What questions to ask a private breeder

Flick boy

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all hope you are all well. So seen a private breeder advertise a baby 5.5 nosy faly. So what questions should I ask . I.e parents, are they a registered breeder etc ,tested for parasites. Tia

For sure do they test for parasites... I would ask for images of the parents. Images of the enclosure they have the baby in... If you see they do not use T5HO lighting that would be a big red flag. What is their supplement routine and what supplements?

Hi all hope you are all well. So seen a private breeder advertise a baby 5.5 nosy faly. So what questions should I ask . I.e parents, are they a registered breeder etc ,tested for parasites. Tia
A lot has been written on questions to ask when vetting breeders—not so much what to ask once a breeder has been selected. However there's a lot on what to look for—or avoid—when inspecting the animal.

You can find some information in the Resources section.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/

There is no licensing that I'm aware of in the U.S.; things may be different there in the U.K.—IDK. 🤷‍♂️

I would want to know what it's been eating, quantities, and frequency. Same with drinking water, misting, fogging. Supplements & schedule. Lighting & schedule. Temps & humidities. Medical history & tests—if any. Basically, anything related to it's care up to the point of your taking over.

I'm not sure what can be told by pics of lineage. Most breeders want to put their best foot forward, so they're understandably going to show the best pics they've got. However, what sire & dame look like may not reflect what the offspring will look like (and IMO shouldn't matter—#1 priority should be a healthy animal that's been well cared for).

Assuming you'll have a parent with you, let them ask anything they want, and listen to their input.

1646258694379.png

Sometimes you can learn more about this kind of thing by reading the breeder than you can by looking at the chameleon. If you get a hinky feeling about anything, don't be afraid to walk away. We all get emotionally charged with anticipation and the heat of the moment, but there will ALWAYS be another chameleon, another breeder, another opportunity. Often for the better.

Rescues are a little different, but IMO when dealing with a breeder, you shouldn't have to settle.

Good Luck & Best Wishes

One or two specific questions I like to ask are about feeders and supplements. You can tell a lot by the variety, quality of gut load and the specifics of their supplement schedule. If they have been improperly supplemented, over or under, they will not be off to a good start. You need to know what the right answer is in advance. I personally do 2 parasite checks a few weeks apart but that may be beyond the scope of most breeders.

A lot has been written on questions to ask when vetting breeders—not so much what to ask once a breeder has been selected. However there's a lot on what to look for—or avoid—when inspecting the animal.

You can find some information in the Resources section.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/

There is no licensing that I'm aware of in the U.S.; things may be different there in the U.K.—IDK. 🤷‍♂️

I would want to know what it's been eating, quantities, and frequency. Same with drinking water, misting, fogging. Supplements & schedule. Lighting & schedule. Temps & humidities. Medical history & tests—if any. Basically, anything related to it's care up to the point of your taking over.

I'm not sure what can be told by pics of lineage. Most breeders want to put their best foot forward, so they're understandably going to show the best pics they've got. However, what sire & dame look like may not reflect what the offspring will look like (and IMO shouldn't matter—#1 priority should be a healthy animal that's been well cared for).

Assuming you'll have a parent with you, let them ask anything they want, and listen to their input.

View attachment 320760

Sometimes you can learn more about this kind of thing by reading the breeder than you can by looking at the chameleon. If you get a hinky feeling about anything, don't be afraid to walk away. We all get emotionally charged with anticipation and the heat of the moment, but there will ALWAYS be another chameleon, another breeder, another opportunity. Often for the better.

Rescues are a little different, but IMO when dealing with a breeder, you shouldn't have to settle.

Good Luck & Best Wishes
Almost forgot... (Actually, I did forget, but I just 'membered, so...) :rolleyes:

Ask about guarantees of health & sex, and if you can contact them later if any questions or problems arise. I guess that's 'service after the sale'. Some breeders may not want to give guarantees, and I can understand some of their reasoning, but in the end I think it will come down to what kind of folks they are—character & principles.

You've probably seen different breeders either extolled or disparaged in posts here. IMO, the best ones don't need to give guarantees because they stand behind their stock and will do the right thing by their customers. Others, despite having flashy websites with glowing testimonials, won't respond to calls or emails. Caveat Emptor.

Pictures of lineage show how they care for their adults... Are they overweight, prior burns, MBD... Etc. Also shows the color potential of the sire that your baby could develop.

Thanks guys and gals. All I know currently is they are not commercial breeders , but are licensed which would mean have been vetted by local council baby has not been tested for parasites.

Back
Top Bottom