what plants do you put in your terrariums?

melmelion

i need something that i could find in my back yard..... dont really have money to go buy something....

Don't know where you are from but the plants I see used in Cham enclosures are usually tropicals. A pothos will fill in a cage in no time and a small one can be found at walmart for cheap. I'd start there.

Be careful

Try and find a old grape vines and steal some thick dead "wood" branches to use as perches. You should soak them in the bath tub for an hour then throw them into the oven for about 30 minutes or until visibly dry at 350ºF

You an use google to help you find out where and what to find when looking for plants or trees in your area.

***There are things you need to pay close attention to****
Make sure that what you find matches the exact description of whatever you find that you want to use. Use this plants name and species to search for toxicity on google.

For my example I used a google search for "field guide common plants shrubs new hampshire"
This should be adjusted to your state and city if possible.
Find the description of the plant and make sure the details match.

If you choose to go this route then I STRONGLY recommend you look you double check what a healthy version of the plant you find should look like as well as any poisonous look alike plants.

*Also very important *

Make sure that you go far enough into the woods, forest, mountains, plains, bogs, swamps or whatever place might be naturally preserved and pesticide free. Areas that are treated with insecticides and pesticides will be heavily contaminated months after the initial treatment. In the eyes of the chemical agents used for this process, your chameleon is a pest that needs to be destroyed. This is not good and is why most people avoid going about this in this fashion.

Make sure you are not bringing crazy pests or bacteria in your house as well. However after placing a 4" layer of small rocks on top of the plants pot; you should be alright.

Second method is to find a plant and describe it to google.
For example if you see a "short bush woody stems blue berries" search for exactly that on google you can usually find a random field guide that has a plant linked to its description that will show you a picture to reference it to. The field guide for your local area will always be the most relaible.

Good luck and please be safe.
You can not only kill your chameleon by doing this; but you are also capable of endangering the security of you and every other animal and person residing in your home.

Not to discern you just please do your homework before you bring plants from outside inside.

its what i like and im gonna stick to it! i love chams!!!!!!!!!

Exactly you love chams but dont wont to go buy plants? If you can't pay for plants you honestly shouldn't make a cham suffer. Loving them over loving taking care of them is a whole nother thing. Like dom said i dont chams are for you.

its what i like and im gonna stick to it! i love chams!!!!!!!!!

I just read your last thread. "how am i going to keep it alive"

You mentioned it was because Michigan isn't close to their natural environment. You're right, its not. Thats why we set these enclosures up with live plants, lighting, supplements, etc.

Honestly, you should have this cage running for at least a week, acting like you indeed have a cham already. Misting, Temp checking, etc. That fact that you're asking about plants 2 days before you're scheduled chameleon arrival tells me you're not quite ready. I am not saying you need to give up on chams, i am saying you need to do more research and make sure you can afford them. Feeders are not cheap. You need to have a variety. Not just crickets and meal worms. You'll want to offer silks, horns, dubia, flies, mantis. Not all of these at once, but on a rotation.

Then what happens if the animal needs a vet visit? these can get into the hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't mention the financial part, but you brought it up saying you cant afford to buy a plant. Which in my opinion is the cheapest part of cham keeping.

If you can, i suggest canceling your order for your veiled that's being delivered on tuesday. Get everything figure out and a functional cage running for at LEAST a week. I have been working on my new giant FR for a melleri for 2 months now. I have all the lights and water running on a normal schedule to make sure everything is how it should be.

Please dont take this as being rude, i just want to be honest and help you and your future chameleon out.

i need something that i could find in my back yard..... dont really have money to go buy something....

where do you live?

A pothos or ficus plant wouldn't cost much, less than $30 each. Remember to wash both sides of the leaves to remove sprayed on fungicides, pesticides, and fertilizers.

If that is a greater amount than you can afford, you are not financially ready to own/care for a chameleon. plants are one of the less expensive parts of the hobby. Even if you live somewhere that tropical / appropriate plants thrive in backyards, you're still gonna need to have financial resources / savings.

....have [the] cage running for at least a week, acting like you indeed have a cham already. Misting, Temp checking, etc. That fact that you're asking about plants 2 days before you're scheduled chameleon arrival tells me you're not quite ready. I am not saying you need to give up on chams, i am saying you need to do more research and make sure you can afford them. Feeders are not cheap. You need to have a variety. Not just crickets and meal worms. You'll want to offer silks, horns, dubia, flies, mantis. Not all of these at once, but on a rotation.

Then what happens if the animal needs a vet visit? these can get into the hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't mention the financial part, but you brought it up saying you cant afford to buy a plant. Which in my opinion is the cheapest part of cham keeping.

If you can, i suggest canceling your order for your veiled that's being delivered on tuesday. Get everything figure out and a functional cage running for at LEAST a week.

good advise.

Back
Top Bottom