whats your veiws?

firecat998

i was thinking of buy a fogger (mister) for my 8 month old veiled chameleon.i know it would help with the humidity but i was a little concerned as it says it creates a cold mist i suppose the heater would compensate for the cold drop in temrature.but would like to hear your oppinoins on the matter.

I would recommend not even buying one for a chameleon. Other pets they work great for the look and functionallity. For a chameleon you would have to run it for a long time. The replacement disk burn out all the time. The humidifiers can cost about the same or slightly more then a fogger. They do a way better job and are very dependable. I would recommend one the is a cold mist or ultra sonic. The mist in my cages is cooled by a couple degrees but not as bad as I was expecting.

question and dont mean to change topic but why a cool mist than a warm mist? wouldnt the warm mist help humidity a little more or not? thanks sorry again for changing subject!

question and dont mean to change topic but why a cool mist than a warm mist? wouldnt the warm mist help humidity a little more or not? thanks sorry again for changing subject!

Well John this is actually something I want to experiment with in the future. Some keepers of "montana" species utilize warm mist systems. I really could not comment on them because I am unsure as to how they are doing it and what effects occur. I would think that the normal way people vent humidifiers into their cage would not work the same with warm mist, could be wrong. Seems like once the warm mist ran up 5'-6' it would cool off and condense in the piping. I would suspect that it would get the cage more wet then humid since the drops would be larger. I just suggested the cool mist or ultrasonice because I know they do and how they work.

Now what I want to experiment with is to create more natural enviromental changes. It seems as though my chameleons are caught by suprise when the misting starts. Not like this is a big deal or anything I am just curious what would normally trigger them to know in the wild. Different animals get triggered to know by different things: some can smell it, sense the pressure change...etc.. What I wanted to try was to create the differances I feel in coordinance with the weather. Say it is a hot summer day. Clouds roll in from out of no where it seems sometimes and they do so fast. The effect I feel then is raised temperature and it becomes very humid (or muggy). Now in a chameleon cage for a mid day misting it seems like running something like a warm mist humidifier would build this effect inside the cage and then when the misting starts it goes off. Now say it rains late in the day (very common around here) the effect is a quick cool off and then the rain. A cool mist or ultrasonic running for a given amount of time could create this effect inside the cage and then the rain. I guess this is something I have more of an interest in trying to recreate in a cage. It may have no use or purpose for the chameleon but it has my interest.

ok thanks for the insight, makes sense. ill get a cool mist humidifier. thanks for the help and again sorry for kinda taking over the tread, my bad

Back
Top Bottom