What the heck is she doing with her eye?

ILoveIris

Hello all

I was going to post a video but it keeps telling me my video is too large. She's acting normal, hunting, eating, drinking, everything looks fine except it looks like she's trying to turn her eyeball inside out. I don't know how else to explain it. She will pull her eye in a bit then kinda pop it back out..

Below are a few pictures of the video I took. Sorry for the poor quality I was holding the camera for what felt like forever trying to catch her doing it again. The lighting is bad she's not really yellow like that..lol.. she was actually a really pretty green striped while I was taking the video.

Thanks all for your advice
Screenshot_20180315-195106.png Screenshot_20180315-195052.png Screenshot_20180315-195042.png Screenshot_20180315-195123.png

Thanks.. I thought that's what she was doing but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bigger problem. Her lights turned off a few min ago.. sooo sounds like a warm morning mist to start the day!

So just an update here.. so Iris eye doesn't seem to be getting any better. Today she won't open this eye. She would open it yesterday when I hand fed her bsf large but today she didn't even want to open her eye for a worm just ran over and stared at it for a while. She's been normal up until today. Even today she's wondering around laying in her basking spot acting fine other than she won't open her eye today..I've misted her with warm water so much now I think she hates me and the sprayer but I don't care if she hates me I want her happy. I'm so worried and I've read saline solution would help and so would a shower. But I still have a lil girl about 5 inches total length so I'm not sure what to do.. how can I make her feel better. Thanks

If she is still trying to clean her eye she may have something stuck in it. Seeing as its been a few days and its not getting better, I agree with the Vet suggestion.

If she is still trying to clean her eye she may have something stuck in it. Seeing as its been a few days and its not getting better, I agree with the Vet suggestion.

I have an appointment tomorrow.. I used a water dropper on her eye last night and after a few drops she started rubbing her eye on my hand. She opened her eye after a few more drips. She ate 3 bsf larvae after. She closed her eye again after.. so I put a few more drips on her eye to keep it moist while she was in her cage. Today she opens her eye and peeks at me. She ate her morning crickets and now waiting for worms. I dripped a few more water drops in her eye today. Her right eye is super active. Looks good. Neither of them look swollen. I just don't know what happened I feel so bad for her.. I dust her crickets with calcium and reptivite on an alternate schedule. Her crickets are gut loaded with romain, potato, small peices of fruits and potatoes and they have the water cube things. She eats horn worms, bsf larvae, crickets and I'm looking for butter and silk worms. She's had wax worms but just a few times. I feel like I'm taking good care of her but I feel like I'm failing and I don't want that for her.

Ugh

Thanks guys for all your help

Increase her misting frequencies and durations. See if you can get human grade retinal/vitamin A gel pills and cut one open. Put one drop on an insect and try to get you cham to eat it. Also, make sure you have proper lighting. Good luck!

Dont feel too badly, obviously you are trying. Your willingness to spend money at the vet indicates you care for your cham. We all have made mistakes as we learn. I have a cham with a small burn because I didn't tape the dimmer switch knob for his baking light in place and it got turned up by accident. That does not mean I am failing my chams, it just means that there is a learning curve and that problems and accidents will inevitably pop up once in a while. Good luck with your cham!

Dont feel too badly, obviously you are trying. Your willingness to spend money at the vet indicates you care for your cham. We all have made mistakes as we learn. I have a cham with a small burn because I didn't tape the dimmer switch knob for his baking light in place and it got turned up by accident. That does not mean I am failing my chams, it just means that there is a learning curve and that problems and accidents will inevitably pop up once in a while. Good luck with your cham!

Thank you.. That makes me feel a little better. The lights that im using are a 5.0 uvb and then a plain ole 60 watt house bulb that are on 12 hour on off timers. Her basking spot, depending on the leaf shes on, is about 7 or 8 inches from the light. My laser thermomoter thing says its 80-85 in her basking spot. Well the vet trip went good.. vet seems to think it's just a really bad dry eye. She took blood and said she didnt see any sign of infection and would call if there were any issues. She also said that it could be a vitamin deficiency that more than likely started with the care of the pet shop I got Iris from. She sent me home with a script and told me to use saline solution a couple times a day on her eye. Geeze I hope this helps..
Thanks so much

I have an appointment tomorrow.. I used a water dropper on her eye last night and after a few drops she started rubbing her eye on my hand. She opened her eye after a few more drips. She ate 3 bsf larvae after. She closed her eye again after.. so I put a few more drips on her eye to keep it moist while she was in her cage. Today she opens her eye and peeks at me. She ate her morning crickets and now waiting for worms. I dripped a few more water drops in her eye today. Her right eye is super active. Looks good. Neither of them look swollen. I just don't know what happened I feel so bad for her.. I dust her crickets with calcium and reptivite on an alternate schedule. Her crickets are gut loaded with romain, potato, small peices of fruits and potatoes and they have the water cube things. She eats horn worms, bsf larvae, crickets and I'm looking for butter and silk worms. She's had wax worms but just a few times. I feel like I'm taking good care of her but I feel like I'm failing and I don't want that for her.

Ugh

Thanks guys for all your help
Try artificial tears not the ones for contacts just the regular ones

Thank you.. That makes me feel a little better. The lights that im using are a 5.0 uvb and then a plain ole 60 watt house bulb that are on 12 hour on off timers. Her basking spot, depending on the leaf shes on, is about 7 or 8 inches from the light. My laser thermomoter thing says its 80-85 in her basking spot. Well the vet trip went good.. vet seems to think it's just a really bad dry eye. She took blood and said she didnt see any sign of infection and would call if there were any issues. She also said that it could be a vitamin deficiency that more than likely started with the care of the pet shop I got Iris from. She sent me home with a script and told me to use saline solution a couple times a day on her eye. Geeze I hope this helps..
Thanks so much
The UVB bulb is linear not the coiled compact bulb right? Also, the retinol/Vitamin A I mentioned was a vitamin that will cause eye issues if deficient, so if the vet didn't give you a vitamin A supplement, I'd get some. I dose my panther with it once a month.

Just an update here folks... Iris passed away on Sunday. I woke up and checked on her and she didnt look good, she was a pretty light green color but was laying flat at the middle of her cage with both eyes closed. Soon after she was gone. Ill spare you the details. She went downhill so fast. I'm so heartbroken. I called the vet on Monday to find out if her blood work had come back yet. She said it did and it didn't look good. She had a vitamin deficiency among some other things she probably had since she was a lil egg. The vet said that's why she was so small and not growing very much. She said she sees this alot from pet store reptiles I feel so bad for Iris and I'm so angry at the store for allowing this to happen. Ugh.. I had so many plans for the the two of us when she got bigger.. I wanted her since I was a little girl and waited till I knew I was ready to treat her like a little queen.. ugh just breaks my heart.
Thanks all for all the great advice I really appreciate it. Take care.

Just an update here folks... Iris passed away on Sunday. I woke up and checked on her and she didnt look good, she was a pretty light green color but was laying flat at the middle of her cage with both eyes closed. Soon after she was gone. Ill spare you the details. She went downhill so fast. I'm so heartbroken. I called the vet on Monday to find out if her blood work had come back yet. She said it did and it didn't look good. She had a vitamin deficiency among some other things she probably had since she was a lil egg. The vet said that's why she was so small and not growing very much. She said she sees this alot from pet store reptiles I feel so bad for Iris and I'm so angry at the store for allowing this to happen. Ugh.. I had so many plans for the the two of us when she got bigger.. I wanted her since I was a little girl and waited till I knew I was ready to treat her like a little queen.. ugh just breaks my heart.
Thanks all for all the great advice I really appreciate it. Take care.
I’m so sorry for your loss. R.I.P Iris

Back
Top Bottom