What size enclosure do you start a baby Meller's out in?

Or at least that way if they are both girls you can find a un related mate for them..... If they are young they won't care that they are not related.... as far as I know? Maybe K can elaberate better? :eek:

I'd say, get an unrelated and raise them up together. If they get along forever, that's great, especially if they are a proper pair or both females. If they start hating on each other at puberty, well, that's two years from now, and you have time to build the second cage.

It's a lot easier to get courtship started when they've known each other for a long time. Adults who don't know each other can have serious territorial disputes upon introduction, souring "the mood".

I would like someone to explain why everyone is "tubbing" these guys with some fake plants in the bottom. I think maybe Kent and myself are the only ones that are using screen cages. I know they are younger than most available chams for sale but they are big babies and have no problems finding food. I am willing to learn something new. Curious in Chameleon Land.

I can speak for myself only, but I'm tubbing it because the tried-and-true method I used to raise my CBs in 05- live plants, screened enclosure, bowl feeding- failed miserably with the 4-week-olds I got from Mike. In one week, their weights went from 2-3g to 1g or a fraction of gram on some. I switched them to Mike's instructions, plastic plants included (which make me nervous because they are close to the stick-attacking age), and weights shot back up to 2-4g in a week.

They tubbed along on my trade show weekend, set up in my hotel room... shedding and eating and giving me dirty looks, of course.

So, I'm learning something new, too... this is opposite how I did it before, but whatyagonna do? I say, keep them however it works. Don't change yours if they're thriving.

Thanks Kristina! I hope I can afford to get a second, unrelated baby before Mike runs out! It sounds like everyone is getting them now!

I'm just going to take the advice you gave me in your PMs and house him/her however Mike is housing them when I get mine.

Back
Top Bottom