What type of chameleon should I get?

CHer23

Whenever I do get a chameleon, (hopefully soon) what would be a good starter? I have researched a lot and found a few that I am interested in. Veiled, Carpet, Senegal, and Graceful. Can anyone give me any information on any these? I have heard that Veiled's tend to be the more aggressive species. Thanks!

Veilds and Panthers are what most people start out with and as far as the aggression, it really depends on the chameleon. There are members on here who have nice Veilds.

There is a picture of a captive bred Flapneck from one of the sponsers in the gallery section- veileds are nice too -

Veilds and Panthers are what most people start out with and as far as the aggression, it really depends on the chameleon. There are members on here who have nice Veilds.
The only reason why I was kind of going towards the Veiled was because of the excess of information on them. Once I get older though I plan on getting a panther. Any info you could give me on a veiled or advice would be much appreciated!

I recommend a panther. I guess maybe I'm a little partial because that's what i went with. I think as a first chameleon it's really cool to be able to watch the changes in color as they grow. I always get my pets as babies. That's what i did with my cham. Ive been around him his whole life so he seems to trust me. he has no problem being held or hand feeding or anything. The color change is just amazing. Every shed is like christmas for me. Besides that, panthers are pretty easy to care for in relation to other chameleon species

You can start with whichever one of those most catches your interest. There is a lot of information out there about panthers and veileds but the other species you mentioned are not any more difficult, just a little harder to find. But they are out there and make wonderful chameleons as well as long as you've done your research on care.

The carpet is the smallest of all the ones you mention, so if you are tight on space one of these might be ideal. They can live in a smaller cage than the others. The veiled on the other hand is the largest, and will need a cage that is 4' tall and at least 2' deep and wide.

If you decide that you like one more than another we can point you in the direction of more detailed info. But a good start is this page: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/

I suggest you go with one of the more common species, where there is more known about care, more people can help.
even more importantly, I suggest you go with whichever type you are best able to provide care - caging, temperature, water and humidity, feeding, etc

Don't start with a panther because if u fail u will lose ALOT of money.

Honestly if u have owned any lizards before I wouldn't get into chameleons I'd try somthing like a bearded dragon or an anole first.

I had Senegals as my first chameleons and they are great but they can get sick really fast.

They are really nice , and cheap so there good to start with

Or u can get a veild like I have now which was a mean lizard when I first got him but he's super nice now. Just realize veilds are tough and can be tamed and take even substandard conditions but they get real big and if they don calm down ur left with a GIANT , mean brute of a lizard who try's to bite u even when u just walk by the cage.!!!

First off, if the purchase price is a concern you are best off not getting a chameleon. Proper feeding, care, and veterinary expenses will annually exceed the purchase of all but the really expensive specialty panther locales.

Most Senegals and gracefuls you see for sale cheap are a horrible choice. Unless you can specifically find healthy captive bred from a good breeder then they are excellent choices. (expect to pay a bit more than the typical 30 dollar price, these are wild caught and you will need to spend a lot of money at the vets not to mention special care to properly acclimate.)

Whatever you get make sure it is captive bred from a reputable breeder. Panthers, veiled, and carpets are regularly bred.

Also I agree that a male is easier than a female for a first Cham as females require slightly more advanced care in dealing with egg production.

I completely agree. If you can't afford the chameleon, you can't afford to care for it properly. They're expensive and time consuming. You have to prepare for that. And you shouldn't be worried about failure either. It's just not an option. Sometimes animals get sick. It happens. But if you fail to properly care for your pet is because you weren't ready to have it. Whatever you get, so all your research BEFORE you buy it. Know what you're getting yourself into.

Panthers are expensive because there special chams and the breeders don't want them to fall into bad hands.

Not really... they're expensive because they're the most flashy of the hardy chameleon species commonly available and so they're extremely popular, which drives up the price. It's supply and demand.

And Senegals that are wild caught can be perfectly fine pets . You will probably fail before you succeed with chameleons . Matter of fact it's good to fail because that's how you learn. Don't give in to the crap these people say you will learn ALOT with these common cheap chams even if there sick you will learn what happens with Chameleons when there sick . Trust me get a Senegal At a reptile show it will 15$ and you can build on that going into the future as a chameleon keeper .

A few important things though

Make sure it's eyes arnt sunken in and that its walking around or at least standing erect.

Get cb if you can but wc arnt bad if your willing to devote the time

And do your reasearch on chameleon housing ect .

Any lizard with black flecks or yellow tounges are sick lizards avoid them.

And Senegals that are wild caught can be perfectly fine pets . You will probably fail before you succeed with chameleons . Matter of fact it's good to fail because that's how you learn. Don't give in to the crap these people say you will learn ALOT with these common cheap chams even if there sick you will learn what happens with Chameleons when there sick . Trust me get a Senegal At a reptile show it will 15$ and you can build on that going into the future as a chameleon keeper .

UH, let's NOT do this. Let's not set people up to fail, shall we? And lets not call helpful, experienced advice crap either.

OP, start with a healthy, captive bred chameleon and there is no reason you have to fail. Anyone who fails with a healthy chameleons is a person who has not done their proper research and set up a decent enclosure with all their needs. Chameleons are delicate, yes, but they aren't neuroscience. But starting with a wild caught, stressed, parasite-infested, dehydrated chameleon at a show is a bad way to ease into it, especially when wild caught chameleons are a challenge even for very seasoned keepers.

Do your research, find a healthy chameleon from a reputable source to start with, set up everything ahead of time, never stop learning, and there is no reason that the odds shouldn't be in your favor from Day 1.

I guess it all depends on why you want a chameleon in the first place. In my opinion, a chameleon is a living breathing being that deserves a good life just as much as you do. They should not be treated as some sort of science experiment or educational opportunity. If you don't plan on giving your new pet everything it needs to live a good life, don't get it. If you get a sick chameleon you're either going to spend a lot of money on it anyway, or you're going to do nothing and let it die. If you're willing to let it die and move on for the sake of a learning experience, you're buying a chameleon for the wrong reason. Not trying to step on any toes or get in an argument, but this forum isn't about you. it's about the chameleons. that's why we're all here

We have our own opinions, if you can take anything away from this forum it's that there's no set right way of doing things and that people in this business all have there own opinions on how to do things.

Back
Top Bottom