What to use on the base of my enclosure?

Beckie

Hey guys!
Hope you're all having a good day!
I was wondering if you could all give me some advice/tips. I've got a misting system installed and I am currently using paper towels on the bottom of my little mans enclosure but I wondered if there was anything else I could use to help to collect up the water on the base. I know I definitely don't want a substrate as I will be way too nervy of Pascal eating it.
I also have 3 real plants in the enclosure, I don't know if this makes any difference.
What do you use?
I've only had Pascal less than a week so I'm still having to tweak areas so any other tips will be handy too. :D
Thanks xx

With a mister you will probably have to break down and drill holes at the bottom and make some kind of drainage for your water, that's what most of us do here. We have probably all tried all the other ways before getting to that point, but eventually we surrender to the drainage;)

I just finished a makeshift drainage system that has worked very well for me.

I went to a place called "The Container Store". Pretty much a walmart for storage containers. I found one of those stackable drawers, like this
http://www.stacksandstacks-static.com/images/product/reg-1322067313-44036.jpg

About 24"x16"x6". Closest to the 18"x18" of my current cage I could find. Punched a couple holes along the front end, and then placed a couple thumbtacks along the back edge, to elevate one end of the enclosure floor.

Punched the holes with a hammer and screwdriver. I didnt even need holes in the PVC sheet that comes with the cage, but I suspect that will improve the drainage. My newly acquired drill will make much nicer work of this.

Water flows down to the front, and into the drawer. Every other week I pull out the drawer, empty it into the toilet, spray it with a little soap and water, and replace. Made my life much easier, no standing water in the cage to get contaminated, and no more overflow! Additional drawers can be stacked for storage and elevation as well.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any pictures of their drainage system so I can see what I need to do?:confused:

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any pictures of their drainage system so I can see what I need to do?:confused:

Use the search bar and search "drainage". You'll find lots of threads with great ideas, walk-thru's and photos... :)

I do not currently use a drainage system, and have no issues with humidity. This will depend a lot on what the relative humidity is in the room the enclosure is kept. I use one of those "eco-mats" for the bottom of our enclosure and change it often, and this helps maintain the humidity levels that I want. I believe Pascal is a veiled? I remember reading a few threads about him. As long as the plants offer him a way of supplementing his hydration and you have enough leaves for droplets to collect on, and his urate stays very white, you should be O.K. Having said this, some chams do enjoy a shower now and then, and if this is something you want to offer him in his enclosure I would suggest you do some sort of drainage system ;).

Yer he is a veiled. He doesn't like a shower, he tends to run out if his doors open jist to avoid it. His plants do hold the water nicely but it still gathers at the bottom of his enclosure so I might have a go at a drainage system, at the very least it will entertain me for the weekend :)

Wow. Thanks for the pic. That looks amazing, don't know if mine would turn out like that!
I know this is probably a stupid question but what did you use for the mesh?

Back
Top Bottom