What Sex are we???

chamgirl99471

Got these two Fischers in and would like to determine the sex... I have an idea but would like the opinions of the wonderful members here :D Both are different chameleons!

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 175
First, they aren't Fischer's Chameleons (Kinyongia fischeri), they are West Usambara Two-horned Chameleons (Kinyongia multituberculata). That said, both are males.

Chris

If they are both Males one will be sold! I'm looking into breeding them and number 1 is the one I'm going to keep. They are a species of Fischers chameleon... Here are a couple more shots of number 2 :D Thanks for the input.. that's what I thought they were but had to get other opinions... !! He's a bit camera shy so the pictures aren't the best :D

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 166
They are a species of Fischers chameleon...

While they were considered a subspecies of Fischer's Chameleon for a long time ("Bradypodion fischeri multituberculatum" followed by "Kinyongia fischeri multituberculata"), they were reclassified in 2008 and since have been classified as their own species (Kinyongia multituberculata), which is properly referred to as the West Usambara Two-horned Chameleon. In fact, true Fischer's chameleons (Kinyongia fischeri) are very very rare and what we had been calling true Fischer's Chameleons for years are actually another species all together (Kinyongia matschiei), the Giant East Usambara Two-horned Chameleon. While importers and distributers still call all these species Fischer's Chameleons, that is not an accurate reflection of what they are.

Chris

While they were considered a subspecies of Fischer's Chameleon for a long time ("Bradypodion fischeri multituberculatum" followed by "Kinyongia fischeri multituberculata"), they were reclassified in 2008 and since have been classified as their own species (Kinyongia multituberculata), which is properly referred to as the West Usambara Two-horned Chameleon. In fact, true Fischer's chameleons (Kinyongia fischeri) are very very rare and what we had been calling true Fischer's Chameleons for years are actually another species all together (Kinyongia matschiei), the Giant East Usambara Two-horned Chameleon. While importers and distributers still call all these species Fischer's Chameleons, that is not an accurate reflection of what they are.

Chris

Wow, thank you Chris...I was wondering the history of the name and glad you explained it! :)

If they are both Males one will be sold! I'm looking into breeding them and number 1 is the one I'm going to keep. They are a species of Fischers chameleon... Here are a couple more shots of number 2 :D Thanks for the input.. that's what I thought they were but had to get other opinions... !! He's a bit camera shy so the pictures aren't the best :D

Just curious, where did you get these guys from? And why did you buy them when they're both male when you wanted a pair in the first place?

@ kris i've bred about 15 years ago and then they were called bradypodion fisheri and now its kinyongia ,is that correct ?

I got them in trade... They didn't have any other then these two and as I said.... new to this type so I wasn't sure. I did my research and they are set up accordingly but now on the hunt for a female :D I Love chameleons and have owned many so I'm trying new species now.

I got them in trade... They didn't have any other then these two and as I said.... new to this type so I wasn't sure. I did my research and they are set up accordingly but now on the hunt for a female :D I Love chameleons and have owned many so I'm trying new species now.

Oh I see, I love this species. I've a k. Multi as well! If your looking for a female, pm seeco. He breeds these guys and has an awesome breeding group.

LOL... Yeah.. I got lucky with these two.. hard to chose which one I want to keep.. they are both extremely curious and active but I love the purple spot on number 1

LOL... Yeah.. I got lucky with these two.. hard to chose which one I want to keep.. they are both extremely curious and active but I love the purple spot on number 1

My guy is super active and loves to climb onto me any chance he gets. He's definitely a character! Just love him, you should keep both!

Back
Top Bottom