What would you do?

I have faith in you and your ability to see this thing through with the female Jackson. Don't let someone get her that won't know dip and she'll die for sure... and all the babies too. My vote is that you get her quick!

I have faith in you and your ability to see this thing through with the female Jackson. Don't let someone get her that won't know dip and she'll die for sure... and all the babies too. My vote is that you get her quick!

This is a perfect opportunity to educate the store and keepers. Letting it stay has its uses as well.

I Guess It Goes Without Mention, But I Will Say It Anyway. Someone Who Supplies Such Chameleons To The Pet K-mart's Of The World Is To Blame In The First Place.

for any other stores abusing the care of thier animals (esp chams) why not drop the hint on how to look after it properly by leaving a printed off care sheet near or on top of the enclosure, that way they can see its from a well informed source and not just a customer (like the 13yo who doent get listened to) not meant to come across as doubting anyones experience as im new to all this too but hopefully you can see the logic in it.

its what i would do

that's great news and glad to hear the female is doing better but since the first reply the male has not been mentioned? did he get a screened enclosure too?
drew

Good question, and I apologize for not including him in my update.
No, he is still in the original enclosure for now but I am working with them.
I will do what I can and am not ignoring his situation. Again, the manager seems very eager to learn so I am optimistic.

-Brad

I have had the same conversations with the manager at my PetSmart. He tells me (as do the folks at PetCo) that all their caging, displays, etc are set by corporate -- so sorry he has no discretion. My own campaign includes the argument that if the company is going to sell chameleons, then it also must sell the supplies necessary to care for them. My PetSmart sells reptariums, but not screened cages, and in fact are most likely to sell a new cham purchaser a glass terrarium instead. They don't carry ReptiSun bulbs (ReptiGlo is their brand of choice), or drippers. Etc. Its heart breaking. The staff are all very nice but they are mostly fish and cat people. The manager assures me that the veterinary staff at HQ decide and approve all products...hmmm. Bet they're fish and cat people, too.

alot of them people who work there are afraid to speak out for fear of losing their jobs, and as for petsmart or petco corporate of course greedy i thought a person who controls the reptiles could just get stuff from the store and use what they want.

I am just a junior member and i dont know if you might consider my advise. There are several petstores in my area that sell chamleons. One in particular has repeatedly killed chameleons by the way they are being housed. I wont go into detail, but I was very upset and wanted to rescue them also. I did not rescue them, I did try and speak to the owner. Of course he was not intrested. I gusess my advise is if you do rescue them you will be adding to the pet owners greed. If he can sell them he will keep them in stock. If there is no profit in it, he then might be inclined not to keep them, and so saving lives. But that is just my humble opinion.

You make a very good point, and one that was addressed earlier in the thread.
One has to know, however, that by boycotting the purchase of one chameleon, you're not going to stop Petsmart from buying chameleons. What is happening in my story now is education.
I was there again today and everyone is so happy to see me. They gave me a giftcard for $25 for my help so far, and I was happy to find out that the manager has learned a lot in the last two days!!!
She's reading like crazy.
Our girl is the most lovely shade of calm and happy green in her new space in the back and the male (although still in the original enclosure) seems relaxed and happy as well.
I told them I may buy her and the manager again stated I would be the only one allowed to and that she would like to have a baby.
Haven't committed to owning her yet. The urgency is somewhat lessened now.
We'll see....I'll keep you all posted!

-Brad

Wow, that is great news. I am so glad you were able to educate the staff and make the mother to be more comfortable. Your a wonderful person.

Brad, are they reluctant to do something with the male or something? If either of them should have had the cage makeover, it should have been the one on display for sale.

I agree that both of them deserve proper housing.
I also believe that teaching your customers by example is the first step to sending these animals to good homes and giving perspective keepers some idea of what they are signing up for.
Baby steps Will. The manager, as I stated before, is eagerly learning and I think it is just a matter of time, but there is an element of gentleness that I believe is the key to my success here. You catch more flies with honey and I have tried to be encouraging and positive with this now receptive department.
I am going to be checking in with them often and I don't believe they are done making changes.
The primary emergency was seperating the two and that has been accomplished.
If it's any comfort to you, the male (although not in an ideal enclosure at the moment) seems very calm and happy. They are both eating and drinking and are well filled out, hydrated and very alert. He will definitely benefit by moving into something larger and more verticle but he is not suffering, stressed or uncomfortable right now.
If nothing else, the staff in that department are being educated and already have much better knowledge to share with a perspective buyer.
They do sell the reptariums and I am going to encourage them to set one up for him. A display of a chameleon set-up that includes supplies they sell would (I think) help to sell the products.
Again, I will keep you informed and hope that this little adventure of mine inspires others to take action and spread the knowledge and excitement of proper husbandry for these special animals.

-Brad

I had an experience with a petland in the month of june or july in 06. I walked inside to my my crickets, and I being the curiuos person I am, like always go to the reptile section of the store. When I look into the chameleon tank, I was in a state of shock. I saw a male veiled chameleon about 6 inches long and a male jackson chameleon about 5 or 5.5 inches long. I was so upset. I told the manager, and she didn't want to listen, she was just saying that they are fine. I explained that they are stressing each other out and its bad for there health and shouldn't be kept in a aquarium but still didn't listen. A few days after I passed by and say the jackson dead on the bottom of the tank. I was so disgusted with petland for not having properly trained employees. I haven't walked into that store ever since last summer, now I take the extra walk to pet co.

I haven't reported on this in awhile, here's an update:
The male has been sold to (I'm told) an experienced keeper. He knew a lot about chameleons and purchased about $400 worth of additional equipment and supplies according to the manager at the store. Hopefully he is in a great new home.
Our gravid girl, however, remains in the back and is, again, in a glass tank.:mad: Apparently the district manager came through and didn't like our set-up for her and made them change it. She looks okay, although I am not pleased that they do seem to ignore my request for some sort of drip system. They have a water dish and spray her throughout the day. How much this or any care happens for her is (I'm certain) dependent on who is working that day or shift.
Unfortunately Frank and I have determined that (for a number of reasons) bringing her home is not a good idea for us right now. We have also agreed that we would become advocates for her and try to find someone who would be a good care provider and understands what's coming up. That's a hard person to find!
On a more encouraging note, the manager told me yesterday that she will not be ordering any more chameleons. This has been too stressful for her and she doesn't believe a store like Petsmart should carry animals like these. She really does care but is, unfortunately, under the thumb and watchful eye of her superiors.

-Brad

Petsmart

Petsmart, or any other large chain for that matter, should not offer chameleons for sale any more than they should offer tigers and bears. The care of chameleons is unlike any other animal, including other reptiles. If you rated the difficulty of care for a reptile from 1-10, a chameleon would be about a 20. The number of people in the world motivated enough to care for a chameleon could not staff the petsmarts of the world, and could not work there if they wanted to, because the pay would not cover the expenses of thier own chams.

While I am disappointed that you won't be taking her home, I completely understand the intensity of the time consuming project ahead. Glad you are searching her out a person to undertake the project. I hate district managers. lol

Back
Top Bottom