the colony wheat bran and pulling the feeders out before being fed to gutload them the day before. I've got 25 lbs of wheat bran...

@sandra...i do this w/ my crickets as well. do you think 1 day is good?

I choose to keep all of my roaches and crickets on a chameleon friendly gutload / feeding regime at all times. I personally think healthier roaches result, and it precludes me having to plan in advance when my chameleons are going to get roaches. That said, I think 24 hours is inadequate, but that 3 days would likely be good for either roach or cricket.

I choose to keep all of my roaches and crickets on a chameleon friendly gutload / feeding regime at all times. I personally think healthier roaches result, and it precludes me having to plan in advance when my chameleons are going to get roaches. That said, I think 24 hours is inadequate, but that 3 days would likely be good for either roach or cricket.

Hmmm...I actually started doing this this week bc I noticed others were putting the next days food in a separate container to gutload them. I WAS putting in the gutload for all my feeders and feeding from those feeders. Should I just go back to that??

Hmmm...I actually started doing this this week bc I noticed others were putting the next days food in a separate container to gutload them. I WAS putting in the gutload for all my feeders and feeding from those feeders. Should I just go back to that??

That's up to you :)
I think there is benefit to the always gutloaded method, but I also admit its likely not a big (if any) benefit compared to just gutloading in the few days prior to feed-off. Its the "one day" of gutloading that I find questionable.

That's up to you :)
I think there is benefit to the always gutloaded method, but I also admit its likely not a big (if any) benefit compared to just gutloading in the few days prior to feed-off. Its the "one day" of gutloading that I find questionable.

Got it. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom