What's wrong with her??? :(

nbhs_lauren08

I am really concerned about my chameleon..just a few minutes ago, she started acting really strange. She was drinking her water like she normally does and then she opened her mouth really wide and spit out her tongue and shook her head around. She pulled her tongue back in and then did it all again. Then she almost fell off of her branch and started running around the bottom of the cage, drooling. I am really scared and I don't know what's wrong!

how does she drink? Dripper? Off leaves? So long as no water is forced she would know when to stop. Cyrus will sometimes shake his head if I am misting him directly too much (sometimes he likes it).

Another thing that I have seen happen a couple times and sounds just like what yours did (except for the running around) is if he drinks a lot soon after eating he does the wide gaping, head thrashing then pukes up his meal. Seems to happen more often with silkworms.

How does she seem now?

A universal chameleon sign for throwing something up? That 'drooling' might be some excess water. This is just a guess though I have seen my little babe thrash his head when a mealworm was too big for him.

an added note in case you don't know this....chameleons have no sphincter to their esophagus and can aspirate. That is why force feeding can get tricky. I lost a leaf cham to aspiration when I gave her liquid antibiotics and simply did not know :(

how does she drink? Dripper? Off leaves? So long as no water is forced she would know when to stop. Cyrus will sometimes shake his head if I am misting him directly too much (sometimes he likes it).

Another thing that I have seen happen a couple times and sounds just like what yours did (except for the running around) is if he drinks a lot soon after eating he does the wide gaping, head thrashing then pukes up his meal. Seems to happen more often with silkworms.

How does she seem now?

Well she drinks off the leaves most of the time but when she's feeling lazy, she drinks from the dripper. She was drinking form the dripper when it happened.

She's alright now. :)

Back
Top Bottom