What type of grow lights do you guys use for your plants?

maya2

I currently have a bougainvillea and a schefflera in my veiled chams cage, and while the schefflera appears fine I think my bougainvillea needs some more lighting action.

However, I don't know much about grow lights or how certain wattages will affect little Anarchy.

What works for you guys?

I would suggest a jungle dawn led light from light your reptiles, they are a site sponsor so you can find their link here. Their lights are very quality and at a great price. I found the klip its modle helpful because I have a large enclosure and no light reaches the bottom of my plant. So I clipped the light on a desk by my enclosure and it points towards the bottom. Ever since then my plant has perked up quite a bit

I have used a 6500K no name brand tube-light out of Home-Depot. Right now, I am using a Flora-Sun made by Zoo-Med. Both work decently enough and don't affect my wallet or setup. They slide right into my 48" T8 work-shop lamps.

Here is a link from the last one I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Coral...8&qid=1377145030&sr=8-1&keywords=flora+sun+48

I believe this one was even cheaper than the one they sell at Lowes or Home-Depot. It also comes in shorter lengths, if needed. Good luck OP.

I have T5 full spectrum grown lights that I got from Lee Valley. They come in a 24" and 48" version. Prices are in the $30 - $45 range per fixture and include the bulb. I am extremely happy with these bulbs. I have had a hibiscus in one of my chams enclosures for a year now. I have never put it outside for "real" sunshine and not only is it still alive, it flowers on a regular basis.

I have not used the Light Your Reptiles ones only because shipping to Canada on them is really expensive. However, I have not doubt they are fabulous given all the positive feedback.

I have the dual bulb setup from lightyourreptiles that has the Arcadia 6% UVB and the 6500 plant light. My plants are growing very well under these conditions.

I have T5 full spectrum grown lights that I got from Lee Valley. They come in a 24" and 48" version. Prices are in the $30 - $45 range per fixture and include the bulb. I am extremely happy with these bulbs. I have had a hibiscus in one of my chams enclosures for a year now. I have never put it outside for "real" sunshine and not only is it still alive, it flowers on a regular basis.

I have not used the Light Your Reptiles ones only because shipping to Canada on them is really expensive. However, I have not doubt they are fabulous given all the positive feedback.

WHAT!! thats cool. How many t5 bulbs do you have on your tank and what are the dementions of your habitat?

Thanks you guys!
You've been such a big help. This is going to make shopping so much easier, and my plants way happier :D

WHAT!! thats cool. How many t5 bulbs do you have on your tank and what are the dementions of your habitat?

My habitat is 36" wide x 24" deep x 48" tall. I have two of the 24" T5 grow lights from Lee Valley and I used another one of their fixtures for a T5 UVB bulb because their fixtures were cheaper than anything else I can get here. I should note too that I'm still on my first bulbs (grow lights, not UBV), so they last a long time too. Other than that, it's just an incandescent basking light, and like I said, my hibiscus has lasted more than a year and flowers too. I also have a ficus in there that is growing really well.

Awesome. Can you post some picts of habitat? would really like to see how you positioned your lighting as well as your setup!

Just a follow up on the plant lighting question. I hope you dont mind.
I am using 50 watt basking bulbs in all 3 set ups. All three have ficus for there live plants. The ficus has lost some leaves, and I would like to energize them. Is there a combo plant and basking bulb to use. I am maxed out with electric so I cant add any more fixtures.
Thanks

Just a follow up on the plant lighting question. I hope you dont mind.
I am using 50 watt basking bulbs in all 3 set ups. All three have ficus for there live plants. The ficus has lost some leaves, and I would like to energize them. Is there a combo plant and basking bulb to use. I am maxed out with electric so I cant add any more fixtures.
Thanks

I don't know about bulbs, but Video Master mentioned that dual bulb fixture from lightyourreptiles?
Also, they have a lot of led options which I believe use less power?

The dual bulb fixture from lightyourreptiles has 1 plug and handles the UVB and the plant light. It is great that it only uses the 1 plug plus it has on/off switches on the side as well. The basking light you will need a separate plug for, that takes you down to just 2 plugs.

Back
Top Bottom