what to feed chameleon

Photo album link doesnt work

but I can see the 3 pictures inserted into the thread. He looks nice. What's with the red light?

Glad he is eating again! Do try to include more feeder options than just crickets and use good fresh vegetables more often for gutload. Keep an eye on the temps.

hi the red lamp is larrys basking lamp i will put some more pictures up from the album

his diet was varied before he was ill but now hes better i can start giving him some other bugs from the links you sent me he mainly eats crickets locusts and fruit and calci worms he has had meal worms previously but i know they are hard for him to digest so i avoid them the pet shops round here dont stock much so will be ordering online

i have some great pics which i will share with you all

well ive been thinking about that the pet shop told me he cant see the red but i believe he can why wouldnt he?? i will be switching to a more natural one
they will give off the same heat as this one wont they

few more pics of larry and his set up

Attachments

• user15046_pic19009_1352552791.jpg
    user15046_pic19009_1352552791.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 141
  • user15046_pic19017_1352553188.jpg
    user15046_pic19017_1352553188.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 143
  • user15046_pic19019_1352553268.jpg
    user15046_pic19019_1352553268.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 120
more pics of larry

Attachments

• user15046_pic19008_1352552791.jpg
    user15046_pic19008_1352552791.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 149
  • user15046_pic19014_1352553107_thumb.jpg
    user15046_pic19014_1352553107_thumb.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 101
  • user15046_pic19021_1352553268_thumb.jpg
    user15046_pic19021_1352553268_thumb.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 104
My male has been the same as yours was :(he was only eating wax worms and the odd morio worm no crickets! And i had the same concerns as you about him not eating crickets that i was gutloading so should i just not give him anything until he eats his crickets? I didnt wanna do this because i was worried about him not getting any calcium will this be fine for a few days? I got a box of locust yesterday and hes straight on that lol but still no crickets:(

The amount of calcium he needs depends on the amount of food he gets really. It's just a question of balance. If I were you I would try to make sure he eats his crickets before he gets his preferred foods, simply because it makes it easier to provide him with a healthy variety.
Larry looks like he gets enough food to grow :), I think feeding him every other day is a better idea. Maybe don't offer him anything at all for 2 days, trick him into thinking that food is scarce.....might make him a bit more enthusiastic for stuff that's not his favourite.

I think Larry is spoiled and is holding you hostage! Wax worms are the worst possible food choice as they are extremely high in fat and have no nutritional value at all! Larry won't starve and its okay for him to go a few days without food so show him who's the boss and hold out until he's hungry enough to eat his crickets!

Also, I haven't read the entire thread but noting the pictures I would take out the substrate on the bottom of Larry's cage. We had a member lose a cham last week after eating some deadfall off the branch of a vine. It became impacted and eventually made its way out through the skin of the leg. It was not pretty and the member lost the cham despite veterinary care. Substrate may help with humidity but you really can't be sure he won't eat it.

Also, the red light needs to go. Replace with a regular household light - that would be an improvement over the infrared light.

Hi i am going to be removing the plantation soil soon but what else can i use?? to keep it humid and safe for him if he falls he has gone nearly a week without wax worms now and is eating his crickets the only reason he was having them was purely on the basis i was checking he was refusing all food because when he became ill he wouldnt eat anything so i went and got wax worms because i thought at least hes getting something but i wont be doing that again im glad hes on the mend i have attached a pic of his tank i have added more branches for him to support him more but hes back to being happy larry again

he is a very spoilt chameleon :)

My male has been the same as yours was :(he was only eating wax worms and the odd morio worm no crickets! And i had the same concerns as you about him not eating crickets that i was gutloading so should i just not give him anything until he eats his crickets? I didnt wanna do this because i was worried about him not getting any calcium will this be fine for a few days? I got a box of locust yesterday and hes straight on that lol but still no crickets:(

hi yes just stop giving him wax worms and he will soon give him to the crickets :) worked a treat worked in a matter of days with larry but dont worry if he goes more than a week without food ive been told they can go up to three weeks without food just make sure hes hydrated

changed larrys tank so he has more branches more place to cool down more places to bask etc

Attachments

• IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 171
hi yes just stop giving him wax worms and he will soon give him to the crickets :) worked a treat worked in a matter of days with larry but dont worry if he goes more than a week without food ive been told they can go up to three weeks without food just make sure hes hydrated

Ok thanks:) he actually ate a cricket this morning only one tho so no more morio or wax worms lol

if you are worried about having substrate yet want something to soften the bottom should he fall, consider a big folded bath towel (changed out frequently)

for humidity, consider a humidifier, misting frequently, etc

if you are worried about having substrate yet want something to soften the bottom should he fall, consider a big folded bath towel (changed out frequently)

for humidity, consider a humidifier, misting frequently, etc

Hi I Did put towels down but he kept moving them about and i was concerned he would succocate himself i suppose i could use a pillow that way he cant!!

Back
Top Bottom