What type of Aluminum screen and where to get it??

Argentra

Ok, I want to build my own cham cage(s) and, after much reading, have seen that aluminum screen seems much better to use than window screen.

Now, my question is: what type of aluminum screen do these cages use and where would be the best place to get some? I go to Lowes regularly and looked at their screen...but the stuff marked as aluminum seemed to be rather rough and metal-y. Wouldn't there be a problem with rusting, or am I being silly in thinking that aluminum rusts? :p

So, should I look into getting some aluminum screen for my cages or is it alright to stick with door/window screen?

aluminum does not rust. It corrodes.
it says it will take 10,000 years for aluminum to disintegrates.
I think I am happy with that time limit :D :D
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_aluminum_not_rust

Ok, I want to build my own cham cage(s) and, after much reading, have seen that aluminum screen seems much better to use than window screen.

Now, my question is: what type of aluminum screen do these cages use and where would be the best place to get some? I go to Lowes regularly and looked at their screen...but the stuff marked as aluminum seemed to be rather rough and metal-y. Wouldn't there be a problem with rusting, or am I being silly in thinking that aluminum rusts? :p

So, should I look into getting some aluminum screen for my cages or is it alright to stick with door/window screen?

Ah. Thanks. :)

I would get an LLL cage...but I can't really afford it right now, what with shipping costs. I was looking at screameleons complete kits...but woh, those prices are way too high! Even the Medium LLL cage is $50...without shipping. The most I could spend on the cage is $50 TOTAL.

That's why I'm wanting to build it myself. I already have 1.5"x0.75" poplar boards marked for an 18x18x36 cage frame, a good latex-based paint to seal against moisture, and a huge roll of window screen (to enclose the porch for my rabbit). I also already have 10 14" square 'cube' panels that would make a 14x14x28 with easy means to get another set of panels for size increases.

So, now I guess the question is whether or not the aluminum screen comes in different 'types' and if so, which type I need to get for a cham cage? :)

Back
Top Bottom