What species likes it hot?

DanSB

Avid Member
So I'm having some issues keeping the afternoon temps in my house below 85 to 90 and this will likely persist for several months. My house is a Victorian, not really built with temperature in mind and because of some remodeling I can't keep ambient below 80 like last summer and will not be done until around September.

Are there any chameleon species that would do okay with ambient temps between 85 and 90 for several hours in the afternoon?

Many will jump in and might kill me....but...
I live in a VERY hot area... I live in the sonoran desert.... And we have two big air conditioners... one that cools the first floor (during the day), and the other one cools down the second floor during the night (while we are sleeping).
My chameleon (Veiled male cham) is in my room, so he is in on a room temperature of 90 F. (all day long)
He is over 1 year, looking great and good... He actually hates it when room temperatures are around 73.5 F He gets nervious and a bit dumb...
In the night temperature drops to 71F while we are sleeping... and he seems to like that too...
The only thing I do.. is that I dont really have a hot basking bulb... He has a basking spot, but the bulb doesnt provides real heat...
He still likes to sit there all the morning.
He also has very good hydration, and humidity. (mistking and rain) 3 times at day for 10 minutes each session.
Oh, and sometimes when it gets hotter, I turn on the room fan, and thats it...
Like I said, he is VERY healthy and beautiful.... and he seems to looove the way he is.
I have never seen him open his mouth to cool down, and when I handle him, his body is not warm at all...

I would say some of the more commonly seen species that thrive in hotter climates are veileds of course, flap-necks and pardalis. Im sure there are a lot more but those are the first that came to mind. Oh, and my B. pumilum and Ch. africanus like temps that are pretty darn warm!:)

I would say some of the more commonly seen species that thrive in hotter climates are veileds of course, flap-necks and pardalis. Im sure there are a lot more but those are the first that came to mind. Oh, and my B. pumilum and Ch. africanus like temps that are pretty darn warm!:)

I'm sure you know I am interested in both pumilum and africanus
... I had thought ambient at 90 in the afternoon would be too hard on them and my only choice was a male veiled or possibly a flapneck.

I would look into Furcifer oustaleti from western Madagascar. I know a breeder from Sacramento that keeps his outside in 100F temperatures with a constant drip without any problems. Another species although they are much more shy is Furcifer verrucosus. I recommend over sized enclosures for both. I would offer them a lot of shade to both though if your going to keep them in hot temperatures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom