Whats a good 5.0 flourescent light for my chams

freddyf385

Avid Member
Can anyone provide me with a good brand. Need to get a 4ft 5.0 uvb flouresecent light. I heard there were some brands in local pet stores out there that didnt do the job. And there chams had eye issues.

Will depend on the specific kind of bulb. T12, T8, T5, or T5HO. Reptisun makes the T5 and T8. If your cage is 36"-48" tall, you will probably need a 10.0. If it is T5HO, then you could probably easily use the 5.0. But, I am unaware of any brands.

Actually, there is a 48" T5 HO bulb made by Reptisun. I would recommend using T5 HO if your fixture is not currently. Brighter lights, by far, and cheaper on electric bill. Pays for itself. I have some T8 48" bulbs I use over my baby bins. I use them because they aren't super bright.

Get an Arcadia - they last 9 months instead of 6 -

this fits in a standard fixture -
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/d3rela48fall1.html

sorry to jump in here...
:D
Thank you for mentioning Arcadia!!

but they last 12 months EASY!

of course...
if you want to replace every 9 mo. ...
I am not going to stop anybody.
;)

Here are the details on them:
http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/

(PS. Arcadia has been around for 50 years and also makes professional lighting systems for Zoos all over the world, so they really know what they are doing.)

Thank you and Cheers!
Todd

Last edited:
sorry to jump in here...
:D
Thank you for mentioning Arcadia!!

but they last 12 months EASY!

of course...
if you want to replace every 9 mo. ...
I am not going to stop anybody.
;)

Here are the details on them:
http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/

(PS. Arcadia has been around for 50 years and also makes professional lighting systems for Zoos all over the world, so they really know what they are doing.)

Thank you and Cheers!
Todd

18 months an still pushing .7 UVI at 18", they started off at 1.2, and the 90 day old reptisun 10.0 was only putting out .5 UVI.

18 months an still pushing .7 UVI at 18", they started off at 1.2, and the 90 day old reptisun 10.0 was only putting out .5 UVI.

Thank you nightanole for contributing this.

As you may know...
some people still think Arcadia is just "hype" and a "new" fad.

:rolleyes:

Arcadia is the REAL DEAL and has been around lighting peoples reptiles, fish and birds in England and Europe for 50 years.

They understood the importance of UV and how to use it way back before some of us were born!:)

Cheers!
Todd

www.lightyourreptiles.com

i was also looking into a new fixture and bulb(s). for panthers, does everyone use the 6% or 12% arcadia bulbs?
Thanks.

i was also looking into a new fixture and bulb(s). for panthers, does everyone use the 6% or 12% arcadia bulbs?
Thanks.

Ditto on this, We have 24" x 48" cages for our 2 (soon to be 3, little ones). While we want the very best in bulbs, can you used arcadia bulbs in other fixtures? I've seen a helpful thread on this by Lazy Boy recently, but when you have 3 cages, the cost gets up there.

I am now pushing 48 yrs old and have been keeping some kind of reptile since I was 11 yrs old. I have tried just about everything under the sun as I am sure many other members have. I must say... I have had GREAT success with Arcadia bulbs and there fixtures. Todd @ Light Your Reptiles is a great guy to deal with. He can answer any lighting questions you might have and his customer service is out of this world as well as his packing and shipping abilities. :D

Alex

While we want the very best in bulbs, can you used arcadia bulbs in other fixtures?

They make Arcadia bulbs in both T8 which is a standard light fixture and in T5 which are newer smaller tubes - I have a bit of both- I was going to get a new fixture soon as I really like the way my plants actually live with the double fixture with the plant light but I was waiting till they got to be 9 months old for the switch- I guess I can wait another month or two-

I am now pushing 48 yrs old and have been keeping some kind of reptile since I was 11 yrs old. I have tried just about everything under the sun as I am sure many other members have. I must say... I have had GREAT success with Arcadia bulbs and there fixtures. Todd @ Light Your Reptiles is a great guy to deal with. He can answer any lighting questions you might have and his customer service is out of this world as well as his packing and shipping abilities. :D

Alex

aw shucks.
thank you Alex... you made my day. :)

and yes...

I am SEVERELY OCD about packing...

EVERYBODY'S lights get tested and packed with great care.
Hence it can take a day or two (or three :rolleyes:) since I literally have to plug in and test & pack bazillions of lights. LOL --my eyeballs are constantly seeing spots from looking at bright HO bulbs! ha ha ;)
Happy Holidays to you.
Most Sincerely,
Todd

Back
Top Bottom