What sex is my Panther?

BrandonB21

Hi,

I bought a Ambilobe panther chameleon about 2 months ago from a reputable breeder he in Canada, and was told that it was a male. I looked at other threads about how to sex panthers but i can’t really tell. So i was hoping you guys could help me out and let me know what sex you think he/she is. He/she is 4 months old now.
thanks.

IMG_4496_zpsf56e484e.jpg

IMG_4494_zps4f6e0719.jpg

IMG_4492_zps709a26d9.jpg

IMG_4489_zps3e047472.jpg

IMG_4488_zps596d86ba.jpg

I'd have to disagree, looks female to me. If you've had her for 2 months already, should be at least 4 months by now, in which case that coloration is also very feminine.

I was starting to think she was looking like a female. She has a very wide range of colours though, from very grey with the dark vertical lines which made me think male, and others times very light with more redish/pink colours which made me think female.
And the everytime i looked at the tail base i could never tell, sometime it like a male and other times it would look like a female.

I was really hoping for a male, though even if it’s a female like you say i will be happy. The mother of my cham was a WC who came over gravid, so my cham will have some great genetics and should have some awesome colours, weither it’s male or female.

Thanks for the help.

the last picture looks kinda like a boy but all the rest say girl. there's some really vividly patterned females though :)

I'd have to disagree, looks female to me. If you've had her for 2 months already, should be at least 4 months by now, in which case that coloration is also very feminine.

Looks like a female.

Carl

I would say Female. Looks like my female when she was 4mo.

Yep!! A female...

Dittos to all the above. Looks about 95% female, and that's only because the last perfect guy died about 2000 years ago.

She has not the banding of a male. Not the color of a male. Not the "package" of a male. I'll bet she likes to watch the Home Shopping Network channel as well !

Nice job taking some great photos for this thread. The "reputable breeder" owes you a switch-out, or a discount. That will make them "reputable". btw.

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder that this forum is not for guessing games, as the message states before you post here. There's nothing male looking to this chameleon and responses that could potentially confuse the owner aren't what we're looking for.

Thanks. :)

Dittos to all the above. Looks about 95% female, and that's only because the last perfect guy died about 2000 years ago.

She has not the banding of a male. Not the color of a male. Not the "package" of a male. I'll bet she likes to watch the Home Shopping Network channel as well !

Nice job taking some great photos for this thread. The "reputable breeder" owes you a switch-out, or a discount. That will make them "reputable". btw.

I will be contacting the breeder, i don’t think it will be an issue will the getting the extra money i paid for a male.

I will be contacting the breeder, i don’t think it will be an issue will the getting the extra money i paid for a male.

Without naming the name, let us know how it goes. Mis-identification of sex can be a very honest mistake. It is also one that is hurried-on when animals are sold too small. Time is money, and holding animals until they are 2-3 months old and 5" or more total length is often foregone, especially if you can find buyers to take them tiny. This is one downside of such. So is buying actual males that don't turn out close to what was advertised, as they were sold too small to be confirmed by color-locale in any affirmative way.

But honest mistakes do happen. For an earlier post, "reputable" is based first in how a seller remedies such issues. A seller/breeder who honestly fixes such is then a seller who will make far less mistakes, as they are unprofitable to make. "Reputable" is not a website, and some successful sales, as frankly, anyone can do that. "Reputable" is fixing mistakes.

Hey guys, have an update for you on the chameleon situation.
I have talked to the breeder, and they gave me the option to keep the cham, or trade for a male. I decided to trade for a male because that was what i originally wanted and at this point in time i don’t want to have to deal with females and egg laying.
I will be receiving the male in about a month. I will be keeping the female until i meet with the breeder in order to perform the trade.
It was just an honest mistake in the sexing of the panther. I had no issues with the breeder. They were actually very helpful with the whole situation and everything went extrememly well :)

Back
Top Bottom