What to do about lazy crickets?

Have you tried Home Depot or Lowes for live plants? Most of the midwest stores have had tropicals in for several weeks now, including ficus, pothos, & possibly hibiscus (though I haven't seen that one at my store yet). They're cheap (I just bought an awesome 4ft Ficus Alii for $17), you don't have to worry about shipping (and no shipping fee!), and you actually get to see what you're buying. They usually have a very nice selection and healthy plants if you go in late winter/early spring before it's all picked over, or during the weeks they receive new shipments. They should all be washed with a mild dishsoap solution to remove anything that could harm your cham, replanted in organic soil, and have the base covered in river rocks so he can't ingest soil.

I've tried Wal-Mart lol and they hardly had anything at all. A few pothos but that's it and the pothos where tiny things climbing up an ugly board. Believe it or not the closest Lowes or Home Depot to me is about 60 miles so before going, I called them and they acted like I was stupid for trying to find a live plant in January so I never bothered to make the drive to check it out.

I was thinking about getting one of walmarts ugly pothos to hold him over until spring but I honestly don't know how it would benefit his habitat any. The plants they have are seriously pathetic looking.

I tried cup feeding one time briefly and by briefly I mean just once one afternoon. As soon as I started to put the cup in, he got as far as way as possible. I even showed him what was in the cup and he avoided it like the plauge.

He seems to really enjoy hunting the crickets as long as they stay up in his level. I think I'm going to add more vines tomorrow and maybe see if I can create a 'cricket highway' to the top of the habitat.

For the past couple of days I've tried to observe the cricket behavior very closely and while this may be just a fluke the past couple of days but, it seems that the crickets like to walk around the habitat in a counter-clockwise movement along the bottom edge. I was thinking about maybe putting a couple of the smaller vines in the bottom along the end and the other end of the vine in one of the spots he likes to sit and hunt. Maybe I can get the crickets to walk right onto his dinner plate lol
Ya mine all venture to the bottom when i first put them in too but because i have some vines that touch the floor, i will come back later and find them throughout the ficus i have. I also went to walmart in the craft section and bought a piece of plastic canvas and leaned it against the glass and the crickets love crawling up that.

Have you tried Home Depot or Lowes for live plants? Most of the midwest stores have had tropicals in for several weeks now, including ficus, pothos, & possibly hibiscus (though I haven't seen that one at my store yet). They're cheap (I just bought an awesome 4ft Ficus Alii for $17), you don't have to worry about shipping (and no shipping fee!), and you actually get to see what you're buying. They usually have a very nice selection and healthy plants if you go in late winter/early spring before it's all picked over, or during the weeks they receive new shipments. They should all be washed with a mild dishsoap solution to remove anything that could harm your cham, replanted in organic soil, and have the base covered in river rocks so he can't ingest soil.

Is there a difference between Golden Pothos and Marble Queen Pothos?

Back
Top Bottom