Whats the difference between t.q gracilior and t.q Quadricornis?

Since everyone is pitching in. These are a couple photo's of my lone male Trioceros quadricornis gracilor Rex. When he displays he has blue with gold and some orange around his head. Plus he has got a complete set of 4 horns. However they were knocked out of alignment during importation. He has got good sailfins on his back and tail. He has got some great phenotype's that I want to breed. He is exceedingly difficult to photograph.

0U1Iwc.jpg

tMf31S.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

@Motherlode Chameleon Jeremy, here's a picture of your boy a week or two after import. The ugly duckling turned into a swan! See, I told you I had looked at him before you bought him! He has a wonderfully tall sail fin; I remember that about him. [For those not familiar with quads and graciliors, their white spots/markings remain the same throughout their life, which is how I can identify a baby in the middle of a big clutch of miscellaneous green and white babies. Jeremy's Rex has some unique markings. ]

20150218_145846.jpg

@Motherlode Chameleon Jeremy, here's a picture of your boy a week or two after import. The ugly duckling turned into a swan! See, I told you I had looked at him before you bought him! He has a wonderfully tall sail fin; I remember that about him. [For those not familiar with quads and graciliors, their white spots/markings remain the same throughout their life, which is how I can identify a baby in the middle of a big clutch of miscellaneous green and white babies. Jeremy's Rex has some unique markings. ]

View attachment 171051

Janet thanks! They only imperfection Rex has now is his bent horns. This Gracilor is going strong now as I have owned him well over a year now. Other than the bent horns he has turned out to be a very healthy/almost flawless male Trioceros quadricornis gracilor. A Gracilor I mean to breed.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
This thread has just too much AWESOME in it!
I can't wait to work with this species. I have a pair coming, in very near future; just as soon as I finish building the parsonii mansion.

So many awesome quad pictures in this thread! Here is my female gracilior from Janet's import that came in gravid. She's just over a year old now and I'm looking forward to finding an unrelated male for her soon.
6FEF68DF-6B40-4DDF-A159-77AFE37B59A5_zpsvj4fgumv.jpg

68A34CF1-C252-4475-84CC-05814764CCCF_zpsrm9mi4ai.jpg

That clutch was so uniform in color! The mother was chartreuse green like yours but with teal cheeks. She doesn't show any yellow on her cheeks, casque or eye turrets like her babies do. Except for the little bit of blue, your girl is almost a carbon copy of the two girls I kept back from that clutch.

Any caresheets around for these?

@WAMBO No care sheets. They are a really easy species to keep, tough as nails. They aren't very active so they tend to just sit around looking pretty.

They are a montane that comes from an area that gets hundreds of inches of rain a year so an automatic mister is a must. I don't worry about the cage drying out. I started using a fogger for the babies and I like it. If I ever see them drinking, I know I am not keeping them right.

I don't let the temps at the top of their cage get above mid to high 70s. I almost never give them a basking bulb. I experimented with a new wild caught and kept her outside under a tree when the temps were mid 80s. She did fine for weeks and then I didn't like how she was doing when the temps climbed to 86F and brought her in the house. I didn't have a thermometer under the tree, so it likely was several degrees cooler than the weather forecast. I think a normal air-conditioned house will be fine for them.

I find they are very individual about things. I have some from the same import (so I would think they must have been collected from the same area), same species that have very different heat/sunlight preferences. One will be out in the open, soaking up the sun and quite warm to touch while another is down at the bottom in the shadows exposing less than one square inch of skin to the sun.

Basically, keep them cool and wet.

@WAMBO No care sheets. They are a really easy species to keep, tough as nails. They aren't very active so they tend to just sit around looking pretty.

They are a montane that comes from an area that gets hundreds of inches of rain a year so an automatic mister is a must. I don't worry about the cage drying out. I started using a fogger for the babies and I like it. If I ever see them drinking, I know I am not keeping them right.

I don't let the temps at the top of their cage get above mid to high 70s. I almost never give them a basking bulb. I experimented with a new wild caught and kept her outside under a tree when the temps were mid 80s. She did fine for weeks and then I didn't like how she was doing when the temps climbed to 86F and brought her in the house. I didn't have a thermometer under the tree, so it likely was several degrees cooler than the weather forecast. I think a normal air-conditioned house will be fine for them.

I find they are very individual about things. I have some from the same import (so I would think they must have been collected from the same area), same species that have very different heat/sunlight preferences. One will be out in the open, soaking up the sun and quite warm to touch while another is down at the bottom in the shadows exposing less than one square inch of skin to the sun.

Basically, keep them cool and wet.

My pair is similar in being so different from one another, the male will bask and hunt most of the day in full sun outside up to around 80F while female wants no direct sun if it's above 75 or so. Over winter both are fine inside without any supplemental heat and night drops to mid 60s.

Back
Top Bottom