What more can I do for my little guy?

Are the bands of shed on arms and legs constricting or loose? Also, not that it matters to the current concern, but I think your cham is a little girl.
I'm pretty sure they're loose, but I've been keeping an eye on them bc I know that chams have lost fingers and toes due to lack of blood flow bc of stuck shed. I've tried lightly pulling on it once but he got mad at me so I left it alone. Omg really? What makes you say that? The guy at the reptarium said he's "more than likely" a boy but he was probably just telling me what I wanted to hear in order to get me to buy him or her or them lol

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? humidity stays between 50-80%. after i mist it'll go up to 75 or 80% then as times goes on and the water begins to evaporate it'll drop to around 50/60% and i'll let it stay there to create that drier period. i have taped vinyl shower curtains to 3 sides of the enclosure and i hand mist w lukewarm water every 4/5 hours.
I am assuming that you are hand misting during the day? That's fine, but increasing humidity during high temps increases the chances of RIs. Does your little guy ever sit with his nose up or have bubbles coming from his nose?

If it's helpful, I can attach some pictures later in the thread of him or his enclosure or whatever else is necessary. Please help me out, I'm so worried tomorrow morning I'm gonna wake up to him laying on the floor of his enclosure ):
I think this may be the only way to find more clues as to what is wrong.

basking bulb i have a normal home light thats 75w (recommended by neptune the chameleon on yt)
Do you still have the box for the bulb? Could you send a pic? You have to be careful with bulbs because they will say 75watt but then in parenthese it will say (75-watt equivalent, uses 13 watts) or something along those lines. I think Neptune got that light when ecosmart was starting to become more energy efficient because the bulb she uses is actually 50 something watts if I recall correctly (even though it advertises as a 75-watt equivalent). If you can send a pic of the box, that could rule out a weak basking spot. Are you confident about your basking spot temperature? Is he dark or light in his colors? Chameleons need heat to synthesize D3 so if he isn't getting adequate heat, he may be getting mbd which could be a clue about the wobbles. Are you watching him eat? Have you seen him shoot his tongue?

I don't want to alarm you, I am more just spitballing at this point. But do send the pics of the lightbulb box. Look for a smaller wattage under the 75 watts in big letters. If it uses 13 watts, the basking temp may not get up to good temps.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you and your cham are facing. Shame on the sellers. You are amazing coming here and asking questions!

I'm pretty sure they're loose, but I've been keeping an eye on them bc I know that chams have lost fingers and toes due to lack of blood flow bc of stuck shed. I've tried lightly pulling on it once but he got mad at me so I left it alone. Omg really? What makes you say that? The guy at the reptarium said he's "more than likely" a boy but he was probably just telling me what I wanted to hear in order to get me to buy him or her or them lol
As long as the shed isn’t cutting off circulation.
I’m not very good at sexing panthers, but the base of the tail looks quite thin.
When you call the vet in the AM, make sure to tell them it’s an emergency. With little ones the quicker they are tended to, the better the outcome.

I’ll post a gutload image below. I have no idea for two-month olds, but definitely no higher than 80*F, someone else will clarify. His UVB bulb should be 8-9” away from his basking branch. Home improvement stores have cheap and accurate digital thermometer-hygrometer combos in the weather section. I use three, one near the top of the cage, one in the middle, and one at the bottom. Granted, that’s for a bigger cage, but de get at least one. Get the digital thermometer with a probe, too. I also have an infrared temp gun to spot check areas. I’ve edited my post because you said he only fell once. If he continues to fall, make a hospital bin for him. It basically does exactly what you said and is used as the enclosure (and shorter). He could have parasites overexposure of UVB, or something else wrong with him that you can’t see. Definitely try to get bloodwork done at the vet, along with doing x-rays and a fecal float (bring a fresh fecal sample with you)
Okay I will move his basking branch down further. I will definitely make a trip to home depot asap and get one of those. I have a thermometer/hygrometer combo currently, I'm not sure if you can see it in the pictures but it's just from petsmart so I'll look at home depot. Okay, I'll research how to make a hospital bin and maybe put it in tonight just in case. I havent seen any fecal matter at the bottom of his enclosure recently, but yesterday he ate 3 bugs which is sadly a lot for him so hopefully tonight or tomorrow there will be a new one down there. Thank you so much for all your advice.

Don’t be disappointed in yourself, you didn’t know, and you (and anyone) would’ve trusted the chameleon seller on your cham’s age! Only a few tweaks (literally only 3- they aren’t even drastic or close to that) are needed once he pulls through. You’ve been fantastic with him!
Thank you so much. That makes me feel so much better, and gives me hope that he will pull through. Thank you :)

Okay I will move his basking branch down further. I will definitely make a trip to home depot asap and get one of those. I have a thermometer/hygrometer combo currently, I'm not sure if you can see it in the pictures but it's just from petsmart so I'll look at home depot. Okay, I'll research how to make a hospital bin and maybe put it in tonight just in case. I havent seen any fecal matter at the bottom of his enclosure recently, but yesterday he ate 3 bugs which is sadly a lot for him so hopefully tonight or tomorrow there will be a new one down there. Thank you so much for all your advice.
Depending on the size of the bugs you fed but aren’t they supposed to eat a lot when they’re only babies?

Sorry, here’s the image. Also posting a clear pic of him standing straight on a branch with his tail straight out will help us sex him
Is this okay?
jupey str8 tail.PNG

Yeah I know I’m sorry if it came off as rude 😕I was the one that tagged you and a few others to help her and her cham :)
Sorry, it’s just the OP and others have posted on this thread about why he/she isn’t eating like he/she should

I am assuming that you are hand misting during the day? That's fine, but increasing humidity during high temps increases the chances of RIs. Does your little guy ever sit with his nose up or have bubbles coming from his nose?

I think this may be the only way to find more clues as to what is wrong.

Do you still have the box for the bulb? Could you send a pic? You have to be careful with bulbs because they will say 75watt but then in parenthese it will say (75-watt equivalent, uses 13 watts) or something along those lines. I think Neptune got that light when ecosmart was starting to become more energy efficient because the bulb she uses is actually 50 something watts if I recall correctly (even though it advertises as a 75-watt equivalent). If you can send a pic of the box, that could rule out a weak basking spot. Are you confident about your basking spot temperature? Is he dark or light in his colors? Chameleons need heat to synthesize D3 so if he isn't getting adequate heat, he may be getting mbd which could be a clue about the wobbles. Are you watching him eat? Have you seen him shoot his tongue?

I don't want to alarm you, I am more just spitballing at this point. But do send the pics of the lightbulb box. Look for a smaller wattage under the 75 watts in big letters. If it uses 13 watts, the basking temp may not get up to good temps.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you and your cham are facing. Shame on the sellers. You are amazing coming here and asking questions!
Yes, I hand mist with a pumper one from home depot. No he doesn't thankfully, but I always make sure to keep an eye put for that because I know chams have sensitive little lungs.

This is the exact box. Is it the tiny "uses only 53W" underneath the 75W? I've never noticed that before /: but I still make sure to check the temp w a heat gun and for a little guy like my cham I think it's an okay heat.
ecosmart bulb.JPG

His colors used to tend to change a bit, but at the moment he's normally quite dark but I think it's because right now his little body is fighting as hard as it can. Yes I do make sure to watch him eat, especially now since he's deteriorating so fast. I make sure I watch from afar though since I know some chams can be shy eaters. I make a little feeder run cup and I hook it onto the door right near a nice big branch so it's quite convenient. Yes, I love watching his tongue shoot out! It's so amazing, definitely one of my favorite parts about chameleons!

I don't think I can be much more alarmed than I already am right now lol, thank you for asking all those questions, any little bit of new information I can get I will gladly take! & Thank you so much. I was a bit hesitant at first bc I was so disappointed in myself and I felt like a terrible cham mother but I'm so glad I did. :)

The wattage doesn’t matter as long as the bulb is far enough away and the temps are correct. As long as it’s 80% humidity only right after misting, you’re fine. Panthers need 50-60/70% during the day and up to 100% at night

Taking the vinyl wrap off one or both sides will help lower humidity. Also only use room temp water for misting. Don’t be hesitant asking questions or wanting more info on someting, it’s how you learn (and you’re doing an awesome job so far)!

Back
Top Bottom