what type of incubator is best???

dkollaritsch

Somebody help!!
What have you used as an incubator with your panther eggs?? What degree and how long for hatching? And where did you purchase your incubator?
Have eggs due soon!!!!
Thanks
Denise

Howdy,

I used a Hova-Bator incubator for the last batch of panther eggs. It worked ok so long as the outside temp doesn't go higher than the temperature you set. The Hova-Bator can't lower the temp below the outside temp. Another choice that some keepers are successfully using is:

http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/demifrwiprth.html

It is a mini-refrigerator/heater combined. It will heat or cool depending on your thermostat setting. It costs more (~$90) but when you aren't incubating eggs you can be incubating a Pepsi instead:). As I recall, the one that I saw at a friend's house was about the size of a double-wide PC tower.

P.S. Don't buy the Hova-Bator with the built-in fan. You don't need/want to stir the air.

Edit: It looks like the ThermoKool MR-138 has the adjustable thermostat and the MR-128 has only full cold or full hot settings.

Last edited:
I agree with Dave in regards to the hovabator – it can’t cool so it’s only good for winter months.

As for the ekitchen fridge, I have one and am not impressed with it. It’s not proportional enough. If the temps get too warm it kicks on the refrigeration part of it and it drops the temps down into the low 60s – when I have it set to 73! Same thing happens when it gets too cold – the heater kicks on and makes it warmer then I want. I also have to set the temp to 70 in order to get 73. I know all this by keeping an eye on it and checking the temp gauge I keep in there with the eggs.

-roo

My house stays around 75 to 78 all year round. I just keep my panther eggs at room temperature and have very high hatch success rates and have never used an incubator of any sort. I hatch hundreds of chameleons and have them hatching practically every day of the week. If you're house stays between 70 to 78 I'd say there's no need for one. I only use incubator/fridges for my montane species.

...As for the ekitchen fridge, I have one and am not impressed with it. It’s not proportional enough. If the temps get too warm it kicks on the refrigeration part of it and it drops the temps down into the low 60s – when I have it set to 73! Same thing happens when it gets too cold – the heater kicks on and makes it warmer then I want. I also have to set the temp to 70 in order to get 73. I know all this by keeping an eye on it and checking the temp gauge I keep in there with the eggs.

-roo
Howdy Roo,

Now you've got me wondering :eek:! I'll have to check with the other keeper who has been using one. I may have to put my min/max digital thermometer in her eKitchen frig and see what the heck is going on.

I may have to put my min/max digital thermometer in her eKitchen frig and see what the heck is going on.

Please do so, maybe mine is bunk but I know Chris has one and he has similar issues as well.

-roo

Glad to hear you guys talk about that now.. it is on my "next" list, and I planned to order one this week. Please let me know what you figure out in regards to those.

Heika

all you gotta do is incubate your eggs in a air conditioned room if the electricity goes out during a heatwave then it won't matter if you have i refridgerator type incubater unless the power only goes off for a few hours.
im thinking about putting mine in the basement to incubate.

well I will try not using an incubator. Are you saying that I should keep the eggs cooloer for the first few months then warmer that latter months?? Do you try to keep it at the same temp the whole time. What temp do you find to work the best for hatching, and about how long before they do hatch. I have heard around 5-6 months.??? I"m new at this !!!! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom