What would be the chameleon's daily schedule?

I am going to get a chameleon soon, and I am preparing for it. I have been searching on the internet for a while for how to take care for a chameleon, to ensure the chameleon would be safe and happy when he gets here. I already know the food I will need, but I don't know when is the right time to feed the chameleon. When would be the right time to mist? Also, how often do you mist and feed?

Ideally feed in the mornings as early as you can. I know my cham usually won't eat until the lights have been on for a few hours though.

look into mistking or some other brand of automatic mister. They are a life saver. my lights are on a timer that comes on about 30min after sunrise and about 30 min before sunset. Heat bulb is on most of the time to maintain temp and humidity but uv light should be on always when it's daytime.

Check out the care sheets. I dont think when you feed them is important as how much you feed them.

Misting however is an art. Getting an auto mister imo is worth it. Its more then getting your cage wet. It cleans your chameleon. It hydrates them. It helps with shedding, etc.

You just don't want to feed them a lot close to when lights go out, because they need the heat to digest their food, otherwise there are no restrictions.
Misting depends on your ambient humidity. Try to maintain 60% humidity, with swings higher and lower being tolerated just fine.
For drinking and eye cleaning 3X 5mins sessions a day is plenty or you can supply one 15 min session daily, or even 3-4 30+mins sessions a week. A lot depends on how the chameleon responds and how long it takes to start drinking. I've never seen my veiled drink, except when he was very young, but it's obvious that he does, since he's healthy and almost a year old.

I am in the process of setting up my mister system and the 2 screen enclosures.. currently they are both in glass open front terrariums with screen top. when I am home I open the fronts for better air circulation. My 2 are usually sleeping when I get up at 5:30 or 6am.. I have my lights come on at 11am.. soo I feed them when I get home at 5 or 6pm.. my lights stay on until 10pm so they have a few hours to digest before bed. Occasionally if I know I will be home way later, I will leave a few bugs in a feeder cup in the morning before I leave. But I mainly only hand feed. If you don't get on my hand, you don't get dinner.. lol I also get a small bowl of water and a q tip and dip it in the water and put the droplet to their mouth and they tilt their head up and drink about 5-10 drops, one at a time. When done they just stare at me lol I also have a reptile fogger that goes on mid day until it runs out (i upped the bottle size to a Coca Cola bottle cuz the threads fit the nozzle tip.). but it still only lasts a few hours but keeps my humidity good during the day and makes water droplets on the glass. I mist in the morning and soak everything.. then I mist when I get home and usually and hour before lights go. Occasionally I catch them drinking off the glass because they shoot their tongue at the drops and I hear a thud lol And they also get strawberry and watermelon chopped up in a small glass bowl in the morning as a day snack, so good hydration source as well.

Back
Top Bottom