What UVB bulb do chameleons need? [VIDEO]

Gingero

Neptune the Chameleon
Site Sponsor
This video is a beast. I tried to cover as many components of UVB as I could with the target audience being new keepers who already have the incorrect UVB. Didn't want to get too sciency, but also wanted new keepers to have a strong understanding of the basic components of UVB.

Here are the topics included in this video:
What is UVB, Why do chameleons need UVB, What is wrong with compact UVB bulbs, What kind of UVB does a chameleon need, What brand should I buy, Where you can buy a T5 UVB bulb, What UVB strength does a chameleon need, What do UVB bulb numbers mean, What happens if there is too much UVB, What is a Solarmeter 6.5 and why is it helpful, When to choose a 5.0 or 6%, When to choose a 10.0 or 12%, What size bulb & fixture, What kind of UVB fixture, How much does a T5 UVB bulb and fixture cost, Where to put your UVB bulb, How long does UVB need to be on for, How often to replace UVB bulbs, & UVB and windows.

It is a very well done video with great detail and explanation... I do wish you would have expanded into fixture type making a difference in what strength bulb. Single vs dual vs quad... With quads utilizing 1 reflector panel for all 4 bulbs needing to use a 10.0 or 12% bulb vs a quad with individual reflectors for each bulb needing the 5.0 or 6% bulb.

It is a very well done video with great detail and explanation... I do wish you would have expanded into fixture type making a difference in what strength bulb. Single vs dual vs quad... With quads utilizing 1 reflector panel for all 4 bulbs needing to use a 10.0 or 12% bulb vs a quad with individual reflectors for each bulb needing the 5.0 or 6% bulb.
Thank you!
It did cross my mind, but I was trying to be mindful that the majority of people that are going to be watching this are people who have compact UVB and are probably needing to make lots of other husbandry changes at the same time. Single fixtures tend to be the most common with the most amount of info available, so that's why I made that suggestion. Seems people do best when you can guide them to one option versus giving them multiple options and asking them to make the choice. I think it would be worthwhile to make another video in the future that goes into more of the details and nuances of UVB. Perhaps a UVB 201 video :)

Thank you!
It did cross my mind, but I was trying to be mindful that the majority of people that are going to be watching this are people who have compact UVB and are probably needing to make lots of other husbandry changes at the same time. Single fixtures tend to be the most common with the most amount of info available, so that's why I made that suggestion. Seems people do best when you can guide them to one option versus giving them multiple options and asking them to make the choice. I think it would be worthwhile to make another video in the future that goes into more of the details and nuances of UVB. Perhaps a UVB 201 video :)
I think it is one of the best explanations of UVB as a whole that I have ever seen. You made it simple for the average newbie to understand.

And your right most will not pick up a quad. That ends up being an upgrade for most later when they want more light for plants.

Back
Top Bottom