What size enclosure do you start a baby Meller's out in?

My tubbed CH from Mike are still doing well. In fact, I was late with their first meal today, and they all rushed around when the first crix hit the tub. The largest ones have been picking off the quarter-inchers among the crix, and it looks like this week, all six will be up to quarters.

On the lamps, I have been having to turn off my basking lamp when they get too warm. It depends on the building temps in the main studio. When the kiln isn't firing, they are in the cooler kiln room, so I leave the basking lamp on by day. The UVB fluorescent is a ReptiSun 5.0, with the middle of the tube across the short side of the tub, so they can get away from it. The hotspot is a 50w ReptiBulb UVA. I remain impressed at how fast these guys reacted positively to their return to the tub method, as they were at Mike's. My best guess is that they do imprint.

I am cleaning the tub & fake plants every other day with Nolvasan solution (left in for 20 mins). It's astonishing how much so few melleri can poop!

The fake plants have got to go before they hit the chewing-on-greenery stage. I think I have a few weeks yet with these.

To everyone "tubbing": please keep updating this thread because it is important to record everyone's results. Thanks for sharing!

To Kat: apologies for brief PM reply. I am preparing for my biggest trade shows of the year, and I've been short on replies to everyone. Details are beyond my brain now. :D

My tubbed CH from Mike are still doing well. In fact, I was late with their first meal today, and they all rushed around when the first crix hit the tub. The largest ones have been picking off the quarter-inchers among the crix, and it looks like this week, all six will be up to quarters.

Pat ate one cricket infront of me. I haven't been keeping track of how many go into the cage. I was sorta going with the 'if he always has food he won't starve' method. I have about three small silk worm roaming about the cage and a few crickets running around. I think he likes to eat crickets that are dusted.... but the misting ruins that:rolleyes:.

Is this OK coloring K? He goes from dark green or black in the AM to this color by the end of the day.

IMG_7469.jpg

Here are some pics of the 'Tubbing' I have setup.

IMG_7474.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

The drainage holes. I heated up a wire coat hanger with my GF's scented candle... she wasn't happy... and I poked it through the plastic and repeated the process.

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg

Kristina: Do NOT be sorry for the brief replies! I can't expect you to write me novels! You've already been so helpful!:eek:

Summoner: Thanks for the great tub photos! You have quite a set up there!:eek::cool:

Im tubbin it to ;)

He was in a cage, but it was hard to see if he was eating or not or if he could even get to the food. The tub has worked out much better since. Another one of Mikes from FL Chams!

DSC05607.jpg

DSC05608.jpg

DSC05586.jpg

DSC05589.jpg

DSC05606.jpg

I have a group of 8 of Mike's melleri that I purchased when they were 2 weeks old and they have been in small screen cages with live plants the whole time and have been growing like crazy and are very active at this age.
I would like someone to explain why everyone is "tubbing" these guys with some fake plants in the bottom. I think maybe Kent and myself are the only ones that are using screen cages. I know they are younger than most available chams for sale but they are big babies and have no problems finding food. I am willing to learn something new. Curious in Chameleon Land.

I swear I wasn't trying to kill this thread!

Chuck! You murdered my thread!:p

I was curious about the tubbing too....still am a little. Is it for basic feeding purposes? Temperature and humidity? Is there another reason? I know Kristina said hers did better once switched to a tub, but if yours is older (like mine will be) or bigger, or eating fine, is the tub still necessary?

Hell yea man!

WE ARE THE TELEtu.....wait.. no. People are really gonna call us that arnt they?.....gawddammit..

does anything cool happen when our powers combine?

Yay Teletubbies!:p

P.S. Andrew (AND Kristina) I think Skeletor is golf clapping for the tub here!

DSC05606.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Chuck! You murdered my thread!:p

I was curious about the tubbing too....still am a little. Is it for basic feeding purposes? Temperature and humidity? Is there another reason? I know Kristina said hers did better once switched to a tub, but if yours is older (like mine will be) or bigger, or eating fine, is the tub still necessary?

Mike told me to wait till he got to 7 inches Snout to tail before moving him into a cage.

reasons why mike advised me to tub is that food is all around him 360 degrees. he doesnt have to go too far from his safety spot in order to grab a meal. It seems like he would get more exercise in a screen mesh cage, but for now its best to have him to eat as much as possible and then he can work out his muscles more thoroughly when i get him into his screened cage in a few more months.

Tub is easy to clean and maintain. you can also see all the food and what is available to him without crickets and such hiding up in corners.

All plastic vines and the walls of the plastic tub hold water beads EXCELLENTLY giving him alot of places to lap up water from.

In another thread i think "gesang's" They were talking about raising them in the same environment they grew up in since day 1. Its not necessary as others have used screened cages and their melleri are doing fine, but it would probably help them settle in more if their home was "recreated" especially if they no longer have the comfort and companionship of their siblings. When i first brought mine home he turned all brown or grey which was definitely not a good sign since he was so stressed. I put him into his tub and he changed back into his tuxedo colors.

At the SD show i saw 2 huddled together nose to nose basking under the same spot. Seemed like they were getting along really well :)

Hmm, yes I see now. I did plan on replicating how Mike is keeping them at the time that I get mine, no matter what. I was just curious about the tub and why it is a good thing, thanks for answering my question!

Oh, and Andrew, do you mean 7" snout to tail as in snout to vent or as in total length?

Hey, everyone, if I were to get a second, would you recommend a clutch- mate or an unrelated baby?

Last edited:
Hmm, yes I see now. I did plan on replicating how Mike is keeping them at the time that I get mine, no matter what. I was just curious about the tub and why it is a good thing, thanks for answering my question!

Oh, and Andrew, do you mean 7" snout to tail as in snout to vent or as in total length?

Hey, everyone, if I were to get a second, would you recommend a clutch- mate or an unrelated baby?

Unrelated... That way you have a chance to breed them... if they end up being a boy and girl. Orat least that way if they are both girls you can find a un related mate for them..... If they are young they won't care that they are not related.... as far as I know? Maybe K can elaberate better? :eek:

Im sure he meant 7 inches Snout to Tail. 7 inches Snout Vent Length sounds 1 or 2 inches shorter than my male ambilobe when i moved him into his 4'x2'x2' i cant wait to see yours when you get him. You gotta have someone take a pic of your face just for when you open the box :D

Unrelated... That way you have a chance to breed them... if they end up being a boy and girl. Orat least that way if they are both girls you can find a un related mate for them..... If they are young they won't care that they are not related.... as far as I know? Maybe K can elaberate better? :eek:

Summoner: Good point, about the breeding. I wish they were easier to sex so I could be sure to get a male and a female though!

Chad: Oh, I want to see photos of your little arrival!

Andrew: I'll probably cry, so no photos. I get emo around baby animals ;)!

Sorry guys, I am not dead or missing, just got on here real quick, checking PMs while packing for my trade show. (My CH babies are tubbing along with me this trip.) I'll try to answer all the q's separately when I return.

Looks like that's a one-hand golf clap, so maybe he isn't too impressed. lol

Sorry guys, I am not dead or missing, just got on here real quick, checking PMs while packing for my trade show. (My CH babies are tubbing along with me this trip.) I'll try to answer all the q's separately when I return.

Looks like that's a one-hand golf clap, so maybe he isn't too impressed. lol

Yay! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Is this OK coloring K? He goes from dark green or black in the AM to this color by the end of the day.

IMG_7469.jpg

Pat looks happy green to me.

If it was paler or more yellowy-white, you'd know he was overheating. If his greens were grays, it would mean illness.

Back
Top Bottom