What should I do?

My cousins took care of my 6.5 week old Veiled Chameleon Baby Rufus for 4 days and 5 nights while I was at the beach with my family. I had 1000 black crickets that I had ordered which they kept in their garage. I brought Rufus back home last night and he looked like he had gained some weight.

Here's the thing, I have had Rufus for almost 3 weeks now and I just started to separate his 5 crickets from the rest of the crickets to gutload them. Before I had been gutloading whatever crickets came to the food (carrots, apple, sweet potato, squash, melon, kale, cheerios) got the food even though all the crickets that were on the egg cartons didn't get the food and I fed him the egg carton crickets.

When I got back from the beach, and I went to pick him and the crickets up, I realized that the 1/4 inch crickets grew to about 1/3 inch crickets.

I told my cousins to use a little pinch of Rep-Cal Calcium without Vit. D3 and feed him about 5 crickets. They put too much calcium powder and I think Rufus ate some crickets too big for him or too many for him.

His cage is so big, so I don't know how many or how much to feed him and it is kind of hard for him to find his food, but he eventually does. When he gets a little bit older, I'll get some other feeders.

LLLReptile told me that the 4 week old chams eat about 5-10, 1/8 inch crickets, but they sent me 1/4 inch crickets and he still ate about 4 or 5, 1/4 inch ones without a problem.

Rufus got really pale green when I let him free range on a ficus tree while I was cleaning out his cage.

What do you think I should do?

Should I underfeed, overfeed, or feed him regularly?

Should I not worry so much?

Should I increase or decrease the supplementing because they sprinkled too much?

I think with babies you want to feed them all they can eat. That's particularly true of males. With females, somewhere around 4 or 5 months you'd want to start regulating the food, but for males, you can just let them eat until they are full until they are fully adult.

The standard way to judge a feeder size is that it should not be wider than the space between your chameleon's eyes. It can be longer!

Don't worry about him maybe getting over supplemented for a few days, it's not going to harm him.

My cousins took care of my 6.5 week old Veiled Chameleon Baby Rufus for 4 days and 5 nights while I was at the beach with my family. I had 1000 black crickets that I had ordered which they kept in their garage. I brought Rufus back home last night and he looked like he had gained some weight.

Here's the thing, I have had Rufus for almost 3 weeks now and I just started to separate his 5 crickets from the rest of the crickets to gutload them. Before I had been gutloading whatever crickets came to the food (carrots, apple, sweet potato, squash, melon, kale, cheerios) got the food even though all the crickets that were on the egg cartons didn't get the food and I fed him the egg carton crickets.

When I got back from the beach, and I went to pick him and the crickets up, I realized that the 1/4 inch crickets grew to about 1/3 inch crickets.

I told my cousins to use a little pinch of Rep-Cal Calcium without Vit. D3 and feed him about 5 crickets. They put too much calcium powder and I think Rufus ate some crickets too big for him or too many for him.

His cage is so big, so I don't know how many or how much to feed him and it is kind of hard for him to find his food, but he eventually does. When he gets a little bit older, I'll get some other feeders.

LLLReptile told me that the 4 week old chams eat about 5-10, 1/8 inch crickets, but they sent me 1/4 inch crickets and he still ate about 4 or 5, 1/4 inch ones without a problem.

Rufus got really pale green when I let him free range on a ficus tree while I was cleaning out his cage.

What do you think I should do?

Should I underfeed, overfeed, or feed him regularly?

Should I not worry so much?

Should I increase or decrease the supplementing because they sprinkled too much?
Agree with the first post but just feed him little you can skip a day for now

Back
Top Bottom