What type of chameleon should I get?

How do you think they got the cb chams at some point in the family tree there had to be a wild family memeber.

First off, if someone is buying a wild caught to save money they will most likely not save money without simply disregarding a life. If you want the experience of watching a properly cared for chameleon get sick and a wild caught is a good choice. If you want to find all the local herp vets a wild caught is a good choice. If you want to start a breeding program, are very familiar with chameleon care, parasite treatment, and are prepared to take a few losses wild caught is an excellent choice.

If your a beginner, willing to do research, learn, and take constructive criticism and want a positive pet experience captive is a better choice.

WC are for breeders, experienced ones, captive are for pets. This can be debated but I can't imagine someone who wants a pet being interested in a wild caught.

And Senegals that are wild caught can be perfectly fine pets . You will probably fail before you succeed with chameleons . Matter of fact it's good to fail because that's how you learn. Don't give in to the crap these people say you will learn ALOT with these common cheap chams even if there sick you will learn what happens with Chameleons when there sick . Trust me get a Senegal At a reptile show it will 15$ and you can build on that going into the future as a chameleon keeper .

Please skip over everything you read in the above quote. It is the worst information you could give to someone asking for advice.

Read what others have said in this post. Its great advice to someone just starting out.

Carl

Listen I understand that wc chams aren't ALAWAYS a good choice but that dosent mean they can't be kept by beginners i started with Senegals and they did great and it is my opinion that they make great starters if you pick the correct ones.

I do agree that the animals life is important and it is true that cb zchameleons generally do better

Let me explain my reasons for likeing Senegals as beginner chams.

While Senegals are generally wild caught if you set there cage up right and clear them out they can become healthy pets

They eat well

They stay small

There freindly

There cheap

People don't always want veilds cuz there mean and huge and panthers are expensive sure I agree panthers are great but the practical person won't want to buy a freakin 300$ 2 inch Cham. Senegals are just a differnt choice that is cost effective ect.

I totally agree with the whole cost issue. These are fragile creatures-you will probably need a vet at some point. Not to mention the cost of varied feeders. Not something to bargain shop for. Make your decision on how you can manage the hobby as a whole. There are so many other reptile pets that require less care.

So - I guess you convinced your Mom? Now the waiting for the right one - good luck- it's half the fun - the reason I suggested you look at the picture of the baby flapneck was that I had read your previous thread and I thought it might fit what you were looking for - smaller than a vield -similar care (don't take my word more research) - they are hard to find captive bred.

And Senegals that are wild caught can be perfectly fine pets . You will probably fail before you succeed with chameleons . Matter of fact it's good to fail because that's how you learn. Don't give in to the crap these people say you will learn ALOT with these common cheap chams even if there sick you will learn what happens with Chameleons when there sick . Trust me get a Senegal At a reptile show it will 15$ and you can build on that going into the future as a chameleon keeper .

Wow! I really hope no beginner reading this takes this advice. I am not trying to attack Sargentstickytongue personally but this is absolutely the worst advice someone can give a beginner. A beginner should only ever start with a captive bred chameleon and this forum is here to help others not to fail. There is no reason anyone should have to fail with there first chameleon. This is not to say that a beginner can not be successful with a wild caught but it is definitely less likely and it creates a stress on wild population that can be avoided. Wild caught chameleons should only be kept by individuals who are planning to breed them and a beginner usually does not plan on breeding right from the start.

Please quit giving this advice and if you are a beginner to the hobby please do not take this advise into consideration.

I was gone for one day and this happened! One thing I read the most were people saying that if you are worried about the cost you shouldn't get one. I am saying that I don't want to start off with a panther considering You can buy a veiled for around $100 total and use the money you would have spent on the panther to better supply your first cage. Believe me, I have done extensive search on several species (mostly Veiled) and I just wanted any feedback on any of the chameleons. I am not afraid of being to pay for it at all. To start with I plan to save about $800-$1000 along with saving up after that. On a side note, I don't want to offend anyone, but I find the people who have posted thousands of posts more reputable than the people with tens of posts. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, and please keep it coming!

So - I guess you convinced your Mom? Now the waiting for the right one - good luck- it's half the fun - the reason I suggested you look at the picture of the baby flapneck was that I had read your previous thread and I thought it might fit what you were looking for - smaller than a vield -similar care (don't take my word more research) - they are hard to find captive bred.
She is beginning to be more and more adherent to the idea. Thanks for taking the time to look at my other post too! She knows that I can care and pay for it, but she doesn't want to care for it when I am gone for 3 weeks in the summer. In return to that I asked my friend to take care of it, as I will pay him to do so. She keeps trying to make up reasons and I keep coming back with good solutions, half of them from you guys on the forum! Thanks again to everyone! None of them being lies!

Veileds are really cool chams if you get one you will be very happy with your choice. As previously stated, there are many ideas on how to care for chams on here but I have found the more experienced keepers all pretty much follow a similar regiment. Don't listen to previous posts about failing first, they are may be accurate for that OP but they are not good advice for a beginner. If you take the time to learn and you are not afraid to ask questions you will be fine. I started with a female panther and had no probs with egg production, I was ready with a lay bin and so forth. If you want a cham don't let the previous banter dissuade you. They are the best pets. Good luck and we look. Forward to picks!

Veileds are really cool chams if you get one you will be very happy with your choice. As previously stated, there are many ideas on how to care for chams on here but I have found the more experienced keepers all pretty much follow a similar regiment. Don't listen to previous posts about failing first, they are may be accurate for that OP but they are not good advice for a beginner. If you take the time to learn and you are not afraid to ask questions you will be fine. I started with a female panther and had no probs with egg production, I was ready with a lay bin and so forth. If you want a cham don't let the previous banter dissuade you. They are the best pets. Good luck and we look. Forward to picks!
I appreciate the help and feedback! I must say that I won't start out with a female though. I do feel like I personally should start out with a male because babies are a whole other ball park from what I have found. One day I do wish to have a female though. Also, hopefully the pics will be sooner rather then a couple of years.

I was gone for one day and this happened! One thing I read the most were people saying that if you are worried about the cost you shouldn't get one. I am saying that I don't want to start off with a panther considering You can buy a veiled for around $100 total and use the money you would have spent on the panther to better supply your first cage. Believe me, I have done extensive search on several species (mostly Veiled) and I just wanted any feedback on any of the chameleons. I am not afraid of being to pay for it at all. To start with I plan to save about $800-$1000 along with saving up after that. On a side note, I don't want to offend anyone, but I find the people who have posted thousands of posts more reputable than the people with tens of posts. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, and please keep it coming!

There are several reasons purchase cost shouldn't be a huge contributing factor, especially when the price difference is under 200 dollars.

Most importantly of these reasons you're going to be responsible for this chameleon for 4 to 7 years, it better be an animal you're going to love spending countless hours caring for. If you know you're going to love a Nosey Faly Panther above all else you would be best served to wait until you can afford it. If Veileds really get you excited get one of those. If your like me and Senegals are your absolute favorite find a cbb and snap it up. The point being get what you love.

Secondly is that a good set up is expensive and there isn't a lot of room for comprises. A bare bones set up will be at least 200 dollars for the cage and lighting hygrometer, thermometer, and some plants. If you can't be present to hand mist a few times a day add another 150 for a mister and timer.

Now you have feeding and maintenance. If your not culturing your own insects plan to pay at least 30 a month to provide a proper insect variety. Store bought gut loads and or home made plus vitamins and calcium should run about 50 - 100 depending on selection and need to be replenished when out. I figure about 100 a year. None of this includes possible electricity or water usage bills. Finally, a responsible pet owner will bring their pet in for an annual vet exam. It is important to have decals done at least annually to be sure you catch any parasites. Parasites can and do show up in healthy captive animals, they can come from feeders, the environment, etc. And don't forget, you need 2 uvb bulbs a year at 20 each.

Then there is emergency vet bills. Maybe this will never be needed but I like to keep 1,000 dollars available for vet expenses in general.

So all in all you will need to spend between 200 and 400 on aset up, 500 to 600 a year (could be much more) plus any possible vet emergency. Looking at this it makes little to no sense to quibble over a few hundred dollar purchase price difference to not get exactly what you want.

If you need the difference in purchase price to supply your first cage I advise to just wait until you have more money.

I have seen too many dead chameleons because people thought they could wait on something like a uvb light, or proper temp control.

Whatever you choose remember this hobby punishes impatience more than most.

There are several reasons purchase cost shouldn't be a huge contributing factor, especially when the price difference is under 200 dollars.

Most importantly of these reasons you're going to be responsible for this chameleon for 4 to 7 years, it better be an animal you're going to love spending countless hours caring for. If you know you're going to love a Nosey Faly Panther above all else you would be best served to wait until you can afford it. If Veileds really get you excited get one of those. If your like me and Senegals are your absolute favorite find a cbb and snap it up. The point being get what you love.

Secondly is that a good set up is expensive and there isn't a lot of room for comprises. A bare bones set up will be at least 200 dollars for the cage and lighting hygrometer, thermometer, and some plants. If you can't be present to hand mist a few times a day add another 150 for a mister and timer.

Now you have feeding and maintenance. If your not culturing your own insects plan to pay at least 30 a month to provide a proper insect variety. Store bought gut loads and or home made plus vitamins and calcium should run about 50 - 100 depending on selection and need to be replenished when out. I figure about 100 a year. None of this includes possible electricity or water usage bills. Finally, a responsible pet owner will bring their pet in for an annual vet exam. It is important to have decals done at least annually to be sure you catch any parasites. Parasites can and do show up in healthy captive animals, they can come from feeders, the environment, etc. And don't forget, you need 2 uvb bulbs a year at 20 each.

Then there is emergency vet bills. Maybe this will never be needed but I like to keep 1,000 dollars available for vet expenses in general.

So all in all you will need to spend between 200 and 400 on aset up, 500 to 600 a year (could be much more) plus any possible vet emergency. Looking at this it makes little to no sense to quibble over a few hundred dollar purchase price difference to not get exactly what you want.

If you need the difference in purchase price to supply your first cage I advise to just wait until you have more money.

I have seen too many dead chameleons because people thought they could wait on something like a uvb light, or proper temp control.

Whatever you choose remember this hobby punishes impatience more than most.
As I previously said, I am not worried about cost, but as my first chameleon I want one that is hardy and not the most expensive. I have four dogs and about 15 fish. I don't pay for everything but I do pay for my dog and I never have problem paying for him. I will have plenty of money and will continue to save plenty. I have done my research and am not stopping now. I just want feedback on what I asked please. Thank you.

As I previously said, I am not worried about cost, but as my first chameleon I want one that is hardy and not the most expensive. I have four dogs and about 15 fish. I don't pay for everything but I do pay for my dog and I never have problem paying for him. I will have plenty of money and will continue to save plenty. I have done my research and am not stopping now. I just want feedback on what I asked please. Thank you.

Well then a panther is ideal. They are very hardy, very friendly, and as a general rule you are less likely to have weird congenital issues. I would go for a mixed locale as a pet because the increased genetic diversity makes for a healthier animal in general. They also tend to be less expensive than pure locales.

You do realize you're contradicting yourself though? Cost not being a factor but not wanting the most expensive to start with? These aren't fish, that makes sense with fish, but not chameleons. They are easier to care for than many saltwater and some freshwater fish.

Well then a panther is ideal. They are very hardy, very friendly, and as a general rule you are less likely to have weird congenital issues. I would go for a mixed locale as a pet because the increased genetic diversity makes for a healthier animal in general. They also tend to be less expensive than pure locales.

You do realize you're contradicting yourself though? Cost not being a factor but not wanting the most expensive to start with? These aren't fish, that makes sense with fish, but not chameleons. They are easier to care for than many saltwater and some freshwater fish.
I am debating between a panther and veiled because of the extensive research and information available on them. And by mixed locale, do you mean like two different species of panther that were bred or am I totally wrong?

I think my panther is cool - If I were you I'd ask your mother which one she thinks is best -(moms can not resist that tactic- I know) There are quite a few members here who got there own after their kids moved out and they missed having a chameleon in the house -

I am debating between a panther and veiled because of the extensive research and information available on them. And by mixed locale, do you mean like two different species of panther that were bred or am I totally wrong?

Sorry, I sometimes assume people know this stuff when most don't. A locale is essentially where in Madagascar the chameleons wild ancestors can be found. Each location has panthers that have different coloration, and to a very minor extent different body shapes. They are all the same species, just different coloration. For example when someone says they have a Nosey Be panther the ancestors were from the island of Nosey Be off the west coast of Madagascar and tend to have more blue coloration. An Ambilobe is from a region in Madagascar by the same name and have a general set of color traits. There is a huge variation in the species.

A mixed locale would be when the ancestors are from two different areas. Many like to breed pure locales to preserve specific color traits and because it often increases the value. Mixing locales reduces the chances of having related ancestors and reduces the chance of a detrimental recessive trait manifesting.

Back
Top Bottom